Charging aborted ⚠️ - why?

richlove

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Has anybody else experienced this? Seem to get this fairly frequently when trying to initiate a charge. It's using a BP Pulse charger. I'm getting about a 70-80% success rate, the rest of the time it seems to begin charging then comes up with this message on the screen behind the steering wheel. No idea if it's being caused by the charger or the car.

I've found charging with the granny cable on destination chargers a bit hit-and-miss to get working. My current routine which works most of the time:
  • get out of the car
  • walk round open the flap to plug port
  • lock car
  • open boot
  • plug lead in charger, plug lead in car
  • initiate charge (mostly using the BP Pulse app, which is a bit hit and miss itself)
Yesterday, the lead got stuck in the BP Pulse charger as it didn't recognise the charge has started, so had no 'End charge' button. Ended up on the phone to BP customer service to get them to release it.

I'm reasonably tech savvy, I feel sorry for people who aren't so confident with this stuff that go through this kind of experience

I think he means a type 2 cable.

I have not used a low-power BP-Pulse charger but for Pod-Point chargers my routine is:

Exit car leaving it powered;
Plug cable into car;
Plug cable into charger;
Check for green charging lights;
Confirm charge using App;
Lock car;
Do shopping (charger at Tesco)

Has worked every time.

Granny cable on a destination charger? Granny cables go in 13A plugs and I don't think there's anything that can go wrong.
Sorry, meant Type 2. Typed 'type 2', deleted it then put granny cable 🤦🏽‍♂️

I have not used a low-power BP-Pulse charger but for Pod-Point chargers my routine is:

Exit car leaving it powered;
Plug cable into car;
Plug cable into charger;
Check for green charging lights;
Confirm charge using App;
Lock car;
Do shopping (charger at Tesco)

Has worked every time.
Thanks for this. I was under the impression, for some reason, that the car needs to be powered down before charging (especially with type 2). Obviously it doesn't, will try this next time

Thanks for this. I was under the impression, for some reason, that the car needs to be powered down before charging (especially with type 2). Obviously it doesn't, will try this next time
Some owners report powering down helps with recalcitrant chargers, others say it makes no difference - may depend on module software version differences between different cars.

There is a row of identical evolt labelled 22kw chargers at my work but two of them consistently fail to charge MG4s and ID3s but work with Tesla and Polestar models. Nobody knows why, not least the company (Egg) that fitted them. Nobody knows why the highest charge rate anybody gets, including Tesla owners, is 6.5kw either.

Are you expecting more than 6.5 kW from a 22kW charger? Or do you wonder why they only fitted a 7kW AC onboard charger on those cars?

There is a row of identical evolt labelled 22kw chargers at my work but two of them consistently fail to charge MG4s and ID3s but work with Tesla and Polestar models. Nobody knows why, not least the company (Egg) that fitted them. Nobody knows why the highest charge rate anybody gets, including Tesla owners, is 6.5kw either.
Single phase cable only?

the vehicle Onboard charger could be only 7kw and/or the cable being used is only single phase so basically divide the power by 3 if its a 3phase 22kw point.

On my SE phase 1 SR I do the following.
Pull up, and power down the car. I connect up and then go by the App of the chosen charger. I don't go near the car display nor the ismart app.
9¾/10 it works. Other ¼ I lock the car and try again. Always works then. Irony of being able to unlock car gets me and sit in while it charges makes me chuckle.

I always make sure the car is off and unlocked before initiating a charge.
At home I unlock the car and open and close a door to prevent it auto relocking after 30 seconds, this gives me plenty of time to unreel the cable from the Pod Point, go round and undo the charge flap and plug in. I then lock the car and go back in the house. It starts charging after a short while whether I lock it or not.
At the local Tesco's Pod Points, I pull up, get out and lock the car to turn it off, I then unlock the car and open and close a door to prevent it auto relocking again. I then open the boot and get my type 2 cable out, plug it in to the charger, then the car, then lock the car and confirm the charge on the Pod Point app.
These are the same routines I followed when I had the ZS ev and have worked 100% every time.
The only difference with the MG4 is making sure the car's SOC required is set to a 80% or 100% charge as required.

Last edited by a moderator:

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 505 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel