Charge Flap snapped off - ZS EV Trophy

Well add mine 2 month old MG to the list.

I’ll be honest, it’s comforting to know I’m not alone with this fault! Must have been sudden drop in temperature recently but I go to charge it and the front fell off!
Honestly why it’s made out of plastic is beyond me.

Am I looking at £350 then or did anyone have any luck claiming on warranty?

Well add mine 2 month old MG to the list.

I’ll be honest, it’s comforting to know I’m not alone with this fault! Must have been sudden drop in temperature recently but I go to charge it and the front fell off!
Honestly why it’s made out of plastic is beyond me.

Am I looking at £350 then or did anyone have any luck claiming on warranty?
Any photo's please !.

Last edited:
The same has happened to our MG. Several months back when we had that very cold week and everything froze over, the cover snapped off. Took it to our MG dealership in Guildford. They have quoted £156 for the part and £78 labour. They said the warranty doesn't cover it and if we go to anyone else but them we risk voiding our whole warranty

The same has happened to our MG. Several months back when we had that very cold week and everything froze over, the cover snapped off. Took it to our MG dealership in Guildford. They have quoted £156 for the part and £78 labour. They said the warranty doesn't cover it and if we go to anyone else but them we risk voiding our whole warranty
I'd be tempted to get some slow cure epoxy and glue it back on.

They have quoted £156 for the part and £78 labour.
£156 for the charge flap hinge sounds a little bit spiteful and £78 for the labour ( if correct ) would suggest less than an hour in total ?.
I think the only get the hinge because the coloured flap is switched over from the broken hinge.
Should these two figures be reversed, as I believe the front bumper cover requires removal to install the new charge flap hinge and then the bumper cover needs refitting of course.
I seem to remember somebody that enquired about a new charge flap hinge, was quoted about £40 ( ish ) ?.

Originally he tried to tell us it was £120 just to diagnose the problem. We told them the problem is already diagnosed as its quite clearly obvious lol. So in the end it resulted in £156 for the part and £78. They told us it would only take 30minutes to replace. However everyone here has been told several hours so I really don't know

Originally he tried to tell us it was £120 just to diagnose the problem. We told them the problem is already diagnosed as its quite clearly obvious lol. So in the end it resulted in £156 for the part and £78. They told us it would only take 30minutes to replace. However everyone here has been told several hours so I really don't know
It sounds like they are guessing that it doesn't need the bumper taking off.

Hey there, same issue in Europe ;)
My 06/2022´door broke of (but my fault).

Problem is, I contacted my German dealer and told him the original number of the part (11255911)

It seems right as he came back with the matching picture below. Problem is, he wants insane 312€ for the part WTF?!

I also found the part online in France and there it is 303€ as well:
1701263461478.png

Can someone who actually got it repaired confirm the part number and the UK price for it? I read 35 pounds a lot but no confirmation about it. I want to replace it myself (I am a mechanic for another brand) so I just need the part.
I already contacted a UK dealer, but they don't really want to help me, asking for my plate which is german ..... I told them the VIN but got no answer yet.

Maybe someone can help, I really appreciate it.
1701263028116.png

Hey there, same issue in Europe ;)
My 06/2022´door broke of (but my fault).

Problem is, I contacted my German dealer and told him the original number of the part (11255911)

It seems right as he came back with the matching picture below. Problem is, he wants insane 312€ for the part WTF?!

I also found the part online in France and there it is 303€ as well:
View attachment 21886

Can someone who actually got it repaired confirm the part number and the UK price for it? I read 35 pounds a lot but no confirmation about it. I want to replace it myself (I am a mechanic for another brand) so I just need the part.
I already contacted a UK dealer, but they don't really want to help me, asking for my plate which is german ..... I told them the VIN but got no answer yet.

Maybe someone can help, I really appreciate it.
View attachment 21885
Okay - Made a couple of phone calls and it goes a bit like this.
The original part number has been superseded.
Old number was 11255911.
New number is 10882591.
It is a complete assembly ( as before ) you just use your original coloured front plate.
I strongly suspect, that because this is a common request for replacement, the price has been dramatically increase from the original £35.00.
Are you sitting down - Price in the U.K. as of today £239.45 not sure if that includes VAT ( I guess not ).
They are available to order with a 2 - 3 day wait time.
So, a £200.00 mark up on the original price it would appear.
I should have bought one at the old price.
There has to be an opportunity here for somebody to create a 3D printed door, with a stronger hinge, surely 👍.
As the part number has changed, is it possible that the new part number has been modified / strengthened in some way ???.
If you do decide to purchase one of the new parts, can you please notify the forum if it HAS been upgraded in some way !.
Thanks !.

Will do, thank you for the information and at least we are all f.... now EU or not :p

I will wait till summer and remove the bumber to see if there is any luck in repairing it. If not I have to bite the bullet as its a lease car ....
Thanks again.

Disgusting and a disgrace...

Time to buy a 3D printer and make your own part.

Someone could make £££££ ove the next few years if he/she make the CAD drawings and sell the download for £1 each. Imagine how many cars are sold!

Will do, thank you for the information and at least we are all f.... now EU or not :p

I will wait till summer and remove the bumber to see if there is any luck in repairing it. If not I have to bite the bullet as its a lease car ....
Thanks again.
One member has carried out a “repair in place”.
It’s covered in the thread.
Access is the biggest problem here.
I think if you removed the front bumper cover and had the hinge assembly on the bench, you could first super glue it back together, then hot staple and plastic weld it back together.
Then I would strengthen the rear honey comb section at the reverse side of the hinge as this is the weak point IMHO.
A 3D print could omit the honey comb and increase the thickness of the hinge itself.
Come on you tech minded folks get in the case 🤣.
Oh ……. Just had it confirmed, it’s £239.44 plus VAT and then labour.
I am going to guess at about 2 hours labour, so you are looking at not much change out of £500 to replace it 😙.
That is spiteful for a plastic hinge !.

My son just wrote off the same flap walking past it while it was charging. Snapped right off. We've had the car less than a week! I don't know what to do OMG so mad!! Do you think it would be covered by warranty?

Last edited:
My son just wrote off the same flap walking past it while it was charging. Snapped right off. We've had the car less than a week! I don't know what to do OMG so mad!! Do you think it would be covered by warranty?
Sorry - I don’t think it will unfortunately.
The charging flap assembly is only held in place by few small bolts and is replaced quickly.
However to gain access, the bumper cover needs to be removed.
Which is going to take a few hours of labour plus the parts.
Not a cheap fix 🙄.

Sorry - I don’t think it will unfortunately.
The charging flap assembly is only held in place by few small bolts and is replaced quickly.
However to gain access, the bumper cover needs to be removed.
Which is going to take a few hours of labour plus the parts.
Not a cheap fix 🙄.
Thanks, yeah I thought it was a long shot. Still, less than a week old!
Any ideas where I might get a replacement bracket e.g. ebay or other sellers? If I can get the bracket that will help with time and maybe cost, for the mechanic to fix . I called the dealer for advice on where to fix, he's still to call me back lol, probably the last thing he wants to !

Any ideas where I might get a replacement bracket e.g. ebay or other sellers? If I can get the bracket that will help with time and maybe cost, for the mechanic to fix . I called the dealer for advice on where to fix, he's still to call me back lol, probably the last thing he wants to !
It won'[t be a warranty repair so if you can source the flap yourself, I would ask a local garage for a quote, it'll probably be cheaper.

I don’t believe the part is made by any third party supplier, it will be a OEM dealer part unfortunately.
If you scroll up to my post #114 above, it gives part numbers and prices etc.

I don’t believe the part is made by any third party supplier, it will be a OEM dealer part unfortunately.
If you scroll up to my post #114 above, it gives part numbers and prices etc.
Just looked back at your earlier comment!

That’s shocking the price has shot up so much!

I contacted my local MG dealer using the part number on my broken part (11255911).

They came back with a price of £139.44. Not sure if that includes VAT or not.

I’m going to try and find a second hand replacement instead. Not giving them best part of 150 quid for such a flimsy part.

Thanks for the research you’ve done. 👍👍

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom