Car Froze unable to exit car!!

That’s frightening about the vans - but the fact you have smash windows or break parcel shelves or anything is unacceptable- it’s not know if anyone has had the update and still been locked in.
No you shouldn't but this is the industry norm on cars and vans it appears, if you look on Google range rover, mercedes, seat, ford, Hyundai all the same

Then either they are wrong or this is a new failure not fixed by the last safety recall. Definitely worth taking your experience to DVSA and getting them to open an investigation.

Edit: There is an emergency boot release to escape through the back hatch.
I know I would not physically be able to get through to the boot. I guess I'll have to get one of those emergency hammers.
Is it just the MG4 which has this problem?

From the time since my post earlier about this being the norm on cars, I've discovered it's even the norm on vans which have a steel bulk head to contend with, so while it's no consolation could be worse, imagine being locked in a van where you have a steel bulkhead between you and the "emergency" means of exiting the vehicle.
Well, you will also not be able to get into the boot in a notchback/sedan without foldable rear seats. As far as I know an emergency boot release is mandatory to prevent people getting trapped in the boot, but not necessarily for exiting the car from the passenger seats.

Most cars with electronic door release seem to have redundant emergency releases:

To be fair, the MG4 door release seems to be mechanical, but can be dead locked in some cases. Anyway I would expect a physical possibility to open the door when there is a power failure or electronic fault (like in the article linked above).

Or I'll just wait for the MG4 convertible to be released. ;-)

Well, you will also not be able to get into the boot in a notchback/sedan without foldable rear seats. As far as I know an emergency boot release is mandatory to prevent people getting trapped in the boot, but not necessarily for exiting the car from the passenger seats.

Most cars with electronic door release seem to have redundant emergency releases:

To be fair, the MG4 door release seems to be mechanical, but can be dead locked in some cases. Anyway I would expect a physical possibility to open the door when there is a power failure or electronic fault (like in the article linked above).

Or I'll just wait for the MG4 convertible to be released. ;-)
On power failure the deadlock should disengage as it solenoid operated from the descriptions I have seen, so once the 12v supply disconnects the solenoid will disengage as it is no longer energised

So if I fitted a battery disconnect inside the passenger cabin, it would unlock?
Based on what I've seen yes, but what should happen and what does are what making engineering interesting 🤣🤣

Update : just thought worth clarify by unlock I mean disengage the deadlock not magically unlock the doors.

But again this is based on descriptions of how the system functions opposed to actually stripping down my car to see how it works.

Last edited:
On the escape issue.
Shame the drivers side quarter light, next to door mirror, was able to be opened or removed from inside. Like my Stag has.
That way the key could be passed out to another person or passer by to open the door from the metal key.
Hopefully the update removes this from ever happening again.

Is there any update on whether this car had the update that's supposed to prevent this? If it had that's rather worrying and I don't want to put my wife in a situation where it might happen to her , especially with our 2yr old grandson in the car

Given the update robbed me of the ability to keep lane assist switched off and I now have a ‘procedure’ to do every journey, I’d rather take my chances with being locked in….

Given the update robbed me of the ability to keep lane assist switched off and I now have a ‘procedure’ to do every journey, I’d rather take my chances with being locked in….
Hmmm that's a shame , so you have to disable it every time? Still think I'd rather have to do that than face the prospect of being locked in the car though

Hmmm that's a shame , so you have to disable it every time? Still think I'd rather have to do that than face the prospect of being locked in the car though

I said it in jest really.
It just highlights the ineptitude of MG that sorting one thing ruins another.

I count the days until I’m away from this hopeless manufacturer.
Looking at a post about someone smelling burning as they were stuck inside, I’d have laughed like a maniac to watch mine burn from the safety of a verge.
Perhaps danced around it naked, like a pagan ritual.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 538 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back