Car ignoring 80% charge limit

stevegant

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
MG4 Trophy. I've set the charge limit in the car to 80%. My off-peak charging schedule is set within my charger and not in the car. Last night the car started charging at midinight in accordance with my schedule. However, the charge continued up to 98% despite me having set a charge limit of 80% in the car. For info I've been doing the same with my Tesla for 18 months on the same charger and all works fine but it seems that just the MG is ignoring the 80% limit?

I was just heading to the forum to moan about something similar.

I set the charge level to 80% in the app and it works, then I'll forget about it (set and forget eh) and when I'm not paying attention the car will charge to 100% and If I check the app it has moved the slider back to 100%. Quite annoying.

MG4 Trophy too.

Have you checked what the slider says in the app?

I was just heading to the forum to moan about something similar.

I set the charge level to 80% in the app and it works, then I'll forget about it (set and forget eh) and when I'm not paying attention the car will charge to 100% and If I check the app it has moved the slider back to 100%. Quite annoying.

MG4 Trophy too.

Have you checked what the slider says in the app?
I've checked the app and also in the car and both say 80%. I have moved it up to 100% and then back down to 80% and will test next time we need to charge.

I leave mine set to 80% (trophy), but occasionally the car seems to reset on its own and put it back to 100%. It’s a pain to have to remember to check what the setting is before plugging in. The software can be very temperamental

Interestingly I had it the other way around.

Yesterday evening I set the car to charge to 100% as I intended do do a long trip today.
This morning when I wanted to leave the car was charged to 60%. I even double checked in both the car and the app to see if the limit was set to 100%.

Fortunately I could take our other PHEV instead as my schedule didn’t allow for two fast charging sessions today.

Really wonder what went wrong last night.

it could be something as simple as BST / GMT change over - my ohme pro is currently an hour head - why = not sure EDIT : A reboot at the mains = reset the time.

Last edited:
Since the last app update I've found the charge limit keeps changing from 80 to 100,% every couple of times I go into the app.
I thought it was just me but obviously not
Thanks, that's interesting. I'm going to set at 80% in the car and not use the app for a few days and see what happens.

It will be interesting to know if the failure to stick to a set limit relates only to wall-chargers, intelligent or dumb, and not to granny chargers. I have had no problems with my granny charger except when the app decides to set 100%. Perhaps this is an indication that a full charge is required but the requisite car indication is not present.

Ours (an Essence 64 which is the same as the UK Trophy I believe) charged yesterday via our ZJBeny EVSE which adjusts the power based on available solar PV. The car ceased the charge session at 80% SOC as set in the car via the iSmart app.

Car is still plugged in, the sun is up and before long it should reach the point of excess solar PV being available but I am not expecting it to begin charging.

9804048A-9EEA-4A5B-8F3B-DC5E627D3072.png

Car is still plugged in, the sun is up and before long it should reach the point of excess solar PV being available but I am not expecting it to begin charging.
And just to finish off, the car did not recommence charging, just as it should have.

Last edited by a moderator:
MG4 Trophy. I've set the charge limit in the car to 80%. My off-peak charging schedule is set within my charger and not in the car. Last night the car started charging at midinight in accordance with my schedule. However, the charge continued up to 98% despite me having set a charge limit of 80% in the car. For info I've been doing the same with my Tesla for 18 months on the same charger and all works fine but it seems that just the MG is ignoring the 80% limit?
What charger are you using?

I have an Ohme Pro and I initially thought you set the percentage of charge you want to go up to. But you have to set how much percentage you want to add. For example If my car is on 40% and I want to charge it to 80%, I have to set the charger to add 40%.

What charger are you using?

I have an Ohme Pro and I initially thought you set the percentage of charge you want to go up to. But you have to set how much percentage you want to add. For example If my car is on 40% and I want to charge it to 80%, I have to set the charger to add 40%.
Hi, the charger is an Easee ONE. It's simply set to allow charging between 00:01 and 05:00. It works (and has worked) perfectly with my other EV for over 2 years.

I've found if I alter the charge percentage in the app or change the settings for the charger after the car's been plugged in it can cause problems.
I also occasionally have to turn the charger off at the mains for a few seconds before switching it back on so it re-boots.

Not had this problem yet with my "dumb" wall charger. I always check in the car and on the app that both show 80% or 100% before plugging in. I think I've seen somewhere (Scheduled Charging in the car perhaps) that there is an option to override the % charge limit but I may be wrong.

Thought I’d just check my car %age settings and it had reset back to 100% again ! The other day it decided to also reset all the counters so my ‘usage since start’ had gone. It often forgets to reset the ‘from last charge’ . It’s not too important but clearly the software is still a bit buggy… still loving the drive though.. and even in this weather and motorway driving I got 4.1 on a 40 mile drive…

Just called the dealer about condensation on my rear light cluster, I reported it a few weeks back when we had the cold snap… they said the mg portal had been down for a while so they couldn’t check the status of the claim.. I feel sorry for the dealers having to put up with rubbish servers in China… the car is brilliant, the software, backend is woeful…

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 522 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 48 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back