Cancel MG4 Trophy and go for Megane E-Tech?

Tesla & Born tests drives next is it? You've certainly tested a fairly wide spectrum of EV's there from a couple of the new upstarts to a well established one in Tesla. I found the Born pretty impressive to sit in, a step up from the MG4 for me in interior quality overall.

Megane wise I think it looks very smart, but looks too much like a SUV to me, despite it's dimensions suggesting otherwise.

so does the Megane have Carplay, or is it purely Android ?
Does it also have physical buttons for the aircon control ?

I was almost switching my allegience to a Zoe, until I watched the NCAP tests :)

Tesla & Born tests drives next is it? You've certainly tested a fairly wide spectrum of EV's there from a couple of the new upstarts to a well established one in Tesla. I found the Born pretty impressive to sit in, a step up from the MG4 for me in interior quality overall.

Megane wise I think it looks very smart, but looks too much like a SUV to me, despite it's dimensions suggesting otherwise.
Yes test driving those two Sunday, as well as getting back in an MG4. That'll be it after that (don't want to waste dealer's time).

For me the Born is least likely of the options, mainly because I think it's most similar to the MG4 and therefore it'll be harder to justify the price difference.

Can understand what you mean about the SUV look of the Renault. My wife's friends all drive them though and she's a conformist!

I was almost switching my allegience to a Zoe, until I watched the NCAP tests :)
Yes it has apple Carplay. However I'm not sure you'd want to use it ahead of the inbuilt google software. You can, for example, install the likes of Spotify directly on to the unit. And the google maps integration is much better than if you used it through android Auto or Carplay (it uses both the screens fully), but the option is there if you want it.

The voice controls also worked really well. You could turn on the heated seats, change the regen etc with voice.

It's well worth trying out.

Edit - missed the question re air con controls. It definitely does have physical buttons for the air con (separate ones for passenger and driver). But then the MG can have physical buttons for air con too if you set the steering wheel up for it.

I never actually test drove a Tesla I decided it was out of my price range. A bit tempted when it dropped in price but, interestingly, my neighbour has had one for a month and I asked him today how he was getting on. He thought for a moment and said 'it's OK but I am already thinking about my next car' and that tells me something' He said it was 'bland' inside the ride wasn't great and his 2 young children felt sick travelling in the back (never happened before). He was uncomfortable having to take his attention from the road ahead so was using voice control for pretty much everything. He just seemed to think it was dull after the first week of having something different. Made me feel like I may have dodged a bullet. I didn't get on to asking him if he was comfortable buying into the Elon Musk brand cos I'm sensitive like that. I chose an MG4 because it certainly didn't feel dull or bland but for the reasons already covered (o death) I cancelled and went for the Megane.
I have had 6 new cars in my life (all comapny leased) and apart from a Rover 216 SE in 1988 I think it was, I never had any problems causing me to have to go back to the dealer. I know the technology has vastly changed but I am not prepared to accept the 'all cars have their faults' and 'they will sort it out eventually' approach. We should have higher expectations for the money we are paying.

I never actually test drove a Tesla I decided it was out of my price range. A bit tempted when it dropped in price but, interestingly, my neighbour has had one for a month and I asked him today how he was getting on. He thought for a moment and said 'it's OK but I am already thinking about my next car' and that tells me something' He said it was 'bland' inside the ride wasn't great and his 2 young children felt sick travelling in the back (never happened before). He was uncomfortable having to take his attention from the road ahead so was using voice control for pretty much everything. He just seemed to think it was dull after the first week of having something different. Made me feel like I may have dodged a bullet. I didn't get on to asking him if he was comfortable buying into the Elon Musk brand cos I'm sensitive like that. I chose an MG4 because it certainly didn't feel dull or bland but for the reasons already covered (o death) I cancelled and went for the Megane.
I have had 6 new cars in my life (all comapny leased) and apart from a Rover 216 SE in 1988 I think it was, I never had any problems causing me to have to go back to the dealer. I know the technology has vastly changed but I am not prepared to accept the 'all cars have their faults' and 'they will sort it out eventually' approach. We should have higher expectations for the money we are paying.

I am a bit concerned about how the Tesla will ride.

