ChargePlace Scotland App not activating any charge points

FYI there are chargers that just will not work with the MG5 (and some other makes) They are older models, cream coloured, phone box shaped with Evolt logo on the upper centre. Some of them do but not all, i.e. if you are at Broxden park and ride there's three of them, only the middle one charges the MG/

FYI there are chargers that just will not work with the MG5 (and some other makes) They are older models, cream coloured, phone box shaped with Evolt logo on the upper centre. Some of them do but not all, i.e. if you are at Broxden park and ride there's three of them, only the middle one charges the MG/
Thanks, I'll bear that in mind. I've not seen any of that type, and there seems to be no pattern to which style work with the (my?) app (account?).

My problems start before I've even tried to plug the car in :rolleyes:

I had the same experience with my first public charge attempt (7kW charger) with my new MG5 LR on Saturday. Error received after the 60 seconds to plug in message through the App. Then used the RFID card and it worked fine.

It's worth reporting any faults - there are two rapids near me, as soon as one was fixed, the other stopped working on CCS and now won't authorise on RFID but will though app - it's getting looked at after a report and chat with customer services to reboot it.

Although, I did have a session appear for a charger 50+ miles from the one I was talking to customer services about - maybe user error on their part, maybe a software bug. So keep an eye on your account for any charging sessions that are obviously wrong.

It's worth reporting any faults - there are two rapids near me, as soon as one was fixed, the other stopped working on CCS and now won't authorise on RFID but will though app - it's getting looked at after a report and chat with customer services to reboot it.
Definitely - they seem to have some fairly tight SLAs around repairs, but if they don't get reported nothing will get fixed (probably)!
Although, I did have a session appear for a charger 50+ miles from the one I was talking to customer services about - maybe user error on their part, maybe a software bug. So keep an eye on your account for any charging sessions that are obviously wrong.
Yeah, I had a weird 'stuck' session after starting and ending a session via the app the other day. No further current was drawn, and it eventually disappeared. Possibly after completing a charging session at a completely different charge point.
I had the same experience with my first public charge attempt (7kW charger) with my new MG5 LR on Saturday. Error received after the 60 seconds to plug in message through the App. Then used the RFID card and it worked fine.
This was my biggest mistake. Trying to save a tenner on the card and expecting the app to be a valid substitute for it.

I've now spent far more than the cost of the card having to home-charge because the only chargers within walking distance of where I'd be able to leave the car to get anywhere close to a full charge don't work with the app. Ah well, you live an learn! :rolleyes:

Hi,

Hi,

My first attempt at cooncil charging this morning resulted in complete failure!

Whenever I try to activate a charge point via the app it says 'plug in your vehicle. you have 60 seconds to comply' (or words to that effect), followed by 'Error Starting The Session. The chargepoint is unavailable'.

I phoned the helpline, who tried to activate it remotely, but that didn't work. They did manage to reboot it, but that didn't improve matters.

I've since come in out of the rain and tried a number of chargers (remotely) around my area, but they all say the same when I try to activate them.

Am I missing something? I've ordered an RFID token, but it'll take a while to arrive, so I'm 'stuck' with home charging for the time being.
There does seem to be a problem using the app. I've had RFID card for 2 years now and it's always worked fine. I put my ZS on charge on Friday at my usual charge point. It worked fine. Went back to get the car 3+ hrs later, there was a car sitting next to mine plugged in but not charging my car was also not charging. I spoke to the woman in the car and she had tried to use the app to start her charge. Not only would it not activate the charge point but it had stopped my charge session my car only had 120 miles on it but the charger was still blue. When I scanned my card the screen said socket B available. I was plugged in to A it would not deactivate A but was telling me B was available. I tried it a couple of times but it refused to switch A off. I unplugged the car side of the cable the charger went green. This is the first time I've ever experienced this. Maybe the app isn't very reliable.

There does seem to be a problem using the app. I've had RFID card for 2 years now and it's always worked fine. I put my ZS on charge on Friday at my usual charge point. It worked fine. Went back to get the car 3+ hrs later, there was a car sitting next to mine plugged in but not charging my car was also not charging. I spoke to the woman in the car and she had tried to use the app to start her charge. Not only would it not activate the charge point but it had stopped my charge session my car only had 120 miles on it but the charger was still blue. When I scanned my card the screen said socket B available. I was plugged in to A it would not deactivate A but was telling me B was available. I tried it a couple of times but it refused to switch A off. I unplugged the car side of the cable the charger went green. This is the first time I've ever experienced this. Maybe the app isn't very reliable.
It’s a bit of a mixed bag - I’ve had units activate with the RFID but not the app, and vice versa. If the RFID doesn’t work though, a reboot of the machine often helps (via customer services) unless the RFID card reader is broken - also worth reporting though.

Last edited:
Sounds like the charge post rebooted for some reason. When that happens it will stop charging but doesn't always clear the session hence the blue charge light.

Wah! Got my RFID card today, so went out tonight to test it out.

Tried four different charge points, including one that's known to be working for others, and it just refuses to do anything. Each machine completely fails to acknowledge the card's presence in any way. I phoned the helpline, but everything looks ok on my account.

Anyone else had a problem with theirs? I guess it's just bad luck I've got a faulty one :(

Sounds like it, try any other rfid card you have to see if the charger sees/refuses it and then try the new cps card, that'll tell you for sure.

Things to remember, it took decades for petrol stations to spring up in sufficient quantities when ice cars first became popular. Drivers used to have to go a chemist to buy petrol. (not to mention the disaster that self service nearly was when it started).
EV charging will get better but it all costs a shedload of money to set up and run a network.
So I wonder why EV charging took the step decades step backwards, rather than actually STARTING at the same degree of convenience as ICE fuelling.

Sounds like it, try any other rfid card you have to see if the charger sees/refuses it and then try the new cps card, that'll tell you for sure.
That's a great idea, I'll see what other cards I've got.
So I wonder why EV charging took the step decades step backwards, rather than actually STARTING at the same degree of convenience as ICE fuelling.
Yeah, it really should be in a better place by now!

I've got two work passes (different buildings; don't ask :rolleyes:). If I shine a light through them, one looks like it has similar circuitry to the CPS card, and I seem to be able to scan it with an app on my phone (which may make it an NFC card rather than an RFID one...I've no idea!).

The other one has a different layout and the phone doesn't read it. (It doesn't read the CPS one either though).

So, I'll try those asap - tomorrow probably - and see which (if either) produces any kind of reaction from a charger :)

Cost mainly, you can't install a network with the same coverage as petrol stations overnight and without astronomical cost. Also inertia, if what you have works why make the effort to change it until you are pushed. Also oil co's protecting profits.

Wah! Got my RFID card today, so went out tonight to test it out.

Tried four different charge points, including one that's known to be working for others, and it just refuses to do anything. Each machine completely fails to acknowledge the card's presence in any way. I phoned the helpline, but everything looks ok on my account.

Anyone else had a problem with theirs? I guess it's just bad luck I've got a faulty one :(
My replacement card arrived today, and worked fine at the new (AC) chargepoint in Dumbarton. Hopefully the DC one will get hooked up soon as well.

Just need my heater problem fixing now, and all will be good :D

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom