Car Rejection after 30 days

Thorpey

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
As per the title I'm at 34 days and the head unit has now failed with no access to heating and other essential items. It's going back to the garage tomorrow as I also have the oil leak, it's not as bad as others as I haven't been locked in or had restricted speed. But we are completely fed up of the car software issues and want to reject it. Has anyone success managed to reject or sell back at a small loss after 30 days?

After 30 days and up to 6 months any fault is presumed to exist and it is for the seller to prove otherwise. However the seller also gets to decide on the remedy (repair, replace, refund) - and in this case they'll likely decide on Repair. However, after effecting a repair, if the goods again fail to conform to contract (for any reason, not just the same fault) then the consumer can exercise their Final Right To Reject for a refund.

A question though ... did you notify the dealer of any of the faults prior to 30 days from collection? If yes then it can be argued that the clock for the Initial Right To Reject has stopped, thus enabling you to reject for a refund. The only way of seeing whether this will work is by talking to your dealer.

It is such a shame that a car that gets such great reviews and apparently is a beautiful vehicle to drive seems to have so many common issues.
Dodgy LKA and other 'features' that cannot be disabled, oil leaks, software problems, bulging undertray, vague SatNav etc. cannot really be described as minor teething issues that you would expect with a new model.
I understand many owners only go on forums to complain and some MG4's might be fine but there are enough complaints on this and other MG forums and google searches to be concerned if you are a prospective purchaser.
MG have been building cars for some time in China now, ICE and EV, and to my knowledge their previous cars have good quality control but MG4's are still being delivered with the same faults apparently and the attitude of dealers seems to be just to deliver them hoping they do not come back for repair.

To be fair the original ZS had many faults on release too It took many updates before most of these were ironed out. On one occasion an update introduced a new significant fault that prevented cells to balance and eroded range before that too was fixed.

I admit communication is poor but I suspect that most of the software faults at least will be remedied over time. For many however that will be too late because confidence has been lost.

It does look on the face of it that there are an abnormally high number of dissatisfied customers. It is concern.

My dealer were fantastic and understanding this morning I expected push back but they accepted the rejection without any real complaints. Relieved that it's gone as I just don't trust MG UK to resolve issues for existing cars in a timely manner. If they made a statement or were proactive in fitting the modified breathers as opposed to insisting on photographic evidence before authorising a repair it may have been acceptable but the way they operate it was always going to be me that was inconvenienced. It was a great car to drive but the mechanical, electric and software issues were just too much without any trust or responsibility accepted by MG UK.

Pleased that you sorted it. Having a new car should really be hassle free. A few niggles are ok but not when you have lots of issues.
Shame, because as you say it’s a good car.

My dealer were fantastic and understanding this morning I expected push back but they accepted the rejection without any real complaints. Relieved that it's gone as I just don't trust MG UK to resolve issues for existing cars in a timely manner. If they made a statement or were proactive in fitting the modified breathers as opposed to insisting on photographic evidence before authorising a repair it may have been acceptable but the way they operate it was always going to be me that was inconvenienced. It was a great car to drive but the mechanical, electric and software issues were just too much without any trust or responsibility accepted by MG UK.

I think that you should name and shame praise the dealer concerned. They have done the right thing and will be out of pocket despite the fact that the real villains are MG UK (SAIC owned) and SAIC themselves.

Like you I believe that the MG4 could be a great car but there are just too many issues and their handling by SAIC is poor.

It does look on the face of it that there are an abnormally high number of dissatisfied customers. It is concern.
Be careful extrapolating anything from forum posts, they are not representative. Most people get on a car forum because they have an issue, enthusiasts are a small population.

Not to belittle the MG issues, and I agree that as a customer a half baked product in this day and age is not acceptable. BUT.......what also strikes me as curious is how different brands are being treated differently by their customers. Case in point - Tesla owners accept cars with lots of problems and have an almost masochistic desire to be owners, whereas MG or possibly other Chinese made car owners are at the absolute opposite end of the pain threshold.

Not to belittle the MG issues, and I agree that as a customer a half baked product in this day and age is not acceptable. BUT.......what also strikes me as curious is how different brands are being treated differently by their customers. Case in point - Tesla owners accept cars with lots of problems and have an almost masochistic desire to be owners, whereas MG or possibly other Chinese made car owners are at the absolute opposite end of the pain threshold.

I’d suggest the Tesla owners are more invested in their cars, financially and emotionally.
It’s a ‘lifestyle brand’, people will desire one and, yes, maybe forgive it more.
I’d also suggest there are benefits to Tesla ownership that balance out issues.

My car is going back in on 5/1
I’ve had it since 5/11.
Technically that’s 60 days and rejection after that would/should be a pain.
However, the issues started literally as soon as I drove away from the dealer, the issues are documented/proveable, it’s spent a minimum of 7 days in their workshop (while I drive crappy loan Dacia Dusters) and the latest repair has been stalled by Xmas holidays (not my fault)
If I reject the car, which is still feasible, I expect all of the above to be taken into account.

To add some perspective:
WE had an early Tesla model 3 which was great.....when it worked.
We then had a very early Polestar 2 which we rejected due to numerous faults which were not fixed in good time.
We have a very early Ioniq 5 P45 which has unresolved faults since September 2021

We now have an MG4 SE which after 5 weeks is behaving itself. Mind you, there isn't nearly as much to go wrong...

Just goes to prove though, just because you spend twice as much on some things it doesn't necessarily mean you get twice the quality and functionality. Just twice the headaches.

To add some perspective:
WE had an early Tesla model 3 which was great.....when it worked.
We then had a very early Polestar 2 which we rejected due to numerous faults which were not fixed in good time.
We have a very early Ioniq 5 P45 which has unresolved faults since September 2021

We now have an MG4 SE which after 5 weeks is behaving itself. Mind you, there isn't nearly as much to go wrong...

Just goes to prove though, just because you spend twice as much on some things it doesn't necessarily mean you get twice the quality and functionality. Just twice the headaches.
At work we had a £300k Mercedes Unimog, that needed a new engine and gearbox after 120miles as it decided to blow itself up.

High Cost != Faultless

To be fair it's not the faults, although members whose cars have been at dealerships longer than on their drives may disagree!
It's the way the faults are dealt with and that appears to very hit and miss, again as some members can testify too

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 538 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back