I think it could be a bit too much to adjust to for my wife, both in terms of how it drives and its size. She will be coming from a Nissan Micra 😂 With me working from home now 90% of the time she'll be the main driver. If she is involved in a bump then the higher insurance group and repair costs are also a concern.

What colour and trim E-Tech did you opt for out of interest?

I think it could be a bit too much to adjust to for my wife, both in terms of how it drives and its size. She will be coming from a Nissan Micra 😂 With me working from home now 90% of the time she'll be the main driver. If she is involved in a bump then the higher insurance group and repair costs are also a concern.

The red with the ceramic grey roof and wing mirrors.

20230201_170608 (1).jpg

Bonnet slightly lifted as there was a showroom power cable attached

Bonnet slightly lifted as there was a showroom power cable attached

Physical buttons for driver passenger fan speed and temp direction etc, rear demister, physical button for LKA, paddles for regen and big button on wheel for drive mode.

Techno.

Attachments

• IMG_20230104_155117.jpg
    IMG_20230104_155117.jpg
    273.9 KB · Views: 96
That looks like ceramic grey main colour (same as my roof). I think I prefer your choice but actually l always prefer colours I haven't chosen. My wife says I have that FOMO condition (fear of missing out).

So had first test drives of the Tesla and Born today, a further drive of the MG, and we went back to look at the Megane in daylight.

Ruled the Born out quickly. We felt the interior, even in the top V3 spec, felt a bit cheap (more so than the MG). We had one phone have problems connecting via Bluetooth. The heads up display was gimicky. The dashboard and steering wheel controls were as expected found lacking. A nice drive but not noticeably better than the MG. The boyracer looks aren't really for us either. I find it hard to believe anyone could justify the price difference over an MG. Availability also seems an issue for any model other than base V1 trim.

We liked driving the Tesla. The extra power and acceleration was noticeable (but not necessary by any means). The cabin is a lot lighter than the other options because of the sunroof. We didn't find the navigation software brilliant, nor having to rely on the single central screen for everything. The increased insurance costs bothers us, as does the £100/year for the premium connectivity. Buying a 2021 model or later second hand wouldn't be a problem for us though (as the spec has barely changed since then).

MG interior actually better than I remembered it. And definitely a nice drive. I wanted to try out Android Auto which annoyingly wasn't a possibility as the dealer didn't have a cable and we didn't bring one. Boot smaller than I remembered. My wife is annoyed that we didn't order the Trophy and that we went with white for the SE LR we did order at £28,500 in November, liking the red in the showroom, but that was where we felt our budget stretched to at the time. Going to be at least £3k-£4k more now for a Trophy in red, plus a likely long wait.

Last up saw the Megane again in daylight. Definitely still favourite with my wife. I like the dash and infotainment most out of the 3. Cabin a bit dark though. View out the rear an issue. I'm not sure it drove as well, but we may look to take it out again to get it on some faster roads and out of eco.

Other than ruling out the Born, not really helped our decision much.

Well, I have now driven all three of the major ones on my list:

MG4 - was a LR SE
Megane E-Tech (Techno Version)
Tesla Model 3 (Standard Range - pre facelift)
and we own an ID3

Ok, the MG4 first, well, what to say that hasn't already been well documented. Great to drive, bit cheapo on the interior, very small screen with very small font (tilted away slightly from the UK driver & difficult to manipulate anything on the move other than Star buttons on Steering wheel).
One or two teething issues (different ranking in importance to each user) but Oil leak still remains a thought provoker.
Good to drive, rear wheel drive is so much nicer than front wheel drive, LKA (kill assist) was just awful, and as reported by every owner reset every trip. PITA.
We felt you really needed it in Trophy spec to be considered "well equipped" even in Trophy spec the seats are poorly constructed and the materials didn't inspire a feeling of longevity.
I have started to see many popping up and about, could become very ubiquitous and with the lack of options (zero interior or wheel options), difficult to make it yours or stand out.

Order cancelled after 5 months wait and PCP/APR / Trade-in complications.

Megane - E Tech (Techno spec) - Front wheel drive was a drawback, for me anything other than in sport mode it felt quite boring.
Small screen for us in the UK, meant the tiles and font were a little on the small side and difficult to see or interact with on the move.
Too many fricking stalks on the steering wheel, *** I mean what is with that?
Rear visibility non-existent you need a reverse camera, and headroom in the rear more cramped than you might think for us 6 footers.
Very quiet cabin (perhaps the quietest of the lot)
Super stylish exterior (especially with contrast black roof) but at £38K for Techno spec, and the uninspiring drive and the Poor UK only infotainment screen (How dare you Frenchie !!), it was a no.

Tesla Model 3 - The model we test drove was a pre facelift single motor (Standard Range) edition.
Firstly, I can see what people mean about panel gaps variability, this 2019 model had an issue with its tailgate alignment.
Inside, as has been said, very spacious and airy due to the glass roof.
Single large screen which drives everything is a little daunting but you quickly begin to navigate it.
The steering wheel is small and feels nice, steering is precise and the rear wheel drive means smooth acceleration and pin point steering. Not as "crashy" over the pot holes as I had expected (given the feedback of others).
Infotainment works and the pilot system is class leading, it will take a bit to get used to and immerse yourself in, but its not too difficult. The rest and I mean ALL others have a lot to learn and catch up to the Tesla in this regard.
Strong residuals, will likely be q good investment (not in a true sense, but in the sense of depreciation curve)
The Tesla also has become very popular (probably due to it being very efficient and class leading Tech) you may need to carefully consider colour and options to not be "just another Tesla"

VW ID.3 - We have owned our First Edition for over 14 months now and other than the flaky Infotainment / software system it has been a very pleasant ownership experience.
Rear wheel drive, 204 bhp, very capable suspension and a super quick steering rack makes for a very sporty and engaging drive. The matrix LED headlights are class leading, making winter motorway or twisty back roads easy to navigate. The interior ambient lighting is a nice touch, and a rear camera tucked away in the rear VW badge to keep it clean means this works in any weather.

Ok, interior is a little cheap (not up to Golf levels) but the front seats are very super comfortable, the individual arm rests are great and with a rapid charge curve, it serves its purpose very well.
Wish list would be heat pump (winter range as with all EV's impacts things and increases home charging stints) and once the software matures I think it is a descent EV.

So, replace the small second ICE car with what?
Well after today I am leaning towards a used Face lift Tesla Model 3 (model year 2021 onward) but I think I may just wait a little and see how 2023 unfolds.
Rumours of a Tesla 2 or new launches will shift the used EV market landscape quite quickly. (ORA Cat found that out -------sold any??)

Good luck all and most of all, happy researching, test driving and hopefully owning !

Last edited:
Well, I have now driven all three of the major ones on my list:

MG4 - was a LR SE
Megane E-Tech (Techno Version)
Tesla Model 3 (Standard Range - pre facelift)
and we own an ID3

Ok, the MG4 first, well, what to say that hasn't already been well documented. Great to drive, bit cheapo on the interior, very small screen with very small font (tilted away slightly from the UK driver & difficult to manipulate anything on the move other than Star buttons on Steering wheel).
One or two teething issues (different ranking in importance to each user) but Oil leak still remains a thought provoker.
Good to drive, rear wheel drive is so much nicer than front wheel drive, LKA (kill assist) was just awful, and as reported by every owner reset every trip. PITA.
We felt you really needed it in Trophy spec to be considered "well equipped" even in Trophy spec the seats are poorly constructed and the materials didn't inspire a feeling of longevity.
I have started to see many popping up and about, could become very ubiquitous and with the lack of options (zero interior or wheel options), difficult to make it yours or stand out.

Order cancelled after 5 months wait and PCP/APR / Trade-in complications.

Megane - E Tech (Techno spec) - Front wheel drive was a drawback, for me anything other than in sport mode it felt quite boring.
Small screen for us in the UK, meant the tiles and font were a little on the small side and difficult to see or interact with on the move.
Too many fricking stalks on the steering wheel, *** I mean what is with that?
Rear visibility non-existent you need a reverse camera, and headroom in the rear more cramped than you might think for us 6 footers.
Very quiet cabin (perhaps the quietest of the lot)
Super stylish exterior (especially with contrast black roof) but at £38K for Techno spec, and the uninspiring drive and the Poor UK only infotainment screen (How dare you Frenchie !!), it was a no.

Tesla Model 3 - The model we test drove was a pre facelift single motor (Standard Range) edition.
Firstly, I can see what people mean about panel gaps variability, this 2019 model had an issue with its tailgate alignment.
Inside, as has been said, very spacious and airy due to the glass roof.
Single large screen which drives everything is a little daunting but you quickly begin to navigate it.
The steering wheel is small and feels nice, steering is precise and the rear wheel drive means smooth acceleration and pin point steering. Not as "crashy" over the pot holes as I had expected (given the feedback of others).
Infotainment works and the pilot system is class leading, it will take a bit to get used to and immerse yourself in, but its not too difficult. The rest and I mean ALL others have a lot to learn and catch up to the Tesla in this regard.
Strong residuals, will likely be q good investment (not in a true sense, but in the sense of depreciation curve)
The Tesla also has become very popular (probably due to it being very efficient and class leading Tech) you may need to carefully consider colour and options to not be "just another Tesla"

VW ID.3 - We have owned our First Edition for over 14 months now and other than the flaky Infotainment / software system it has been a very pleasant ownership experience.
Rear wheel drive, 204 bhp, very capable suspension and a super quick steering rack makes for a very sporty and engaging drive. The matrix LED headlights are class leading, making winter motorway or twisty back roads easy to navigate. The interior ambient lighting is a nice touch, and a rear camera tucked away in the rear VW badge to keep it clean means this works in any weather.

Ok, interior is a little cheap (not up to Golf levels) but the front seats are very super comfortable, the individual arm rests are great and with a rapid charge curve, it serves its purpose very well.
Wish list would be heat pump (winter range as with all EV's impacts things and increases home charging stints) and once the software matures I think it is a descent EV.

So, replace the small second ICE car with what?
Well after today I am leaning towards a used Face lift Tesla Model 3 (model year 2021 onward) but I think I may just wait a little and see how 2023 unfolds.
Rumours of a Tesla 2 or new launches will shift the used EV market landscape quite quickly. (ORA Cat found that out -------sold any??)

Good luck all and most of all, happy researching, test driving and hopefully owning !

Agree on vast majority of these points.

Didn't have an issue with the size of the Megane central screen (seemed very similar to the competition), but it is grating when you know the LH drive European model gets a bigger one. The second screen behind the steering wheel we thought was very impressive.

Interesting comments re the drive. I thought our experience was underwhelming because it was in Eco but maybe it is simply a FWD issue.

As a cash buyer the comments re a second hand Tesla retaining value are definitely in our thinking too.

We've never really had an interest in the ID3. Not a fan of the looks, particularly from the front.

We also talk about giving it further time but on the other hand have a bad habit of never making decisions! Having looked at the likes of electric Peugeot and Astra coming to market they don't excite me, nor is it predicted they will shake up the market costs-wise.

6 new cars in your driving life, going back to the 80s…?
I’ve had 6 cars in the past 4 years!
I do get very bored of cars very quickly though, and if there’s an opportunity to move on I will.

Didn't have an issue with the size of the Megane central screen (seemed very similar to the competition), but it is grating when you know the LH drive European model gets a bigger one. The second screen behind the steering wheel we thought was very impressive.

Interesting comments re the drive. I thought our experience was underwhelming because it was in Eco but maybe it is simply a FWD issue.

As a cash buyer the comments re a second hand Tesla retaining value are definitely in our thinking too.

We've never really had an interest in the ID3. Not a fan of the looks, particularly from the front.

We also talk about giving it further time but on the other hand have a bad habit of never making decisions! Having looked at the likes of electric Peugeot and Astra coming to market they don't excite me, nor is it predicted they will shake up the market costs-wise.
Have you had a look at the fisker ocean

With regard to Tesla, read an interesting tweet from Cleevely EV specialists this weekend.
They have a client with a 2019 M3 that’s done 182000 miles and still has 95% SOH.
Only needed £1090 maintenance including tyres in that time too.
My god that’s impressive.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 501 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel