Car won't rapid charge

bear1

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
After its first service the car has continued to charge at home without issue. However, tonight it has refused to connect and thus wouldn't charge on three different rapid chargers.
The first is a rebranded swarco (so I assumed a charger fault!) the second a new shell recharge (I've not used these before and it was behaving a little oddly, but...) and the third an ionity that I've previously used successful (and is a trusted brand as I understand it).
I managed to make it home and did a short test charge - perfectly happy. Very pleased it's not happened on a long journey.

Anyone any thoughts? I haven't tried disconnecting the 12v and I guess this is probably the first port of call.

I had problems with home charging at first, but the dealer installed a software update specifically to issues regarding charging, and it was solved.

Yes, but the OP is asking about rapid charging. His home charging is thankfully fine.

There were some cars with this issue in the summer, round about July. People had some sort of software update, and then discovered their cars wouldn't charge on any DC charger. At least two people, I think, discovered some time into the ownership of their cars that they couldn't rapid charge, one of these being quite recent and the car had to be recovered from a holiday destination by the AA.

In the summer the issue which began with a software update seemed to be fixed with a software update. I remember taking my car to three different DC chargers after a software update at the end of July, just in case, but it was fine - both before and after the update.

This sounds very similar to the problems people had in the summer. Is it possible that when you had the service, the dealer had managed to install the software version that caused that issue, I wonder?

Look here. I won't merge the threads because the issues could be quite different, but this owner said his problem also happened after a service, and it was something to do with the car reporting a ridiculously high battery temperature to the charger, and the charger (not unnaturally) declining to take the relationship any further.

Here is the one where the car had to be recovered from the holiday destination by the AA. I'm not quite sure, but I think in that case it might have been the first time the owner had tried to charge on a DC charger.

Yes, but the OP is asking about rapid charging. His home charging is thankfully fine.

There were some cars with this issue in the summer, round about July. People had some sort of software update, and then discovered their cars wouldn't charge on any DC charger. At least two people, I think, discovered some time into the ownership of their cars that they couldn't rapid charge, one of these being quite recent and the car had to be recovered from a holiday destination by the AA.

In the summer the issue which began with a software update seemed to be fixed with a software update. I remember taking my car to three different DC chargers after a software update at the end of July, just in case, but it was fine - both before and after the update.

This sounds very similar to the problems people had in the summer. Is it possible that when you had the service, the dealer had managed to install the software version that caused that issue, I wonder?
Thank you for this. I did see the other thread, and wondered if there was a conclusion.

As you say, thankfully the car seems to be home charging okay. And I'm very pleased it's happened at a time when it's caused me a minor inconvenience and not stranded the family hours from nowhere.

I can only assume the dealer have messed things up with the software update - they haven't used the latest updates.

My guess is the same. The initial manifestation of the problem didn't last long. I think they applied an update, there was a flurry of outraged complaints, and they got a fix out PDQ. But we know there was a software version that did that, and if it's out there, there's a chance someone might get it installed by a dealer who hasn't been paying attention.

Look here. I won't merge the threads because the issues could be quite different, but this owner said his problem also happened after a service, and it was something to do with the car reporting a ridiculously high battery temperature to the charger, and the charger (not unnaturally) declining to take the relationship any further.

Here is the one where the car had to be recovered from the holiday destination by the AA. I'm not quite sure, but I think in that case it might have been the first time the owner had tried to charge on a DC charger.

That’s me! I had successfully fast charged a couple of times in the past. Still waiting news about my car at MG Chiswick

I put a bit of silicone grease on a small paint brush and painted the inside and outside of all the pins of the socket and charging cables. Not only does it keep the moisture out but makes the insertion smoother 😁

Last edited by a moderator:
Good point. This is definitely a possibility due to AC charging in heavy rain. I'll take some kitchen roll to it and give it a test.
No luck here - bone dry. I'll try to charge again later today I'm case it was a temporary issue (for example water that has since dried).
I've got it booked into the dealer in a couple of weeks.

Just to update folk, in case others have this issue. Car went back to the dealer today. They updated various parts of the software and, it seems, attended to a couple recalls I was unaware of. I tested it on the way home and the issue is resolved.
Kindly - though only appropriately I feel - they didn't charge me for the courtesy car insurance.

Just to update folk, in case others have this issue. Car went back to the dealer today. They updated various parts of the software and, it seems, attended to a couple recalls I was unaware of. I tested it on the way home and the issue is resolved.
Kindly - though only appropriately I feel - they didn't charge me for the courtesy car insurance.
Brilliantly...
Car is now more broken!
Turns out it won't use more than 20% power at over 50mph, won't use over 60% at all. Oh, and there's no regenerative braking.
Booked in again for next Tuesday.

It's strange having a car that is mechanically fine but screwed up by software.

Was nice on the phone but have sent a (polite) email that makes it clear I'm now unhappy. Driving on the dual carriageway was dangerous at times when you can't rely on having any acceleration over 50.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 499 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back