Carrying a load on the roof

So now you can buy roof racks for mg4: Tilbehørsshop | MG Motor Danmark
Screenshot_20221221-001550.png

Interestingly (or not, I can be a bit sad about these things ), I looked at the Thule website a few weeks ago,. I selected MG; 2023; 4 5-door hatchback; normal roof and lo, there were roof bar 'kits' varying in price but each was marked out of stock. They were cheaper than the MG Denmark items. I regret that I didn't note the individual reference numbers for the feet, bars and other bits because the detail has been removed. I guess that Thule are prepared for the day that the car is certified to carry a roof load but in the meantime are covering their legal liability.

AM did you purchase the car and have you found a solution for carrying kayaks as I am looking at the car but have exactly the same issue. thanks

My understanding is that Europe did the paperwork to authorize the use of roof racks on the MG4 which is why you see companies like Thule already supporting the MG4 when offering kits to do it (just pop it in on their site).

It's something to do with MG UK not having done this yet, it happened with the MG5 and eventually it came after launch (not sure how long it took).

The roof load in Europe where approved is 75KG but if you used a roof rack over here in the UK it could lead to your insurance company not paying out and/or invalidating your policy until such time that they have been certified.

It would be down to the owner/driver of the vehicle to either load or not load roof racks based on this information.

I'm also waiting and hoping they approve them.

AM did you purchase the car and have you found a solution for carrying kayaks as I am looking at the car but have exactly the same issue. thanks
I did. I also spoke to my insurers. I was honest and explained the situation with uk approval. They gave me permission to use a roof rack, subject to the 60kg max load and the total vehicle limit, and updated my policy. This was at no extra charge. I therefore bought a Thule set up and have carried each kayak and a top box, separately of course. It should be noted, the prescribed distance between the two bars is 700mm, which is quite narrow for the tandem which is 3600mm long, so additional fore and aft restraints are recommended. For the front I use the bonnet latch loop and the towing eye at the rear. I confess, I really worry about the bonnet strap damaging the bonnet.
Good luck with your insurer.

I’ve read somewhere that optimal charging strategy is to charge to a max of 80% and not let drop below 15%. What are others doing?

I did. I also spoke to my insurers. I was honest and explained the situation with uk approval. They gave me permission to use a roof rack, subject to the 60kg max load and the total vehicle limit, and updated my policy. This was at no extra charge. I therefore bought a Thule set up and have carried each kayak and a top box, separately of course. It should be noted, the prescribed distance between the two bars is 700mm, which is quite narrow for the tandem which is 3600mm long, so additional fore and aft restraints are recommended. For the front I use the bonnet latch loop and the towing eye at the rear. I confess, I really worry about the bonnet strap damaging the bonnet.

This is really positive news, who's your insurer out of curiosity?

I'll look into doing the same :)

I bought the following Thule parts to fit on my MG4 SE LR. You can get the fitting instructions from their website as they do a pack for the MG4 but it's cheaper to buy separately or eBay.

----
Thule Wingbar Evo
Model number: 711320

Thule Evo Clamp
Model number: 710500

Kit 145342 - ordered from Thule
Model number: 145342

Thule ProRide 591

Top box is a Halfords Advanced 470L Roof Box - Black.
---
Fitted no issues and have been to Cornwall and back with it loaded.

This is really positive news, who's your insurer out of curiosity?

I'll look into doing the same :)
Admiral (multicar). This policy was originally for the ZS EV 1 and I simply updated the car to the MG4 as delivery was at rather short notice. I will look around at renewal but will double check the roof rack situation before moving.

Halfords Advanced 470L

Got any pictures of it installed buddy? I'm just sourcing mine now and looking for the biggest possible without it interfering with the boot when its opened.

I've got the Thule Force XT L. Fits perfectly.

Thanks for that! I was looking at the Force XT L but also the basket they sell, need as much storage as possible!

Not sure if this helps but Thule has several Youtube videos showing how to fit their roof racks to the MG4.

Also found this company who have a helpful website that shows which Thule roof racks will fit the MG4. I have NO affiliation with this company. Just found them while searching for roof racks and they seem pretty good..

Roof racks, roof boxes, bike carriers, luggage bags 4, 5 door Hatchback 2023 +

Any images of this ? Roof Box and Kayak ?!

I've got the Thule Force XT L. Fits perfectly.
Any chance of some images of this on your MG4 ?

Well I've just had a lovely email from a lady representative from MG of which I have had the pleasure in corresponding with,

See excerpt:

"....
Of course, customers are welcome to buy roof bars from third party companies, such as Thule.
MG would recommend looking for ISO11154 approved third party tow bars as the manufacturer, such as Thule, would have conducted their own testing.

To Confirm, MG wouldn't envisage any issues if purchasing a roof rack from a reputable company such as Thule.
But MG would not be responsible for any damage caused by usage of these aftermarket components to paintwork or roof structure in use as we have not been involved with their development and have not tested them.
"

I think they meant 'Roof Rack' instead of 'Tow Bar' - Either way this is fine by me - if I miss fitted the rack and as a result damaged the car - Well that's my fault and if needed it would against my insurance to repair etc & most certainly not down to MG to make good.

So ladies and Gents - Whilst I'm not publishing the Email in its full due to respect - I will be fitting my Thule Product following Thule's instructions i.e making good note of the W & Z marker point's (Z being some '250mm' or 9 1/2" from the Windshield)

Happy days

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 512 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 87 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel