CarPlay disconnect if I go around a roundabout..

JuziWomble

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Any one else on v.46 & found that Apple Car play (S/W) will simply not load up when you start the car up - No matter your start up sequence (and waiting to connect the iphone)..

Then if it suddenly decides to 'detect' the USB connected iPhone on an Apple cable, it then disconnects at the slightest road blip - Like a roundabout that I have to turn the car around (minor chassis roll) - 5 times this morning & Two 'resets of the Infotainment system' via holding the Home icon down for 10 seconds etc - Before it stayed connected and stable! If there was ONE major gripe that enabled me to change this car it would be this - VERY CLOSELY followed by the Lane (Attempt to Kill you) Assist function

Yet I jump into my Wifes Gen 1 ZS - Start car connect iPhone to USB lead - Boom Car Play INSTANTLY fires up.. OH AND the Chosen setting of Lane Assist (i.e Turned OFF) is YEAH STILL OFF !!!

Go figure !

Rant off ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Any one else on v.46 & found that Apple Car play (S/W) will simply not load up when you start the car up - No matter your start up sequence (and waiting to connect the iphone)..

Then if it suddenly decides to 'detect' the USB connected iPhone on an Apple cable, it then disconnects at the slightest road blip - Like a roundabout that I have to turn the car around (minor chassis roll) - 5 times this morning & Two 'resets of the Infotainment system' via holding the Home icon down for 10 seconds etc - Before it stayed connected and stable! If there was ONE major Grip that enabled me to change this car it would be this - VERY CLOSELY followed by the Lane (Attempt to Kill you) Assist function

Yet I jump into my Wifes Gen 1 ZS - Start car connect iPhone to USB lead - Boom Car Play INSTANTLY fires up.. OH AND the Chosen setting of Lane Assist (i.e Turned OFF) is YEAH STILL OFF !!!

Go figure !

Rant off ...
I wonder if you have one of the dodgy USB PCBs that have been mentioned elsewhere on these boards?

I wonder if you have one of the dodgy USB PCBs that have been mentioned elsewhere on these boards?
Does make me wonder if I wiggle it ... then it works/doesnt work/works - SO Maybe your right ....

I'll add it to the discussion when Im at the dealership next week re the ZS - But its going to be an interesting claim trying to give Proof of this issue...

Then if it suddenly decides to 'detect' the USB connected iPhone on an Apple cable, it then disconnects at the slightest road blip - Like a roundabout that I have to turn the car around (minor chassis roll) - 5 times this morning & Two 'resets of the Infotainment system' via holding the Home icon down for 10 seconds etc - Before it stayed connected and stable! If there was ONE major Grip that enabled me to change this car it would be this - VERY CLOSELY followed by the Lane (Attempt to Kill you) Assist function

Go figure !

Rant off ...
Re the first issue I discovered that you cannot just plug the iPhone in. It has to be unlocked at the time otherwise the car will not link to it and the CarPlay button will stay logged out.

Re the first issue I discovered that you cannot just plug the iPhone in. It has to be unlocked at the time otherwise the car will not link to it and the CarPlay button will stay logged out.
ah ... theres an option within the settings on the iPhone for apple car play on the phone to enable use with phone locked

Could a touch of Bluetack (suitably and safely placed) help it stay in place more firmly while you wait for a dealer fix ?
lol - that reminds me of decades ago I used to have a double sided strip of velcro - one side attached to the old brick mobile - the other to the top side of the dash..

;)

Could a touch of Bluetack (suitably and safely placed) help it stay in place more firmly while you wait for a dealer fix ?
Or perhaps a touch with a soldering iron and skip the dealer altogether?

Of course, you have to have some electronics skills, or know someone who does, and may have trouble getting access to the offending PCB. Assuming that the problem actually is a dodgy solder joint.

The dealer will likely toss a whole module into landfill; there are sadly so few board level repairs these days.

I have that switched to allow it but it still requires the phone to be unlocked to get my car to accept it.
Interestingly I had to do that this morning - As it didn't 'recognize' the medium that was trying to access the iPhone - S/W Glitch not sending the correct handshake.. Or PCB issue with the USB port

Thing is it doesn't always 'not connect' - I have had a couple of mornings that its 'just worked' - But the normal process is having done the pre flight start up sequence, to have to reconnect the USB lead to the car (often a few times) and then it 'connects to the iPhone'..

Or perhaps a touch with a soldering iron and skip the dealer altogether?

Of course, you have to have some electronics skills, or know someone who does, and may have trouble getting access to the offending PCB. Assuming that the problem actually is a dodgy solder joint.

The dealer will likely toss a whole module into landfill; there are sadly so few board level repairs these days.
Wish I had the skills and knowledge / Would gladly have a go

Remember some 8 years back - I took my then Summer daily Saab 9-3 Convertible radio out and swopped the buttons from that unit out with a clean un rubbed out button unit - Couldn't switch the radios over due to some coding within the car ...
I also changed most of the rubbed out switches with clean newish ones from breakers - Restored that Saab from the leather interior to the fabric roof ... Dam shame the timing chain snapped on it ... ICE cars eh lol

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 504 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back