Cancel MG4 Trophy and go for Megane E-Tech?

I’m waiting to pick my MG4 Trophy up at the beginning of March a shining Dynamic Red one. Price and warranty are major factors as well as a helpful dealer in Swansea.
Have to say I really like the car apart from software niggles which will be resolved over time (Hopefully). I like the dynamic Red (mine is black which looks good but is a pain to keep clean, I would have gone red but couldn't wait).

I’m losing confidence a little in the MG warranty. It looks great on the face of it - 7 Years. But as with many warranties a lot of items are not covered for this time period and the battery and motor has 7 Years instead of most others who do 8 Years - so you lose a Year there.
Having said all that, the biggest factor for me is that MG seem to like to query and procrastinate over warranty claims and leave owners hanging - I don’t like the sound of that at the moment.

Having read up on a few threads in the other forums, its really not a case of grass is greener...tbh I think most of these manufacturers bringing these new EV's to market at the moment are struggling with adhoc build specs, QC issues, and software bugs that you wouldn't usually expect in such abundance and that the dealer networks are ill equipped and ill informed to deal with them.

Nearly every EV model has an accompanying steady stream of dissatisfaction in the threads, with Renault certainly featuring some howlers with this launch and aftersales, along with the likes of MG, Tesla, VAG, Kia, Hyundai, Nissan etc.

Ultimately the days of brands trying to build customer relationships through value and confidence, with a dose of good aftersales service seems to be in the past in the brave new world of EV's.

And for dealerships....margins are probably slimmer than ever, sales people are probably struggling to upsell much with most ranges having limited options to spec so just care about overall numbers, and the limited servicing side of evs means much less opportunity for future fleecing of the customer in the years to come, so less incentive to cultivate an ongoing relationship.

Honestly which ever car people decide is right for them, I hope everyone takes in all of the valuable information across these threads from customers of the respective brand/model and goes into the purchase with their eyes wide open.

I’m losing confidence a little in the MG warranty. It looks great on the face of it - 7 Years. But as with many warranties a lot of items are not covered for this time period and the battery and motor has 7 Years instead of most others who do 8 Years - so you lose a Year there.
Having said all that, the biggest factor for me is that MG seem to like to query and procrastinate over warranty claims and leave owners hanging - I don’t like the sound of that at the moment.

Slight factual error Battery is 8 Years

"The MG4 EV offers the reassurance of
our full 7 year or 80,000 mile warranty, whichever
comes first. What’s more, your battery is covered

by an 8 year warranty"

But yeah, even then the MG 7 year warranty should be caveated with a capital C, compared to the one I've enjoyed with our Kia for the past 7 years, its much less comprehensive with many more limitations that have shorter spans than one might expect based on that headline number.

This is my first posting after a couple of months avidly following every thread on the MG4. Firstly thanks for that to all members.
I ordered a Trophy in early December with delivery expected 16/18 weeeks. Chose it over VW iD3 and Kya Niro. Poor communication since from the dealer (with a big South-East presence) combined with a vast range of problems here (with car and with MG and dealers response) has left me hoping for the best rather than being excited as I was at the start. I emailed dealer asking for some reassurance as to how they would respond to issues like the bulging undertray and they have so far just ignored me. I have booked a test drive of a Megane E-Tech this afternoon. More money but the build quality, infotainment and driver safety features seem to be much better. Define 'value for money'?
I know the MG4 is Car of the Year but that was decided by 61 motoring journalist handed a presumably perfect model for a few hours. There was no user input in the voting. They probably didn't crawl under it to check for leaks or bulges or have to deal with endless software updates and recalls etc. I note now that it's the same red and white MG4s used in the youtube videos by most of the journalists (check out the reg numbers!).
Moving on, I would welcome any thoughts on the Megane please. Personal choice I know but things to look out for that might not jump out at me...good and not so good would be welcome.
Simply wouldn't work for me. Just looked on Renault website. Putting same £1000 cash down and a PX of £7k, the base model Mégane would cost me £363 per month over 48 months. The MG4 SE I've ordered is £258 month which includes the service package. I'm not that flush that £110 difference doesn't matter. I went for the MG4 because of the great value. Problems will get ironed out on a 7 year warranty. I'll take my chances.

The MG warranty does sound great but as stated is not comparable to say Kia's 7 years.
There are alot of items dropping off as happens with most warranties to be fair.

With regards price I paid just over £38k I got £1200 off and didn't pay extra for my paint.
I also got an extra £1k for my px. So brings it down to £37k ish. That £4k more than a Trophy with optional paint. The lower APR rate from Renault will also save you well over a grand over the 4 years.

I agree re every new car has issues, Renault biggest "Howler" is the dissatisfaction with pre orders of launch editions, some kit has dropped off between ordering and releasing (only impacting LE's) This is poor but not a quality and reliability issue. There are definitely a couple of other minor niggles that have been fixed with out issue.

Just a side note Renaults service package, if you use their finance, is £3.99 a month for 3 years. So under £48 a year.

Just a side note Renaults service package, if you use their finance, is £3.99 a month for 3 years. So under £48 a year.
I actually looked at the Mégane before the prices were released and I do really like it. The problem I have is that we seem to be moving away from the value/ cost issue. When the MG4 came out, it was applauded for being the right car at the right (sub £30k) price amongst a sea of overpriced, out of reach £36k to £45k competition. I think we've lost that message along the way.

Slight factual error Battery is 8 Years

"The MG4 EV offers the reassurance of
our full 7 year or 80,000 mile warranty, whichever
comes first. What’s more, your battery is covered

by an 8 year warranty"

But yeah, even then the MG 7 year warranty should be caveated with a capital C, compared to the one I've enjoyed with our Kia for the past 7 years, its much less comprehensive with many more limitations that have shorter spans than one might expect based on that headline number.
Where did you get that statement about 8 year battery warranty please? I can’t see it - is it the uk warranty?
This is what I found.

Where did you get that statement about 8 year battery warranty please? I can’t see it - is it the uk warranty?
This is what I found.
aftercare_batt.JPG
Just in the downloadable MG4 brochure from the MG UK site. Its on Page 35 under the Aftercare heading.

https://www.mg.co.uk/sites/default/files/2022-10/MG4-EV-Brochure_0.pdf

Like @Leni16 I cancelled my MG4 Trophy order and bought a Megane E-Tech Techno. I won't bore you with the reasons why or tell you how pleased I am with the Megane - this is an MG4 forum after all ;)

However, if anyone is wondering about the Megane battery warranty, it's also 8 years.

Like @Leni16 I cancelled my MG4 Trophy order and bought a Megane E-Tech Techno. I won't bore you with the reasons why or tell you how pleased I am with the Megane - this is an MG4 forum after all ;)

However, if anyone is wondering about the Megane battery warranty, it's also 8 years.
I'd be interested😉

We have (against my best advice) had several Renaults in our family. Laguna, Megane, Captur.

Every single one depreciated like crazy.

Take the Laguna. Bought at 6 months old, demonstrator. 18k new, 12k at 6 months. Sold at 3 years with around 50000 on clock for 4.5k.

Plus it had bushes wearing out on suspension- not warranty - at 2.5 years.

If you buy a Renault without a pcp look hard at the residuals

All Car's residuals can be a lottery, unless the MG4 gets sorted (especially the early batches) they could suffer as people may only consider later cars when hopefully all the issues have been fixed at source.

As far as fit and finish is concerned the Mégane compared to the 4 is another level, which should be the case with the difference in price.

PCP’s and lease deals are usually a good indication of where the residuals are expected to sit.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 510 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back