Ceramic Coatings

Spot on @Jenks! It looks great...Can I ask what that costs (never done one before) and how long it will likely last before needing to repeat?
Hi Shanecb. I have gone for a coating that lasts 5 years, but this will depend on how the car is washed etc. I went for a package that includes proper paint preparation so more expensive than if the car is just washed and a ceramic coating added.

Screenshot_20221125-171147.png

The cost would usually be £600, but they have a Black Friday discount offer at the moment at the place I used. Not cheap, but I had them apply a coating to my previous car and it still looked good 4 and a half years later, when I changed my car.

Can anyone recommend a detailer in West Yorkshire for a reasonably priced ceramic coating? And I don’t mean cheap, would like a decent job but don’t want to overpay. Thanks.

Check your local Faceache group/page ... they're far morel likely to give recommendations. (e.g. I know of 3 detailers in my local area - but I'm not in any form of Yorkshire) ;)

Can anyone recommend a detailer in West Yorkshire for a reasonably priced ceramic coating? And I don’t mean cheap, would like a decent job but don’t want to overpay. Thanks.
If you know which coating you want you could check the manufactures website. I went for Gyeon, as that is what my detailer uses, but they have a find an authorised detailer for their product on the website. Network - Gyeon UK

Just to give a balance to the ceramic coating debate. This is my Ford Focus washed 10 days ago with Autoglym Shampoo Conditioner and polished with Armor All Shield 8 months ago. It has never been ceramic coated or had any DiamondBrite type paint treatment.

1669540194091.jpeg

Last edited:
I’m a bit of an obsessive detailer. I’ve never had a ceramic coating. I have used a million different products but the best I’ve found so far if you don’t want a ceramic coating is THIS GRAPHENE SPRAY COATING - it is amazingly easy to apply and then wipe with micro fibre and lasts around 12 months. Gives great beading! You should prep the car before using, I would recommend thorough wash and then use a fallout remover and clay bar before first application.

Yesterday, for the first time, I used an in line water purification system to rinse the car after washing. No more drying towel, I am amazed by it, you can just let the car air dry and no water spots at all. Even the glass is crystal clear afterwards. I do use an air dryer but this is not needed, why have I not had this in my life before??!!

Vyair 11 Vessel
Mixed Bed Deionisation Resin

The kit was circa £175 delivered but this will last me around 18 months + before I need to buy more Resin which is £75 per bag delivered.

If you are into detailing and have not tried this type of water system before, you need this in your life!

EDIT - links updated and now work correctly

Last edited:
I don't get this fascination with "beading" I would prefer the water to sheet" off.
Beading leaves blobs of water that get coated with dust after the rain stops and leaves little circular water marks all over the car.

I’m a bit of an obsessive detailer. I’ve never had a ceramic coating. I have used a million different products but the best I’ve found so far if you don’t want a ceramic coating is THIS GRAPHENE SPRAY COATING - it is amazingly easy to apply and then wipe with micro fibre and lasts around 12 months. Gives great beading! You should prep the car before using, I would recommend thorough wash and then use a fallout remover and clay bar before first application.

Yesterday, for the first time, I used an in line water purification system to rinse the car after washing. No more drying towel, I am amazed by it, you can just let the car air dry and no water spots at all. Even the glass is crystal clear afterwards. I do use an air dryer but this is not needed, why have I not had this in my life before??!!

Vyair 11 Vessel
Mixed Bed Deionisation Resin

The kit was circa £175 delivered but this will last me around 18 months + before I need to by more Resin which is £75 per bag delivered.

If you are into detailing and have not tried this type of water system before, you need this in your life!
I was just looking at your links (as I've ordered black 😬) but they both go to the graphene spray?

I don't get this fascination with "beading" I would prefer the water to sheet" off.
Beading leaves blobs of water that get coated with dust after the rain stops and leaves little circular water marks all over the car.
I know what you mean Kithmo, I didn't use to consider beading of water on a car particularly useful. However, after I had my previous car ceramic coated I noticed the water beading and that then when the car was driven, the water just ran off.

The general view from detailers online that I have looked at is that 'Water beading gives your car more protection from different types of water sources, be it rain or sprinklers. Instead of the water sitting on the surface indefinitely, when it’s protected it has more surface tension to make the water roll away. This keeps your car cleaner for longer, with less chances of streaking and dirt buildup'. I am not sure how technically correct this is though, and this online article supports what you have said, What makes people so obsessed with beads?

As with lots of things relating to cars, it's personal views and experience and what works for you. For me, I have found the beading associated with ceramic coating has helped keep my car clean longer between washes. But I know some products that protect paint sheets the water instead of bleeding, so as with many things personal preference plays a big part.

I do like seeing the beads of water run-off 😁

Last edited:

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 496 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums