• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

CCS rapid charge issues on zs-any one else?

I have had the same problem with my MG5. I have it booked in to my local MG garage soon so lets see what your garage say as it looks to be the same fault.

Update - car back having had various units updated (didn't go in to details as didn't speak to mechanic I am afraid). Asked to take away and test. Still doesn't communicate with CCS charger ×2 tried, just doesn't lock in place. Images of what chargers say will now be submitted to MG to advise on what garage should try next!
Andy

Attachments

• 20211014_123332.jpg
    20211014_123332.jpg
    401.6 KB · Views: 217
  • 20211014_131503.jpg
    20211014_131503.jpg
    596.8 KB · Views: 200
Update - car back having had various units updated (didn't go in to details as didn't speak to mechanic I am afraid). Asked to take away and test. Still doesn't communicate with CCS charger ×2 tried, just doesn't lock in place. Images of what chargers say will now be submitted to MG to advise on what garage should try next!
Andy
What does it say on the car screen when you do a fast charge that would be more to the point I think.

Update - car back having had various units updated (didn't go into details as didn't speak to mechanic I am afraid). Asked to take away and test. Still doesn't communicate with CCS charger ×2 tried, just doesn't lock in place. Images of what chargers say will now be submitted to MG to advise on what garage should try next!
Andy
What does it say on the car screen when you do a fast charge that would be more to the point I think.
'Connected but not charging'
That would suggest that the car is happy that the cable is connected correctly and it is waiting on the charge point to initiate the charge, I can't understand why the garage did not test it on a rapid before returning it to you, if there is a rapid charger near the garage get them to get in the car with you take it to the rapid and let them get it to charge, if you don't have a problem with an A/C charge the car must be connecting to the cable OK but it could be the DC pins on the car that are the problem, worth a try.

I've had an issue with older style CCS chargers. On a previous thread someone suggested that the ZS point doesn't always connect properly with the charger, so suggested slightly moving the connector when the handshake is happening. I'm not sure but I swear that HAS helped on a couple of occasions!

I also had that the charger read that I already had a figure like 94-98% charge, when I was desperately low, and I rightly or wrongly seemed to think that the charger retained the info from the previous car's charge.

That would suggest that the car is happy that the cable is connected correctly and it is waiting on the charge point to initiate the charge, I can't understand why the garage did not test it on a rapid before returning it to you, if there is a rapid charger near the garage get them to get in the car with you take it to the rapid and let them get it to charge, if you don't have a problem with an A/C charge the car must be connecting to the cable OK but it could be the DC pins on the car that are the problem, worth a try.
I live about 100 metres away from the dealership in my village. As I can charge on my home 7kw charger I was happy to try myself and stroll the few metres to say 'nope not sorted' and to carry on using whilst they get advice from MG. Not sure it is a dc pins issue as on rapid type 2 will charge just at about 7kw max.

Less than rare, always charge at home. I did use when I first got the vehicle whilst awaiting home charger installation and it worked. It has had a service and software update in meantime and when I went to use on a long trip found it didn't work anymore! Vehicle is in garage at mome
no, and wonder if the software update mucked things up. Doesn't communicate with CCS at all and on type 2 rapid only at 7kw max(no matter what the charge rate of charger is).
Type 2 fast power points that are higher than 7kw make no difference to the original MG ZS as that is the maximum the car internal charger will accept, unlike the new ZS which has an 11kw internal charger which makes more sense as most ac power points Are now 11kw or higher.

I live about 100 metres away from the dealership in my village. As I can charge on my home 7kw charger I was happy to try myself and stroll the few metres to say 'nope not sorted' and to carry on using whilst they get advice from MG. Not sure it is a dc pins issue as on rapid type 2 will charge just at about 7kw max.
Thanks for the updates. Interesting to see what they come back with.

Hi Andy. Have you had any info back from the dealers regarding the CCS issue?

Hi Andy. Have you had any info back from the dealers regarding the CCS issue?
Hi, On Monday MG needed convincing it wasn't the charger at fault so sent 3 images from 3 different chargers all saying charge disconnected by vehicle which seemed to convince them the vehicle was the issue. Dealership have been advised to replace the communication unit from behind bumper now. The garage have told me they just need to find a vehicle to get the unit from! Hopefully they will have done that next week and I will then update you further. Andy

Hi, On Monday MG needed convincing it wasn't the charger at fault so sent 3 images from 3 different chargers all saying charge disconnected by vehicle which seemed to convince them the vehicle was the issue. Dealership have been advised to replace the communication unit from behind bumper now. The garage have told me they just need to find a vehicle to get the unit from! Hopefully they will have done that next week and I will then update you further. Andy
Thanks Andy that's super let's see what they do and great as a result.

I just wonder if the mechanism that should lock the charger head in place, is acting up? It could well then tell the car 'all is not Well' and fail to properly connect up.....just a thought.

I just wonder if the mechanism that should lock the charger head in place, is acting up? It could well then tell the car 'all is not Well' and fail to properly connect up.....just a thought.
Possibly, an AC charger such as my home one locks in to place and charges fine. Any CCS DC...nope. Car says connected but not charging, charger indicates communicating with car, then charger says charging session ended by car...immediately. CCS DC never actually locks in at any stage.

If you wiggly the charge gun in the port and lock and unlock the car it finally locks the CCS gun in place but it's the same result that it fails to charge and the same error appears on all the 6-7 or so chargers I have tried.

Thanks Andy that's super let's see what they do and great as a result.
Hi, Communication unit replaced on my ZS EV but alas issue remains so they are going back to MG again for advice. The MG5 with a similar issue was still up on a ramp with unknown cause of problem. My money is on a locking mechanism problem as a 43kwh AC locks and charges (at 7kwh) but the CCS DC from same charger (see images below) just does not lock into place even though car says connected (but not charging). I shall await advice from MG again!

Attachments

• VideoCapture_20211029-154942.jpg
    VideoCapture_20211029-154942.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 188
  • 20211029_145218.jpg
    20211029_145218.jpg
    548.5 KB · Views: 218
Hi, Communication unit replaced on my ZS EV but alas issue remains so they are going back to MG again for advice. The MG5 with a similar issue was still up on a ramp with unknown cause of problem. My money is on a locking mechanism problem as a 43kwh AC locks and charges (at 7kwh) but the CCS DC from same charger (see images below) just does not lock into place even though car says connected (but not charging). I shall await advice from MG again!
Well sometimes by locking and unlocking the car it does lock the CCS in place but it still fails to communicate and charge so I think there is more too it. Have a go- wiggle the CCS gun in the port ever so slightly and lock and unlock the car and see if it locks in place as mine did. This was the only thing. The AA call out guy figured out to do (made no difference though) as he said he had no idea how to work on an ev. Basically the AA are useless and have always been since my 1st encounter in the 1990's I have found and they don't seem to be working with MG regarding EVs as I was educating the AA guy and near 4hrs later we had to be taken home with a recovery truck. The AA are not real mechanics just people who what to work for them selves kind of. Green flag alot better as they always come out with a flat bed and tow you away straight away if they cannot fix the issue. Anyway I digress.

Thank you for the update so far. I now have a dealer slightly closer and I might see if they have a service center to and see if they look at my vehicle and update too. 👍

Well sometimes by locking and unlocking the car it does lock the CCS in place but it still fails to communicate and charge so I think there is more too it. Have a go- wiggle the CCS gun in the port ever so slightly and lock and unlock the car and see if it locks in place as mine did. This was the only thing. The AA call out guy figured out to do (made no difference though) as he said he had no idea how to work on an ev. Basically the AA are useless and have always been since my 1st encounter in the 1990's I have found and they don't seem to be working with MG regarding EVs as I was educating the AA guy and near 4hrs later we had to be taken home with a recovery truck. The AA are not real mechanics just people who what to work for them selves kind of. Green flag alot better as they always come out with a flat bed and tow you away straight away if they cannot fix the issue. Anyway I digress.

Thank you for the update so far. I now have a dealer slightly closer and I might see if they have a service center to and see if they look at my vehicle and update too. 👍
Thanks I am sure we have the same issue so will see which dealership identifies the issue first! Will keep you updated.

Thanks I am sure we have the same issue so will see which dealership identifies the issue first! Will keep you updated.
ZS EV...Update number...well I have forgotten really!
Latest is drove car plus mechanic plus their laptop to CCS charger so he could take readings from one of the controller units whilst I attempted to charge. Reading's sent to MG. Reply from MG take off bumper test various leads, replace all and ask customer to try again, if still not working take to bits again and replace charger unit. Dealer said they aren't doing that as ridiculous to ask of customer and work load so have gone to ordering a new charger unit straight away which they will replace for me to try to see if that sorts it. I am lucky as live 100 meters from garage and say good morning to mechanics most mornings as I drive to work!
MG5 I refer to above is still in bits in garage with no idea as to why it won't charge on CCS. The owner has the demonstrator in exchange so I suspect not worried!
Standby for update....?
Andy

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom