Can't order the Exclusive but Facelift incoming

Had a look on Cazoo and their offer for my ZS EV is £1,275 more than I paid for it!

If we had a second car I would bite their hands off and wait for the gen2. However, we need a car where we live so it's a non-starter. It's an offer that's almost too good to pass by!!
We have a second car, but I am resisting looking at a valuation to be honest !.
If the price is good, then we could let it go.
However, if the price in the Gen2 ZS EV is outside of our reach, we are pretty much buggered !.
I don’t want to be using my wife’s Fiat 500 for ever and I do NOT want to return to a ICE car !.
Best not look 👀 then 🤣.

It’s a tough one !.
Will the MG5 do the job ?.
Not just the range of course.
But you are moving from the higher ride height of a SUV to a estate car ?.
No pano roof or Pro Pilot etc.
If you can live with that to start with, then okay.
I know you have some concerns regarding very regular trips ( AKA Range ) In the ZS EV.
You have spoken about this in older posts.
Well the MG5 cures that issue of course.
The increased range of the ZS EV ( Gen 2 ) will fit the job absolutely bang on, but you are not going to get one for THAT price.
I am scratching my head here and producing a lot of saw dust !.
The trade in price is VERY tempting I know, because otherwise you would not even be considering it.
Everybody is different, only one of the reasons I needed the higher ride height is because after a total knee replacement, getting in and out of a low car is too difficult now.
So the MG5 is not an option.
I do fancy looking at the ZS EV Gen2 when it gets here.
Not that my current ZS EV Gen 1 is an issue.
The car will be two years old in Jan 22 and we have covered over 15,000 miles and I have enjoyed all the EV driving.
This has been done by going through three lock downs in Wales last year.
We are both retired now and have covered more miles in the EV than we ever did in our previous PHEV.
Cost being a major factor here as OAP’s.
It will be a hard battle trying to convince my wife that we need the new Gen2 model.
I already know what her responce is likely to be.
“Why do we need extra range, when or old car is capable of taking us 15,000 miles”.
That’s me knackered right there 🤣 !.
You are going to see at least £21 for your old car @JodyS21 .
They are always going to find some thing to reduce the offer, that’s how they operate.
Difficult decision to make my friend.
Range vs ride height and some nice bits removed, Mmmmm ………. I am not even going to try a predict / bet the score on this match.
My £10 bet is safely tucked away in my wallet.
( Hey, keep it to yourself - but I think range MAY just win out over bits here, what is more important to you ).
Good luck and keep us in the loop.
Purely on a personal and selfish basis, I hope you stay with the ZS EV - your contribution to the forum has been absolutely invaluable 👏.
But, you must do what is best for you and your family.
A detect a few hours lost sleep 💤 tonight.
Such a tough decision.
The price offered is just so ridiculous!

I should probably just look on the mg 5 forum, but, in quick summary is the MG5 LR exactly the same but with slightly bigger battery (61.1 vs 52.5kwh)?
I don't care about MG pilot, as long as it's got the adaptive cruise control that's all I want really, and auto hold/park.
It's funny really, I love the panoramic roof in the ZS, but.....I think we've hardly ever opened the roof blind let alone the glass!

I like the higher ride of the ZS style but don't need it. I don't have any desire for an estate!

Realistically, I'm thinking there is no way the new ZS with bigger battery is going to be available to buy for less than about £24k, so is going to out of my budget - otherwise I'd sell up now and use 2nd car until it comes out in a few months.
The existing model only being £20k when we got it was plain crazy. Assuming the new one has an App along with the bigger battery, surely it's got to be priced similar/only slightly less than the completion, which means list price > £30k and, there's not going to need to be massive discounts to shift them due to their lack of app/range compared to the completion.

Another option is I could sell up, make do for a few months with our 2nd car (over winter), then when the new model is out, you'd think the 2nd hand prices would drop loads on our gen1s, so could potentially pick up a 1-2year one for <£18k.....

I'd go for the Exclusive. The amount of kit is worth the upgrade in price. I doubt the battery in the face lift will increase much in size (if at all) the increased range might just be down to new software, new tyres and aerodynamics etc.
There’s a fair bit of speculation there …….

There’s a fair bit of speculation there …….
Agreed.
I don't think there is any doubt at all that it will have a higher capacity battery to give it the extra range.
The physical battery size potentially could be similar of course. Given the amount of space available under the ZS, physical size isn't a problem; so from an economics perspective if a same capacity battery pack that is physically bigger is cheaper it makes sense for them to use that (if the weight is the same of course).

I should probably just look on the mg 5 forum, but, in quick summary is the MG5 LR exactly the same but with slightly bigger battery (61.1 vs 52.5kwh)?
It has automatic climate control.

Having originally considered the MG5 and test driven it and the ZS I would say they drive is similar albeit the 5 is a second faster to 60 (7.5 or something like that).

Rear leg room was a problem. I'm 6',3" and with the chair where I would want it, my average-height 12 year old daughter wasn't comfortable sat behind me and couldn't put her feet under the seat.

What little I 'know' about the facelift:-

1, It will have a bigger battery (size unknown but at least the same as the MG5 LR)
2. The charge point is still in the centre, but opens to the side (very similar in operation to the MG5)
3. The front grill spy shot I have seen (unable to supply a link as it was a quick glance at someone else's phone) seemed to show a smooth front end (similar to a Kona), with basically no 'grill' as such, although there might be a grill lower down.

Now, that picture was blurry. with the front end partially covered up, but it defo had UK plates on it. The car was blue. And that is all I 'know'.

Another thing I have to consider is the 0%APR offer that is due to end shortly. If the Facelift is only £1500 more than that's good, but if I had to get PCP with interest then that is an additional increase and also currently an unknown.
do you know/have any idea exactly/roughly when the 0% APR offer is due to end?

What little I 'know' about the facelift:-

1, It will have a bigger battery (size unknown but at least the same as the MG5 LR)
2. The charge point is still in the centre, but opens to the side (very similar in operation to the MG5)
3. The front grill spy shot I have seen (unable to supply a link as it was a quick glance at someone else's phone) seemed to show a smooth front end (similar to a Kona), with basically no 'grill' as such, although there might be a grill lower down.

Now, that picture was blurry. with the front end partially covered up, but it defo had UK plates on it. The car was blue. And that is all I 'know'.
If you search on Google images for face-lift mg zs ev, there is a patent image that comes up amongst them. This is an official SAIC patent showing the car in monochrome, but you can clearly see the new front bumper styling and charging flap, now on the right hand side of the bumper.

Here it is:
1632133315584.png

Had a look on Cazoo and their offer for my ZS EV is £1,275 more than I paid for it!

If we had a second car I would bite their hands off and wait for the gen2. However, we need a car where we live so it's a non-starter. It's an offer that's almost too good to pass by!!
Kazoo are paying ludicrous sums for the ZS at present, I can't work out thier game plan. They've just paid me £250 less than the price they are selling a near identical ZS on thier site for. Allowing anything at all for time valeting and photographing the car for sale seems to be leaving them no margin at all. I have noticed thier system is extremely automated with minimal real people involved in the sale process, I do wonder if they're currently screwing up thier offers. They are currently paying £1000+ over the next best offer. You can even buy a similar car retail at other dealers for less than thier offer!

do you know/have any idea exactly/roughly when the 0% APR offer is due to end?

@MilesperkWh replied on another thread and mentioned he was expecting the offer to continue - that isn't to say it will be offered on the facelift though - it could just be used on the outgoing models to help sell them OR it could be across their range.

The current 0% APR offer is due to expire on 30th September.

0%APR - ending soon?

If you search on Google images for face-lift mg zs ev, there is a patent image that comes up amongst them. This is an official SAIC patent showing the car in monochrome, but you can clearly see the new front bumper styling and charging flap, now on the right hand side of the bumper.

Here it is: View attachment 4903

This is in keeping with what the Sales guy told me about the charging port on Saturday. If I were a sceptical person, I could think he hasn't seen the car in the flesh and just did the same google search :D

Having done the same google image search as @Paulie68 - I have noticed that accompanying images of the side show a petrol cap. Could this be the PHEV? I've never looked at any PHEV cars so I don't know if their EV equivalent have the charging port mounted elsewhere due to the considerations of the ICE stuff??
szpupuzpkfrd634stbxr

I'm keen to have a bigger range on the ZS, in reserve just for those day trips to the coast so I don't have to top up to get back. But if it's not the 73kWh battery I don't think I'll bother, although I prefer the ZS, we'll just go in SWMBO's (std range) 5, it easily does over 200 miles which covers it.

Here it is: View attachment 4903
The grille front end should be harmonised with the ICE Facelift according to reports, you can see in that pic the grille is the same shape as the ICE ZS.

Went for another test drive of the ZS. Second drive was a much better experience (Excite rather than the Exclusive)... Not sure if that would have made that much difference or if I just didn't adjust seating position correctly in the Exclusive.

Decided to proceed with an order but after trying for a while, the sales guy informed me the car was no longer on the system. He has been telling me how the Facelift version is due shortly and that getting stock of the current model is difficult so he assumed they've removed the Exclusive to avoid additional orders.

He mentioned that the Facelift will have a longer range but didn't know figures. He said he had been told there would be a substantial hike in the price but hasn't been told what the amount would be.

He told me he had been to an MG conference where they had been given the opportunity to see the new version which he described as identical to the ICE Facelift.

He said he had been told that there were 180 in the country (for dealers) and that he expected to have a demo available on the next month with sales to proceed in January.

The dealer has just rung me to tell me that a sale has fallen through on an exclusive if I'm interested (they were talking about this being the last one they had even before I visited as I mentioned wanting to sit in the exclusive but the last one they had was already potentially sold).

Now. Do I go for the exclusive or do I wait for the Facelift with the potential of it being at a much higher price.

Opinions?

Regards,

Wayne
Hi Wayne,

Not sure if you said how much they want for the exclusive - we got ours in Jan, pre registered with 35 miles on the clock for 19900 so they're having a laugh if they're asking for more than that for an end of line model.

All the best,

Sam

Hi Wayne,

Not sure if you said how much they want for the exclusive - we got ours in Jan, pre registered with 35 miles on the clock for 19900 so they're having a laugh if they're asking for more than that for an end of line model.

All the best,

Sam
Not sure I agree with that - the car world has turned on its head since January - you can currently sell yours for more than you paid for it. If there are only a few new exclusives left, then the word exclusive has never been more pertinent, and a higher price can be commanded, despite the facelift being imminent.

I think we are unlikely to see these crazy residuals being offered again anytime soon.
The feeding frenzy of wanting second hand EV’s has been fuelled ( bad joke ) by the whole “So Called” petrol ( driver ) shortage’s.
A great time for anybody considering switching out to a new EV - If you can get one, that is !.

Not sure I agree with that - the car world has turned on its head since January - you can currently sell yours for more than you paid for it. If there are only a few new exclusives left, then the word exclusive has never been more pertinent, and a higher price can be commanded, despite the facelift being imminent.
Yeah, I think that's a fair point but if the new MG ZSEV is going to be at the 26 - 28k price point then it's not going to be enough of a difference (IMHO) to warrant paying over 20k for a current model exclusive - especially if you get to knock off 3 grand for the government grant on the new zsev's.

I can't see MG wanting to go much higher as they've had such success competing with all competitors on price that they'd surely want to continue with that trend... As they start getting closer to 30k that starts to be a big spend for fund conscious buyers (which is probably a majority of MG owners) and brings in other cars e.g. VW ID3 (although I've not checked the price on an ID3 for a while and I gather you may get some quality control issues for the moment)

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom