Can't lock car while fast charging (ZS EV MK2 SR Trophy)

lusitano

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi everyone,

I've tried to do some searches but can't find the answer to my issue, go the car today and did my first ever EV charge.

I went to lidl to charge my car(podpoint 50kwh) and was hoping to do a bit of shopping, so when got to the charger a DPD van was just finishing charging, so I plugged in the CSS plug and use the app to start, car had some issue it wouldn't start and I couldn't take out the plug. some leaf driver tried to help by us suing the emergency stop but that didn't work, so messaged a mate and he said just switch off the car and lock and start it again, well this did the trick, and it started charging, after 10 minutes of me panicking that I was stuck there.

After it was fast charging at 48kW I wanted to go and do my shopping, however every time I tried to lock the car it would beep and would never lock the car. So ended up staying in the car until I got to 80%.

I've got no idea what happened and if it is normal or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the boot wasn't shut properly...silly me will test tomorrow.
Good news that is solved.
To avoid confusion in future, the 50kW charger is a Rapid charger, not a fast charger, those are the home/supermarket 7kW points. It helps pinpoint the problem when describing.
You will soon get used to all the new technical terms. :)

May be totally unrelated, but I've noticed on the couple occasions I've parked my Mk1 at a local petrol station to buy a pie, it won't lock. It's really weird and the only place it's happened.

Once the car was reluctant to start as well, which was both worrying and potentially humiliating ("Where is your electric vehicle stuck, sir? At a petrol station? You do know it doesn't need petrol, sir? Did you try to fill up with 91 Unleaded through the charging port, sir?")

Managed to get away after a few minutes and don't go their often enough to know if this is actually A Thing That Happens or just a weird coincidence.

May be totally unrelated, but I've noticed on the couple occasions I've parked my Mk1 at a local petrol station to buy a pie, it won't lock.
I have that problem in certain locations as well my my Mk1. In my case, it's at a local shopping centre, where there are mobile phone towers. These seem to interfere with the signal from the fob. My work around is to park as far away from the towers as possible. Sometimes if I have to park too close, I just swing my leg closer to the car, so the fob is closer. Sometimes I have to take it out of my pocket and hold it to the driver side window, away from any metal.

Before I figured this out, I had to figure out how to open the door using the key inside the fob. It was not totally obvious how to do that. I posted how to do that here.

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom