Changing from a Polestar 2 to a MG4

Willagecb

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Hello! I’m a newbie, so thought I’d introduce myself and say hi!

6 months ago, I took the plunge to go all EV (just prior to the electric price hike 🤦🏼‍♂️ And a bit of a big thing for a self confessed petrolhead) and went for a polestar 2 on a short term lease.
It’s a great car but it has a really annoying rattle, the mirrors have stopped working and the interior hasn’t worn well.
However I have become a complete convert to electric motoring!

I’ve been following MG’s for a while (partly as I have a MG midget, so a bit of a fan of the brand).

When the MG4 was announced I took a trip to the local dealer and took out a ZS, I didn’t like the hesitation on the initial acceleration (I kept burying my foot and there was a hesitation before the car responded) and for me it wallowed a little, however the build quality was much better than expected and specification was great.

Luckily, I was offered the opportunity to pre order an MG4 Trophy for a £100 deposit and following a test drive yesterday the remainder of the full deposit is now paid I’m due to take delivery this month (although as I’m away I cannot actually collect the car until Oct annoyingly).

A few comments from the test drive,
- the quality has stepped up again from the ZS, in my opinion it drives as well if not better than the polestar, it’s very responsive - however I couldn’t find a way to turn off the ‘creep’ so it acts as an auto which I found annoying (I’m hoping I find a setting to turn that off).
There’s a little more metal on show in the cabin than I would of preferred as you can see metal around the doors, but all in all I found it difficult to fault!

I’m looking forward to providing an ‘owners’ review after I’ve taken delivery, but feel free to ask my anything about the test drive!

6 months ago, I took the plunge to go all EV (just prior to the electric price hike 🤦🏼‍♂️ And a bit of a big thing for a self confessed petrolhead) and went for a polestar 2 on a short term lease.
It’s a great car but it has a really annoying rattle, the mirrors have stopped working and the interior hasn’t worn well.

I’ve been following MG’s for a while (partly as I have a MG midget, so a bit of a fan of the brand).

When the MG4 was announced I took a trip to the local dealer and took out a ZS, I didn’t like the hesitation on the initial acceleration (I kept burying my foot and there was a hesitation before the car responded) and for me it wallowed a little, however the build quality was much better than expected and specification was great.

Luckily, I was offered the opportunity to pre order an MG4 Trophy for a £100 deposit and following a test drive yesterday the remainder of the full deposit is now paid I’m due to take delivery this month (although as I’m away I cannot actually collect the car until Oct annoyingly).

- the quality has stepped up again from the ZS, in my opinion it drives as well if not better than the polestar, it’s very responsive - however I couldn’t find a way to turn off the ‘creep’ so it acts as an auto which I found annoying (I’m hoping I find a setting to turn that off).
There’s a little more metal on show in the cabin than I would of preferred as you can see metal around the doors, but all in all I found it difficult to fault!

I’m looking forward to providing an ‘owners’ review after I’ve taken delivery, but feel free to ask my anything about the test drive!
I don’t think that you will get rid of the “creep”. It’s not a one pedal drive, no matter how you set it up.

I don’t think that you will get rid of the “creep”. It’s not a one pedal drive, no matter how you set it up.
Thanks - I was hoping I could of reduced it. It’s not really a big issue tbh, it’s just it now seems a little odd to have to prevent the car from moving when stationary.

Like you, I really liked the ZS and in the few days I had it, the only significant disappointment for me was the hesitation in the acceleration.

can you confirm from your limited time, if this is no longer an issue in the MG4?

Was autohold selected?
Well autohold will stop the creep we’ll it certainly does on my MG5, not that I ever use it just keep a foot on the brake or stick it in park if I can see I’m stopping for a while, but has the MG4 got autohold in it ? from what I can see in the pictures , I can’t really tell next to the drive selector I see the handbrake but no other switch but I might be totally wrong, maybe it can be set up in the screen somehow and works automatically as does the drive mode and Regen braking, i don’t know still awaiting a phone call from Chorley MG to even get a look at the car, but I have seen 2 today on the road both white SE one in Wigan and one in Bolton.
Les

Well autohold will stop the creep we’ll it certainly does on my MG5, not that I ever use it just keep a foot on the brake or stick it in park if I can see I’m stopping for a while, but has the MG4 got autohold in it ? from what I can see in the pictures , I can’t really tell next to the drive selector I see the handbrake but no other switch but I might be totally wrong, maybe it can be set up in the screen somehow and works automatically as does the drive mode and Regen braking, i don’t know still awaiting a phone call from Chorley MG to even get a look at the car, but I have seen 2 today on the road both white SE one in Wigan and one in Bolton.
Les

Autohold option is in the Safety submenu.

MG4-Review-Launch-Event-WhichEV-IMG_1200.jpg

Like you, I really liked the ZS and in the few days I had it, the only significant disappointment for me was the hesitation in the acceleration.
The hesitation on the "Go Pedal" was evident when we first had a test drive of the facelift model.
The car had only been delivered the previous day, prior to the test drive.
As we left the dealer, somebody flashed their lights to let us out.
I touched the pedal and there was pronounced delay, as if the handbrake was still applied just a little, it did feel ready odd and off putting I have to say ????.
We had just jumped out of our Gen1 ZS EV that DID not suffer from this problem at all.
In fact, it was all too easy to spin the wheels if you was not careful, when trying to nip out on a busy roundabout !.
I did mention this delay to the sales person when we returned and she said that SHE had noticed the same delay / hesitation when pulling away herself ( over the previous ZS EV model ).
MMMmmmm ........ I was a little concerned about this to be totally honest.
The felt like a lot of free travel in the pedal, that did nothing at all ????.
When we collected our new facelift LR in March, I am pleased to report that it did not have any lag / hesitation when trying to make good progress, from the "Get Go" it pulled like at train !.
What I have discovered is this, IF the Auto Hold has been selected on the face lift models, you DO feel that initial lack of response / hesitation, free travel in the pedal when wanting to get away pretty smartly.
As the Auto Hold had not been activated on our car when we collected it and therefore the lack of progress was not evident.
It is only my opinion folks, but it just feels like when the auto hold is applied, it just hangs onto the car a just bit too long ( if you get my drift ) and that is the "Dead Spot" hesitation you can feel in the "Go" pedal from the get go.
I was a strange unwelcome and disconcerting feeling alright.
A huge "Smile Factor" of an electric car, is its ability to make quick progress from a standing start.
If you like to participate in the traffic light grand prix ( not me ) with the people who like hospital food or the "White Van" brigade, then this rapid get away is a must have feature 🤣 .

can you confirm from your limited time, if this is no longer an issue in the MG4?
Yeah totally, it was the one thing I was looking for in the test drive and there was instant response, in fact I’d use the term ‘extremely responsive’

Avoid 'creep' or induce hesitation... You have choices. My dsg golf does this now (autohold on). A light tap on the accelerator before you want to set off kills the autohold and you're good to go.

The hesitation on the "Go Pedal" was evident when we first had a test drive of the facelift model.
The car had only been delivered the previous day, prior to the test drive.
As we left the dealer, somebody flashed their lights to let us out.
I touched the pedal and there was pronounced delay, as if the handbrake was still applied just a little, it did feel ready odd and off putting I have to say ????.
We had just jumped out of our Gen1 ZS EV that DID not suffer from this problem at all.
In fact, it was all too easy to spin the wheels if you was not careful, when trying to nip out on a busy roundabout !.
I did mention this delay to the sales person when we returned and she said that SHE had noticed the same delay / hesitation when pulling away herself ( over the previous ZS EV model ).
MMMmmmm ........ I was a little concerned about this to be totally honest.
The felt like a lot of free travel in the pedal, that did nothing at all ????.
When we collected our new facelift LR in March, I am pleased to report that it did not have any lag / hesitation when trying to make good progress, from the "Get Go" it pulled like at train !.
What I have discovered is this, IF the Auto Hold has been selected on the face lift models, you DO feel that initial lack of response / hesitation, free travel in the pedal when wanting to get away pretty smartly.
As the Auto Hold had not been activated on our car when we collected it and therefore the lack of progress was not evident.
It is only my opinion folks, but it just feels like when the auto hold is applied, it just hangs onto the car a just bit too long ( if you get my drift ) and that is the "Dead Spot" hesitation you can feel in the "Go" pedal from the get go.
I was a strange unwelcome and disconcerting feeling alright.
A huge "Smile Factor" of an electric car, is its ability to make quick progress from a standing start.
If you like to participate in the traffic light grand prix ( not me ) with the people who like hospital food or the "White Van" brigade, then this rapid get away is a must have feature 🤣 .
Thanks,

will try both with auto hold on and off when I get the car, just so I know what is going if I need to alter the Autohold in the future.

Thanks,

will try both with auto hold on and off when I get the car, just so I know what is going if I need to alter the Autohold in the future.
It may not hold onto the car as hard on the MG4 Harry, it may just be a feature of the ZS EV facelift when Auto Hold is in use.
You will not be disappointed in the “Get Go” facility in many EV’s to be honest.
Instant torque from an electric motor beats almost any ICE.
Also, as there is no gear ⚙️ change lag between each shift, the EV pulls hard all the way !.
When pulling away from traffic lights 🚦 alongside an ICE car, the battle is lost as soon as the ICE makes the gear change from 1st to 2nd gear.
At this point the EV has made to much ground for the ICE to even bother continuing.
Apply smug grin to face mode !.

Last edited:
Yeah totally, it was the one thing I was looking for in the test drive and there was instant response, in fact I’d use the term ‘extremely responsive’
It’s also very possible the difference between a front wheel drive (ZS), and the rear wheel drive MG4. I certainly felt the difference between the ID3 (RWD) and the Kona (FWD).

I noticed a hesitation/delay when testing the zs and auto hold was definitely off.

I could compensate, but the Mrs, who has only ever driven the leaf which is instant, really struggled to drive it smoothly.

This is something I'm waiting for the test drive to check.

I noticed a hesitation/delay when testing the zs and auto hold was definitely off.

I could compensate, but the Mrs, who has only ever driven the leaf which is instant, really struggled to drive it smoothly.

This is something I'm waiting for the test drive to check.
Yes it was absolutely something I was aware of on the ZS, from my test drive I’m happy to say that delay has vanished and it responds instantly (just like the polestar).
Would be keen to hear your thoughts after you’ve taken it out, but for me it was a thumbs up!

Autohold option is in the Safety submenu.
Does that mean what I think it does? To set or unset autohold you have to go into the on-screen menus?

If so, that seems like a backward step from my MG5. I frequently use the autohold button to set or unset it. It's very useful when you're driving in traffic and come to a halt at lights or whatever, but it's a real nuisance when you're doing a complicated back and forth to get into a parking space for example. So sometimes I want it on and sometimes I want it off.

Does that mean what I think it does? To set or unset autohold you have to go into the on-screen menus?

If so, that seems like a backward step from my MG5. I frequently use the autohold button to set or unset it. It's very useful when you're driving in traffic and come to a halt at lights or whatever, but it's a real nuisance when you're doing a complicated back and forth to get into a parking space for example. So sometimes I want it on and sometimes I want it off.
Autohold doesn't activate until you press hard on the brake pedal, so I find it's possible to stop the vehicle completely with a lighter touch on the pedal without autohold taking over.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 500 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back