Charger + Octopus, recommended combos please.

BrianthatiscalledBrian

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Hi, thinking of ditching our Wallbox Pulsar Max charger due to not working for a month and Wallbox customer service as useful as a flat battery.
What home charger do you use in conjunction with Octopus Intelligent Go ? I see Ohme and Zappi mentioned a lot, any others that folks have used successfully ?
Our MG4 Trophy surviving on nightly granny charger charges right now.
Cheers all !

Blimey, hope your socket in the house is coping with the Granny charger. I have a Zappi with solar and have just jumped onto Intelligent Octopus Go, I'm quite impress with it, quite often you get extra time at the cheaper rate (7.5p kw/h). The control of the charger is effectively handed over to Octopus via the phone app, if you need a boost you can do that at the day rate (30.25p kw/h where I am). The change over process was near instant (assuming you have a working smart meter). Hope this is of help

Hi, thinking of ditching our Wallbox Pulsar Max charger due to not working for a month and Wallbox customer service as useful as a flat battery.
What home charger do you use in conjunction with Octopus Intelligent Go ? I see Ohme and Zappi mentioned a lot, any others that folks have used successfully ?
Cheers all !
How long have you had the Wallbox and was it installed by a registered EVSE installer as some have a 3 year warranty.
If you want a small tidy EVSE than go for the Ohme if you aren't worried about looks then go for the Zappi.

I am using Ohme ePod with Octopus Intelligent Go. Ohme ePod is probably smallest charger without tethered charging cable. Two engineers from Octopus Energy installed it for me.

Cheers all !
Hi I've got a rolec Wallpod smart charger. Ive had for 3 years with no problems. I'm on octopus go.

UPDATE: went for the Ohme Home Pro in the end, synced with IOG first time, I like the little info screen on the charger unit too ! IOG charging schedules not as slick as the Wallbox but I’m glad to have a working charger after 7 weeks of dead Wallbox and their dreadful customer service.

My Wallbox Pulsar Plus is working just fine. 🤷‍♂️

In what way is yours "not working"?
Long story but essentially the unit just wouldn’t talk to anything despite the app appearing to have a connection and the car recognising a charger was plugged into it. Green LEDs suggested it was alive but essentially it was “brain dead” .Proved this several times to Wallbox and even my installer came out and said the same, Wallbox however weren’t convinced and kept asking for checklists and diagnostics which were entirely redundant as the only thing that could be confirmed was power to the unit. After 7 weeks we decided to de-install it and replace with an Ohme. Wallbox next step at this point was to send their own installer to check it, and they weren’t even bringing a field spare as Wallbox wouldn’t authorise until they saw the “diagnostics”. This could have gone on for several more weeks. I should have looked at the Wallbox reviews on Trustpilot, i would have made a different decision back in Jan23.

I've been using my granny charger since I got the car, including one 10% to 100% charge and the plug doesn't even get warm. Last time I unplugged it, the pins were shiny and new-looking with no sign of any wear.
I noticed my granny charger plug was getting a bit warm (quite warm in fact) when doing an overnight charge. Anyway , new Ohme installed so I’m back to normal !

Blimey, hope your socket in the house is coping with the Granny charger. I have a Zappi with solar and have just jumped onto Intelligent Octopus Go, I'm quite impress with it, quite often you get extra time at the cheaper rate (7.5p kw/h). The control of the charger is effectively handed over to Octopus via the phone app, if you need a boost you can do that at the day rate (30.25p kw/h where I am). The change over process was near instant (assuming you have a working smart meter). Hope this is of help
It was an outside socket but even then it was definitely very warm !

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 501 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back