Charging 10%-100% every 3-6 months

pecker

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Apologies in advance because I know this has been discussed before.

I'm currently running my SOC to around 10% so I can do the 10% - 100% charge and balance the battery, however I have an off peak tariff (5 hours) and don't think my car will get to 100% in that window.

The manual states this should be done every 3-6 months.

Is it ok to let it charge to whatever % it gets to in my charging window and then finish it off to 100% the next night ?

Otherwise I will be paying the higher electric rate getting it to 100% in one night.

Hope this makes sense,

Thanks

Andy

Last edited:
I've done that.
8% to 80% the first night and taken it to 100% plus balancing the following night. The balance charge took longer than before but I couldn't tell you if it's OK to do it that way.

yes absolutely no issue at all doing that, charge to whatever % you like routinely and once a month do a full balance charge. Don't over think it, just do what suits your routine and pop in a balance now and then, the battery management in the car will look after the battery for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
yes absolutely no issue at all doing that, charge to whatever % you like routinely and once a month do a full balance charge. Don't over think it, just do what suits your routine and pop in a balance now and then, the battery management in the car will look after the battery for you.

He's not talking about the once a month balance charge, he's talking about the full charge from <10% to 100% and balance that you're supposed to do every 3-6 months. I've wondered too whether you can pause that charge in the middle.

He's not talking about the once a month balance charge, he's talking about the full charge from <10% to 100% and balance that you're supposed to do every 3-6 months. I've wondered too whether you can pause that charge in the middle.

Yep, as you stated I'm doing the 10-100% charge and balance, car is currently on 22%, will hopefully charge it tonight but it won't reach 100% in my 5 hour window.

I don't honestly know the answer to that, but I do think that driving the car in the middle of the charge is likely to mess up the intended effect.

No problems but you will use a bit more electricity. The losses incurred in heating the battery (a by-product of charging) will happen twice. In the first instance, the battery is already warm for the last 20% of charge.

I don't honestly know the answer to that, but I do think that driving the car in the middle of the charge is likely to mess up the intended effect.

Who knows lol, I couldn’t find anything in the manual about running the charge down to 10% then fully charging so this could be all guess work.

Of course I may have missed it though

Had mine 4 months now. Only ever charged at home on an AC 7kW charger. I always charge to 100% and let it balance. Haven't yet managed to run it down to under 10% yet but I intend to do so as soon as possible. (Also intend to try a DC charger ASAP to make sure it works before I need it!).

I'm not sure if any SR has ever been unable to charge on DC, but I did check mine specifically after a software update last year, just in case.

Had mine 4 months now. Only ever charged at home on an AC 7kW charger. I always charge to 100% and let it balance. Haven't yet managed to run it down to under 10% yet but I intend to do so as soon as possible. (Also intend to try a DC charger ASAP to make sure it works before I need it!).

This will be my first 100% charge after 3 weeks of ownership.

I’m interested to hear how people others are completing this though.

One continuous charge or split over a couple of charges due to low energy tariffs

I can't be the only one that's thought of this or is it because I'm tight lol

Thanks

Last edited:
If you're just talking about a normal charge to 100% then leave the car to balance, it doesn't really matter. So long as it reaches 100% and starts to balance while you're still in your cheap tariff, don't worry about the cost of the electricity to balance because the car will be drawing much less power during that period.

If you're talking about the full <10% to 100% charge, I don't know because I don't have a variable tariff.

If you're just talking about a normal charge to 100% then leave the car to balance, it doesn't really matter. So long as it reaches 100% and starts to balance while you're still in your cheap tariff, don't worry about the cost of the electricity to balance because the car will be drawing much less power during that period.

If you're talking about the full <10% to 100% charge, I don't know because I don't have a variable tariff.

Yes the full 10% -100% charge, currently my car is on 10% and will start charging at 12pm for 5 hours in my off peak window

However it obviously won't get to 100% in 5 hours so I would need to complete the remaining charging the next day at 12pm.

I'm just trying to find out how other owners on off peak tariffs are completing the 10%-100% charging that needs to be done every 3-6 months.

If needed I will just start the charge at say 8pm but this will then cost significantly more.

Thanks

I’m going to just put it on charge now as the 10%-100% only needs to be done every 3-6 months.

Will try and find out in the mean time if I can split the charges over 2 nights

Last edited:
But what about using the car in the interim? I can imagine that simply interrupting the charge and resuming it when the cheap period comes back might be all right, but I could also imagine that driving the car during that period might NOT be all right.

I am almost certain that it doesn't matter if you break it up and/or drive in between.

The BMS simply needs to see the cell voltages when they are at 10% and at 100% (and presumably sampling in between). It is irrelevant how you get there - but if you never go down to 10% and never get up to 100%, then it cannot do its job.

I may be wrong but I can't see how.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 506 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel