CCS Communications Problems

DelBoy

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Has anyone had an issue with the CCS not communicating with the charger therefore no CCS charging.

I have tried 7 different chargers (CCS) and all state that the car had an internal issue and some state that the car is not communicating with the charger.

I have charged with a wall charger and a Level 2 charger at a supermarket, both worked.

Any ideas???

This thread maybe has some answers? It seems to be describing a similar problem that arose only recently.

So I tried 3 different grid serve chargers, a BP charger, 3 more grid serve chargers, and a Podpoint chargers, none worked and the last one I took a screen shot of the failure:

I tried to lock car, start charging on infotainment, plus others, ended up waiting 2 hours in service station for a Type 2 charger as a BMW was on the only one.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-07-27 204939.png
    Screenshot 2023-07-27 204939.png
    707.1 KB · Views: 91
Might be the old ccs connection problem, when connecting please make sure to hold/press the ccs plug firmly to the car socket. The problem could be that the top of the plug is sliding slightly out of the socket and the can bus pins loses connection.
I always make sure to hold the plug firmly in place until the charger confirms connection, then if needed (if charging does not start after a few seconds) I start the charging manualy from the infotainment screen.

Last edited:
There appears to be a common thread where individuals are having to do odd things to make their car charge on CCS, it should not be like this, another link to charging issues, hopefully it is not just Gridserve as I have had updates and before I could charge anywhere, now I cannot, tried Gridserve, Podpoint, Revive, BP. Therefore it is either the charger side, or the cars had updates that have effectively disabled CCS charging by not communicating with the charger therefore not CCS charging. My bet is it is the Car!!! Car due to garage tomorrow will keep all UpToDate on what is the diagnosis.

See another link: Charger Issues -

P.s. the "old ccs communication problem" I was talking abaut, is caused by heavy charge cables making the plug tilting slightly out on top (where the comunication pins are in the plug). So making sure that is not the problem is like the thing to do. Learned this from Bjørn Nyland on you tube (Tesla Bjørn).

The last time I tried to charge I ensured that the plug was fully engaged into the car due to the above post, but sorry I do not think this is the issue here. Thank you anyway

Last time I charged (Friday) on the village rapid charger everything was as normal, including the obligatory "DC output failure" message the first time I tried, followed by a successful charge second time of asking. But then, my car has not had any updates. (That is due to change tomorrow, fingers crossed nothing awful happens.)

Have the people this is happening to had software updates since the last time they successfully used a CCS charger?

So, have had my car in for CCS charging issues (i.e. it didn't anymore) after updates carried out on 6th Jul 23. Went on a longer journey on 21st Jul and on returning I could not charge using any CCS Chargers. Had to wait for around 3 hours on motorway service station as there was only one Type 2 charger that worked. Had car booked in straight away for today.

Now back from yet another software update (that was stated as a recall [yet another]) and this fixed the charger issue that happened (I'm guessing) at the last update. The recall update was for the EVCC (I'm guessing that was the Electric Vehicle Charge Controller) and resolved the CCS charging issue, as when I collected it it was still on the CCS charger at the garage (therefore seemed to be working [96% SOC]), I stopped it at that point as you should only charge to 80% but it was part of the recall and in essences free (although I had to get there in the first place).

So the takeaway here is, if you have had recent updates, try to charge with CCS and if there is a problem get the recall update for the EVCC module. Don't need that stress when you have somewhere to go with a little bit of urgency and finding out the issue.

Happy journeys and I still am liken the MG, they did have a MG4X (matt green) there but so did try to get it as a loaner but no plates :(

Thank you for that. My car is in at the dealer's at the moment and they mentioned something about a recall for a battery management update. I'll try it on the CSS connector as soon as I get home to make sure this is working OK.

The thing is, it was working perfectly on Friday when I used a CSS connector, so I'm slightly unclear why there would be an issue now. If an interim update created an issue, and this has now been fixed, it's all a bit murky.

By the time I pick the car up it will be a bit late for them to do anything tonight anyway. And as far as I can see they only have type 2 charging. And I imagine they'll want their courtesy car back.

Plan. Bring car home. Find out if it will charge on the ChargePlace Scotland charger. If not, pootle down to Abington, where there is a motorway service station with both Gridserve and Applegreen chargers to play with. If I have problems, put the car on the granny charger all night and scream blue murder at the dealer tomorrow!

As for as I am aware there are very few (if any) dealers with rapid CCS chargers, but I think all have type 2 chargers.

I can only offer what my situation was, and MG Weston-Super-Mare does have a CCS charger. Any would do, if there is not one at the garage then go to a local CCS charger and try it, you only need to connect and spend about 10p on it to see it works, it's got to be a lot better than discovering it on a long run and only being able to use the Type 2, that is what happened in my case.

I don't want to be a pedant, but this isn't a "recall", a recall is when there's a serious safety issue and you are asked to bring your car back in urgently to have it rectified.

This is a service bulletin: an update to be made to fix an issue when the customer next brings in the car, e.g. at the next service.

I only bring this up because it may confuse some people into "why haven't I been contacted about a recall?".

The big difference as far as we're concerned is that a recall is fixed for free, and a service bulletin item is usually chargeable unless done during the annual service.

I agree with the service bulletin, but, if there is a fault with the car then it is carried out under warranty and therefore free.

As with all these updates, if you have a fault with the car and you report it as a fault then you shouldn't get charged, but if you just say I want xyz updates then you will be charged

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 529 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back