Can't order the Exclusive but Facelift incoming

Went for another test drive of the ZS. Second drive was a much better experience (Excite rather than the Exclusive)... Not sure if that would have made that much difference or if I just didn't adjust seating position correctly in the Exclusive.

Decided to proceed with an order but after trying for a while, the sales guy informed me the car was no longer on the system. He has been telling me how the Facelift version is due shortly and that getting stock of the current model is difficult so he assumed they've removed the Exclusive to avoid additional orders.

He mentioned that the Facelift will have a longer range but didn't know figures. He said he had been told there would be a substantial hike in the price but hasn't been told what the amount would be.

He told me he had been to an MG conference where they had been given the opportunity to see the new version which he described as identical to the ICE Facelift.

He said he had been told that there were 180 in the country (for dealers) and that he expected to have a demo available on the next month with sales to proceed in January.

The dealer has just rung me to tell me that a sale has fallen through on an exclusive if I'm interested (they were talking about this being the last one they had even before I visited as I mentioned wanting to sit in the exclusive but the last one they had was already potentially sold).

Now. Do I go for the exclusive or do I wait for the Facelift with the potential of it being at a much higher price.

Opinions?

Regards,

Wayne
Depends what sort of journeys you do. Short ones I'd stick with the old model. Long ones go for the new

Yeah, I think that's a fair point but if the new MG ZSEV is going to be at the 26 - 28k price point then it's not going to be enough of a difference (IMHO) to warrant paying over 20k for a current model exclusive - especially if you get to knock off 3 grand for the government grant on the new zsev's.

I can't see MG wanting to go much higher as they've had such success competing with all competitors on price that they'd surely want to continue with that trend... As they start getting closer to 30k that starts to be a big spend for fund conscious buyers (which is probably a majority of MG owners) and brings in other cars e.g. VW ID3 (although I've not checked the price on an ID3 for a while and I gather you may get some quality control issues for the moment)
`Government grant has dropped to £2,500.

Last edited:
Yeah, I think that's a fair point but if the new MG ZSEV is going to be at the 26 - 28k price point then it's not going to be enough of a difference (IMHO) to warrant paying over 20k for a current model exclusive - especially if you get to knock off 3 grand for the government grant on the new zsev's.

I can't see MG wanting to go much higher as they've had such success competing with all competitors on price that they'd surely want to continue with that trend... As they start getting closer to 30k that starts to be a big spend for fund conscious buyers (which is probably a majority of MG owners) and brings in other cars e.g. VW ID3 (although I've not checked the price on an ID3 for a while and I gather you may get some quality control issues for the moment)
You can pick up 254 mile ID3 for 26Kish but also brings the Skoda Enyaq into play at 30K though basic model.

I was initially looking at the Skoda Enyaq but unfortunately it comes with barely any "toys" and once you start putting the options on it you can very easily get to over 35k.

Also, the delivery timescales are very long from what I've read on forums... Looking at March atm from memory

I was initially looking at the Skoda Enyaq but unfortunately it comes with barely any "toys" and once you start putting the options on it you can very easily get to over 35k.

Also, the delivery timescales are very long from what I've read on forums... Looking at March atm from memory
The Skoka has received good reviews.
A bit “Bland / Plain” looking both inside and out, but it just gets on with the job.
But it’s a bigger car and the build quality with be good.
Less toys, so it’s a play off.
More expensive and a long wait I would expect.
You pays your money and takes you choice I guess ?.
MG have chosen the ZS EV face lift a bit early really.
The first ZS EV Gen1 models are now coming up to two years old.
Cars bought on PCP’s / Lease are generally taken over a 3 to 4 year period.
Effectively the owners considering an upgrade will need to consolidate the remaining payments into a new deal on a PCP.
This is going to increase their payments by a lot.
This time NEXT year would have been a better option.
For cash sale customers a lot is going to depend on the price of new model.
I think some maybe tempted by the rumoured increase in battery size.
Could be 60 to match the MG5 LR ( which makes sense to use the same battery ) or is the pack larger at 72 kw’s ?.
This pushes the car above its closest rival of the 64 kw Kona and the E.Nero, but pushes up the price.
Any big increase in price of the face lift model makes it difficult for Gen 1 model owners to justify jumping the price gap after only a couple of years worth of ownership.
Some may decide just to stick with what they have for a while longer, because there is likely to be no brilliant deals, like offered on the early adopter cars back in 2019 ( grants etc ).
It’s all down to “The Price To Change”.
EV residuals are very strong at the moment, this may offer a helping hand for both the dealer and the person wanting to upgrade ?.
I don’t think we will have to wait much longer to find out !.
Personally, I expect to start seeing dealers getting a few Gen2 face lift models before Christmas and hopefully taking orders for early delivery in the first quarter of next year.
Pure guess work on my part here.

Last edited:
Enquired about a ZS today (already have a MG5) but was told that the new car is incoming and due Dec/Jan. Suspect that means some are already 'mid-boat' and will look similar to the ICE revision? As I couldn't order an existing model, that must mean that a 'short' and 'long range' will be available across this facelift version?

The facelift model addresses the issue that I think the first gen ZS EV has, one that perhaps put a lot of potential buyers off - perceived "too short range". So the revised version will 'cure' that fault. This is particularly relevant when more and more people use search engines to look for their next car. I reckon many people will have a parameter set at no less than 200 miles range therefore the current ZS will never appear as an option for them. Even though they probably only do a fraction of that on a regular basis.

If it's only an increase to 61kWh, I'll keep my current one, if it's going up to 73kWh then I'll probably upgrade next year.
73kWh should give a 275 mile range according to my calculation or well over 200 in Winter.
61kWh only around 225 range, possibly falling to about 165 in Winter, not quite enough for a trip to the coast and back for me, without topping up.
A 73kWh battery would be perfect for my needs and would eliminate any range or charger availability anxiety totally.

If it's only an increase to 61kWh, I'll keep my current one, if it's going up to 73kWh then I'll probably upgrade next year.
73kWh should give a 275 mile range according to my calculation or well over 200 in Winter.
61kWh only around 225 range, possibly falling to about 165 in Winter, not quite enough for a trip to the coast and back for me, without topping up.
A 73kWh battery would be perfect for my needs and would eliminate any range or charger availability anxiety totally.
I agree.
Hard to justify the price difference I think for a small amount of range increase on a 60 pack.
Yeah - There will be other improvements like the reported LED lights and restyled bumper covers.
Maybe the inclusion of a “App” maybe ?.
All very nice of course, but I see the “Bit’s” purely as a nice to have only.
The big pull, will be a larger 72 kw pack at a reasonable price.
If not, I will probably stick with what I have.
We have managed to cover 16,000 miles in less than two years and three lock downs in Wales, so it is hard to say that the original pack is too small for our needs !.
Price will be the deciding factor in all of this of course.

Hi

New member so thanks to all who have posted previously with useful info.

I tend to lease my cars and after going for a test drive of the ZS exclusive yesterday I was pleasantly surprised. Only to be told by the dealer what I’ve read here about a potential new model coming out.

I am in a situation where I could potentially be tight for time in terms of getting the face lifted model before my lease runs out in March.

I have been offered the current model exclusive on a 1+35 deal with payments at £275 a month. I have rapid chargers near my home so do people think it’s worth holding on as my local dealer really said they had no idea when it would be as they thought it would be before the EV6 launch night which they had last week.

It seems crazy MG are telling dealers they cannot accept orders on current model and yet have no official details out there about the potential replacement.

Hi

New member so thanks to all who have posted previously with useful info.

I tend to lease my cars and after going for a test drive of the ZS exclusive yesterday I was pleasantly surprised. Only to be told by the dealer what I’ve read here about a potential new model coming out.

I am in a situation where I could potentially be tight for time in terms of getting the face lifted model before my lease runs out in March.

I have been offered the current model exclusive on a 1+35 deal with payments at £275 a month. I have rapid chargers near my home so do people think it’s worth holding on as my local dealer really said they had no idea when it would be as they thought it would be before the EV6 launch night which they had last week.

It seems crazy MG are telling dealers they cannot accept orders on current model and yet have no official details out there about the potential replacement.
I think that MAYBE - MG have given time for the dealers to move stocks of the present ZS EV’s to be shifted.
They came under fire for suddenly releasing the MG5 LR very quickly, while still selling the standard range model, and rightfully so.
Having a rapid charger close to home is great, especially if you don’t have the facility to charge from home.
Having a charger close to your work place or at the point of regular trips is also important.
As normal, the suitability of use of an EV depends on your own personal usage case.
Calculate your usage based on what you expect to get in winter range and you can’t go far wrong.
Your summer range will then, WELL exceed your expectations.
To hit your dead line for the end of your lease in March could be tight, but possible.
It can take about 3 months for the cars to arrive from China to the U.K.
Could you extend your lease on a month by month basis on your old car ?.
If you wanted a ZS EV long range, you would need to place your order as soon as it is announced.
You could go for a second hand Gen 1 version, but to be honest the prices are really strong at the moment, I would wait and be ready to jump onto an order for the Gen 2 version as soon as it is released.
I don’t think you will have too wait that long.

I think that MAYBE - MG have given time for the dealers to move stocks of the present ZS EV’s to be shifted.
They came under fire for suddenly releasing the MG5 LR very quickly, while still selling the standard range model, and rightfully so.
Having a rapid charger close to home is great, especially if you don’t have the facility to charge from home.
Having a charger close to your work place or at the point of regular trips is also important.
As normal, the suitability of use of an EV depends on your own personal usage case.
Calculate your usage based on what you expect to get in winter range and you can’t go far wrong.
Your summer range will then, WELL exceed your expectations.
To hit your dead line for the end of your lease in March could be tight, but possible.
It can take about 3 months for the cars to arrive from China to the U.K.
Could you extend your lease on a month by month basis on your old car ?.
If you wanted a ZS EV long range, you would need to place your order as soon as it is announced.
You could go for a second hand Gen 1 version, but to be honest the prices are really strong at the moment, I would wait and be ready to jump onto an order for the Gen 2 version as soon as it is released.
I don’t think you will have too wait that long.
Thanks for the reply.

I do have the option of getting a home charge point installed just waiting to get my first vehicle to get the grants etc towards the cost of it.

We don’t tend to do many miles at all to give you an idea my current lease which is due to end in March is meant to be for 16k over 24 months and currently sitting on 7800.

We rarely do any journeys above 100miles each way but may have the occasional trip to Edinburgh / Glasgow which are around 120miles each way from me and I know the advertised range in summer is around 160miles.

Interested to know what the range is from current owners if you were to drive a couple of hours motorway driving at 70mph in both summer and winter.

I can’t unfortunately extend my current lease as I has already enquired about this when I heard about shortages of chips etc.

If you can't extend your current lease on a month by month basis you could always consider a monthly lease/rental with ONTO to fill any time gap.

This came direct from my MG dealer today.

Hello Graeme,

As I said yesterday, I’m waiting for an announcement for MG about the new MG ZS EV. I’m presuming that this information will be launched with the new campaign first week of October. Once I have that I will contact you straight away.

They haven’t released the spec, range or price of the new MG ZS EV. The car isn’t even available on the MG administration system to order just now so it can’t happen as far as I am aware. Unless they have simply put down a deposit and asked for a car to be ordered as soon as it’s available.

Some of the dealerships in England have been in severe trouble with the info they have posted on certain sites recently.

I suspect you were hoping that I might have been withholding some information, but I’m afraid not. It’s as I said yesterday, MG have provided no decent information yet about the new car. All I know is that we will find out more in October.

I understand that MG will be issuing a press release about the updated ZS EV on the 8th or the 9th of this month.

Up until then, the dealers are as much in th dark as the rest of us.

I am off for a test drive in a Kia E- Nero 4+ tomorrow.;) They still get a very good write up, with 280 range and the slightly 'old school' interior / switches etc, appeals to me and my wife. They are not cheap though, £35-39 for new, a little bit less for s/hand

I understand that MG will be issuing a press release about the updated ZS EV on the 8th or the 9th of this month.

I am off for a test drive in a Kia E- Nero 4+ tomorrow.;) They still get a very good write up, with 280 range and the slightly 'old school' interior / switches etc, appeals to me and my wife. They are not cheap though, £35-39 for new, a little bit less for s/hand
Just to follow on from this, the shipping updates thread has a new comment which details a "reveal" on the 7th October - the MG Charge forward event.

No am not doubting the e.Nero 4+ is a great car, but at that price, you are in striking distance of a Tesla model 3.
I think you may feel it is a little bit small after the ZS EV though ??.
The boot is a fair bit smaller.
We should get an idea of the price of the ZS EV Gen 2 by tomorrow, that may ( or may not ) throw a spanner in the works of choice.
Get timing for a test drive though !!.

I'll let you know my thoughts after tomorrow. We did have a (new) Kia Sportage for 6 years....its a bit bigger than we needed and of course it was a ICE Diesel, which is just not acceptable to us nowadays.
I wouldn't be interested in a Tesler, I prefer the ride height of a small SUV. Jolly exciting times...:)

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom