Can't order the Exclusive but Facelift incoming

Dotnetter

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Went for another test drive of the ZS. Second drive was a much better experience (Excite rather than the Exclusive)... Not sure if that would have made that much difference or if I just didn't adjust seating position correctly in the Exclusive.

Decided to proceed with an order but after trying for a while, the sales guy informed me the car was no longer on the system. He has been telling me how the Facelift version is due shortly and that getting stock of the current model is difficult so he assumed they've removed the Exclusive to avoid additional orders.

He mentioned that the Facelift will have a longer range but didn't know figures. He said he had been told there would be a substantial hike in the price but hasn't been told what the amount would be.

He told me he had been to an MG conference where they had been given the opportunity to see the new version which he described as identical to the ICE Facelift.

He said he had been told that there were 180 in the country (for dealers) and that he expected to have a demo available on the next month with sales to proceed in January.

The dealer has just rung me to tell me that a sale has fallen through on an exclusive if I'm interested (they were talking about this being the last one they had even before I visited as I mentioned wanting to sit in the exclusive but the last one they had was already potentially sold).

Now. Do I go for the exclusive or do I wait for the Facelift with the potential of it being at a much higher price.

Opinions?

Regards,

Wayne

Fyi, they didn't have the exclusive there. They had done a swap with another dealer who needed a car they had so it's still at the other dealers... Hence not being able to view it.

I also heard them on the phone to the guy supposedly buying it trying to pin him down on a form commitment... So it is either true or an extremely well rehearsed sales pitch lol

Would you qualify for the Affinity Scheme as there are rumours that it is ending

Last edited:
They asked what I did for a living specifically for that reason lol.

My soon-to-be mother-in-law is an NHS nurse and my fiance either for the NHS for 10 years but left a few years ago... So I doubt it although the sales guy said he'd look into it.

Do I go for the exclusive or do I wait for the Facelift with the potential of it being at a much higher price.
Yeah - That's the 99 dollar question alright !.
Rumours suggest the ZS EV ( Gen 2 ) could either be sporting a HV pack size of around 64 or even 72 Kwh pack.
Maybe they are going to give the customer an option of pack sizes ?????.
I really think the problem here is we have no idea of the pricing of the Gen 2 model(s).
It is going to be more expensive of course, but how much 🤷‍♂️ ????.
When they released the MG5 LR with the larger pack, they increased the price from the original car by around £1,200 I think ?.
This also included Pro Pilot that the first version did not get.
I can not see the difference being that small, but it needs to be affordable for Gen 1 ZS EV to make the upgrade too.
None of this answers your question, sorry.
It really is a difficult call, wait and you miss out on what SHOULD be a great deal on a out going model, or wait and the new model is outside of your budget ?????.
The deal really needs to be an offer you can't refuse, I think.
Then, when the new model price is released, you could look back and say that you are happy because the difference in price was not worth the extra spend.
Remember, the Gen 2 model ( when released ) will be commanding top dollar.
Therefore the out going model has to heavily discounted or leave it where it is.
For current ZS EV owners, it's a little bit easier.
If the Gen 2 car is affordable, then some MAY wish to trade up, if not they just keep the car they already have.
Early adopters of the ZS EV will be finding there cars will soon be coming up to 2 years old.
Long enough to establish if the car works for them by now, regarding range / space etc etc.
The Gen 2 model will have some slight styling changes & improvements over the previous model of course.
But essential its the same car underneath really, it's a "Face Lift" and not a completely different model.
The larger HV pack(s) for some people maybe what attracts them ???.
But the price difference maybe just to big to justify the expense, after all it is almost like buying the very same car again, with just more range ???.
Some may take advantage of the strong residuals and buy another makers EV ???.
A few ZS EV owners have already been doing this over the last 4 - 6 weeks.

The deal really needs to be an offer you can't refuse, I think.
Then, when the new model price is released, you could look back and say that you are happy because the difference in price was not worth the extra spend.
This is good advice.

Yeah, I don't want to buy the outgoing version if the price difference to the new one is only £1500 more for example...I need to widen that gap.

Another consideration is the range though which is a big factor. My mother lives 128mile round trip away. I don't have range anxiety about this with the current ZS in the summer, but think I might struggle in winter. If the Facelift is only £1500 more for more miles then I'd be very interested in waiting. That and also wondering if they'll finally make the app available... Again something I think @MilesperkWh alluded to in the podcast!

I'm hoping the facelift will have full climate control, that was the reason i didn't end up getting the current zs when they first came out. Since the MG5 LR has it can't see why the new ZS shouldn't.

Another thing I have to consider is the 0%APR offer that is due to end shortly. If the Facelift is only £1500 more than that's good, but if I had to get PCP with interest then that is an additional increase and also currently an unknown.

One other thing I forgot to mention. I asked the sales guy about the charging port on the Facelift he had seen and he said it had now been moved from the centre of the grill to the side of the grill.

It all comes down to the incentives and offers - with the MG5, although £1400 difference in list price, the Affinity percentage dropped from 17% to 14% making it £2000 difference in reality.

Depending on supply, demand, and where they think they can position the model relative to competitors - and of course your needs - the non-facelift model could be very attractive (assuming there are any!). Or the decision to opt for the facelift model might be a no-brainer.

Interesting times in the EV market

This is good advice.

Yeah, I don't want to buy the outgoing version if the price difference to the new one is only £1500 more for example...I need to widen that gap.

Another consideration is the range though which is a big factor. My mother lives 128mile round trip away. I don't have range anxiety about this with the current ZS in the summer, but think I might struggle in winter. If the Facelift is only £1500 more for more miles then I'd be very interested in waiting. That and also wondering if they'll finally make the app available... Again something I think @MilesperkWh alluded to in the podcast!
I agree totally.
The trip to your Mum’s in the winter will test the range okay.
You could grab a top up from a three pin plug when you are there, but the charge rate is going to be slow.
The facelift model, either 60 or above will give you that extra cushion of range.
If they have relocated the charge port, then that is an improvement, but not a massive issue.
Unless you have mobility issues and then it’s of huge benefit.
If the rumoured improvements all come true, like the increased range / better info unit / maybe an App / relocated charge port etc, then if you want or desire these things, and you have the budget, then I would go for the Gen2 model.
I guess you get what you pay for ?????.
We will always return to the question of “Price” of course !.
IF - IF the price increase is only about £1200 then personally, I would wait.
Purely because of the margin of extra range that the battery will offer in the winter trip to your Mum’s !.
Of course grabbing a quick “Splash and Dash” on route would be an option.
The other reported improvements are a nice to have, not vitality important.
The deal on offer for the new Gen 1 ZS EV has to be amazing, if not I would not even consider it !.
How does the old saying go ?.
“Buy what you need and not what you want”.
Everybody’s usage case is different, but I will bet that the first time you pull up to a charger ( that is not working ) on a winter trip to your Mum’s, you will say :-
“I should have gone for the bigger pack”.
Then if that rings true, there is your answer.
You are waiting for Gen2 model and sucking up the extra cost ?.
I am thinking that the new face lift models SHOULD be arriving at dealers in the next few weeks or so.
I can’t see the first batch of customers cars getting here until early next year at best !.

Last edited:
I can't see the ZS Gen 2 being just £1500 more, the increase in battery size is bigger than the MG 5 to MG5 LR difference.

Just looking on the EV Database and quoted winter range is 95miles although this is worst case at -10c with heating etc.

Anything less than 126miles (round trip) will require a top up.

Out of interest, assuming worst case scenario of 95 miles.

If I arrived with circa 33% charge remaining having covered 63 miles out of the 95 range, how long would a 3 pin charge take to get me up to circa 75% (66% needed for return journey but thinking sensible to have an extra 10%).

I know there are rapid chargers in the area where my mum lives, but just curious about 3 pin as a backup.

I can't see the ZS Gen 2 being just £1500 more, the increase in battery size is bigger than the MG 5 to MG5 LR difference.
I agree.
Am I right in thinking the new MG5 LR is running on a 60 kWh pack ?.
If so, then fitting the same pack to the Gen2 ZS EV makes some type of sense ????.
If they offer a 72 kWh pack, then I can’t see the price being only £1500 more ?.
This puts the pack size above its two closet rivals in the Kona and the e.Nero with their 64 kWh packs.
Remember, it is affective the same car as the out going Gen1 model.
We are NOT talking about a completely new model here folks !.
So the R&D costs have all been paid back LONG ago.
Stretching the legs or life of this current model, will take it too the next phase of a completely new shape and upgrade.
This quick “refresh” SHOULD keep the price increase to a level which made the Gen1 model so popular ?.
If it’s punches above it’s weight in price, then people have a lot more choice of EV’s now.
Get the pricing right and it could be a big seller, attracting both new and old Gen 1 model customers back into the fold.
I don’t think we will have to wait too long until we find out !.
Dealers will be eagerly awaiting the pricing structure also !.
Bringing EV’s to the MG range has given the company a MASSIVE increase in sales.
Correct pricing structure has fuelled this fire with out any doubt in my mind.

Just looking on the EV Database and quoted winter range is 95miles although this is worst case at -10c with heating etc.

Anything less than 126miles (round trip) will require a top up.

Out of interest, assuming worst case scenario of 95 miles.

If I arrived with circa 33% charge remaining having covered 63 miles out of the 95 range, how long would a 3 pin charge take to get me up to circa 75% (66% needed for return journey but thinking sensible to have an extra 10%).

I know there are rapid chargers in the area where my mum lives, but just curious about 3 pin as a backup.
A Granny lead on domestic socket is going to give you about 10 - 12 miles of extra range for every hour while you are on charge, I think ?.
Somebody will correct me if I am wrong.
So, if you are at Mum’s for the day, then you will collect enough buffer range to get home safely.

I'm having serious thoughts now about swapping cars, kazoo offering £21,500 for ours - it's in mint condition so should get that too.
But will need another car to replace it.....
I just really want a bit extra range, ok an app would be great too.

Can get a 5 excite for 20,600.....

Don't know what to do!!!!

I'm having serious thoughts now about swapping cars, kazoo offering £21,500 for ours - it's in mint condition so should get that too.
But will need another car to replace it.....
I just really want a bit extra range, ok an app would be great too.

Can get a 5 excite for 20,600.....

Don't know what to do!!!!
It’s a tough one !.
Will the MG5 do the job ?.
Not just the range of course.
But you are moving from the higher ride height of a SUV to a estate car ?.
No pano roof or Pro Pilot etc.
If you can live with that to start with, then okay.
I know you have some concerns regarding very regular trips ( AKA Range ) In the ZS EV.
You have spoken about this in older posts.
Well the MG5 cures that issue of course.
The increased range of the ZS EV ( Gen 2 ) will fit the job absolutely bang on, but you are not going to get one for THAT price.
I am scratching my head here and producing a lot of saw dust !.
The trade in price is VERY tempting I know, because otherwise you would not even be considering it.
Everybody is different, only one of the reasons I needed the higher ride height is because after a total knee replacement, getting in and out of a low car is too difficult now.
So the MG5 is not an option.
I do fancy looking at the ZS EV Gen2 when it gets here.
Not that my current ZS EV Gen 1 is an issue.
The car will be two years old in Jan 22 and we have covered over 15,000 miles and I have enjoyed all the EV driving.
This has been done by going through three lock downs in Wales last year.
We are both retired now and have covered more miles in the EV than we ever did in our previous PHEV.
Cost being a major factor here as OAP’s.
It will be a hard battle trying to convince my wife that we need the new Gen2 model.
I already know what her responce is likely to be.
“Why do we need extra range, when or old car is capable of taking us 15,000 miles”.
That’s me knackered right there 🤣 !.
You are going to see at least £21 for your old car @JodyS21 .
They are always going to find some thing to reduce the offer, that’s how they operate.
Difficult decision to make my friend.
Range vs ride height and some nice bits removed, Mmmmm ………. I am not even going to try a predict / bet the score on this match.
My £10 bet is safely tucked away in my wallet.
( Hey, keep it to yourself - but I think range MAY just win out over bits here, what is more important to you ).
Good luck and keep us in the loop.
Purely on a personal and selfish basis, I hope you stay with the ZS EV - your contribution to the forum has been absolutely invaluable 👏.
But, you must do what is best for you and your family.
A detect a few hours lost sleep 💤 tonight.

I'd go for the Exclusive. The amount of kit is worth the upgrade in price. I doubt the battery in the face lift will increase much in size (if at all) the increased range might just be down to new software, new tyres and aerodynamics etc.

Be very interesting to see what size the new Gen2 ZS EV is carrying ?.
60 kwh’s and it is likely to be a chemical / software upgrade on an original pack, like the MG5.
But if it’s a 72 kWh pack, then would this necessitate an increase size in the number of cells and therefore size of the pack ?.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom