Charger taking ages on ""connecting..."

ScottishRoss

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Has anyone noticed it takes a long time for the charger to actually connect? I was getting confused about why my car wasn't charging over night so after some investigation, I found that when I put the charger in I have to wait a good minute or so before my car gets to the "connected but not charging" (which is correct because my home charger only charges at night). If I don't wait for this and lock my car, it won't charge overnight.

Has anyone else had this issue?

Are you setting the charging schedule on the PodPoint or the car/iSmart app?

I check the charging schedule on my charger's app and the % I want to charge to on the iSmart app before connecting anything. I don't have a charging schedule on the iSmartapp or the car.
I have an untethered charger so I plug the cable into the charger first then unlock the car, open the charging flap and plug the cable in before locking the car.

For reference, I have a Zappi charger and charge on a delayed schedule. I plug it in press (+) on the wall charger, with one of the car doors open. The charger starts charging almost immediately before being instructed by the car to delay charging at which point I can lock the car. I dont use the programmes on the charger. As IO normally charge to 80%, I need to keep an eye on the app, as it has a habit of changing times or charge level (to 100%), even though I charge to 100% on average once every 2 weeks

Have you tried cleaning the contacts ?
contact cleaner.jpg

Mine goes from blue to green at the charge port as soon as I plug it in and the dash says charging by the time I get from the charge port to the driver's door.

I do have a schedule on the PodPoint but I don't believe that's the issue. It's as others have noted, it can take a minute from plugging the charger into the car to the car being ready to charge.

I swear it used to take like 2 seconds, but now I have to stand around waiting for it for a minute.

I'll try the contact cleaner as suggested above, as luckily I already have a can.

Thanks for the link ... do you just literally spray a bit into the contact area and let it dry ?
I’d spray a bit, plug in and out several times, spray a bit more, plug I and out (obviously not powered on!) and basically try to get any ‘gunk’ off the contact.

Has anyone noticed it takes a long time for the charger to actually connect? I was getting confused about why my car wasn't charging over night so after some investigation, I found that when I put the charger in I have to wait a good minute or so before my car gets to the "connected but not charging" (which is correct because my home charger only charges at night). If I don't wait for this and lock my car, it won't charge overnight.

Has anyone else had this issue?
I have the MG5 FL with a similar issue - sometimes it charges overnight following the scheduled charging times, and other times not, seems to be random. When I do plug the charger into the car, the car automatically locks itself after a few seconds, so it certainly recognise that its connected. Has anyone else had the same issue?

I have the MG5 FL with a similar issue - sometimes it charges overnight following the scheduled charging times, and other times not, seems to be random. When I do plug the charger into the car, the car automatically locks itself after a few seconds, so it certainly recognise that its connected. Has anyone else had the same issue?
It should not lock itself just because you plugged in the charger. When it does that it’s likely you unlocked the car to open the charger port flap, and then the car locked itself as it’s the case if no door was opened
For the charging schedule to work, you must start the car first, then you can plug in and lock the car afterwards.

It should not lock itself just because you plugged in the charger. When it does that it’s likely you unlocked the car to open the charger port flap, and then the car locked itself as it’s the case if no door was opened
For the charging schedule to work, you must start the car first, then you can plug in and lock the car afterwards.
Thanks for replying, this is weird as this does work for me some of the time, when I simply unlock the car and plug in the cable, then let it autolock.
They seem to have made things overcomplicated for the typical use case.

So just to confirm, I need to unlock the car, get in and start the car, then get out and plug in the cable to the car and then lock it?
Thanks.

Thanks for replying, this is weird as this does work for me some of the time, when I simply unlock the car and plug in the cable, then let it autolock.
They seem to have made things overcomplicated for the typical use case.

So just to confirm, I need to unlock the car, get in and start the car, then get out and plug in the cable to the car and then lock it?
Thanks.
That's correct.
If you don't start the car in between unlocking and locking up again, only the "end time" of the scheduled charge settings will work. The "start time" will be ignored.

The silver lining is that the "unlock - plugin - lock" sequence, skipping the "start car" step, is a shortcut to the "start charge" button in the infotainment system/iSmart app.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 498 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back