Charging in France

We went from Calais to the Alps in Spring.

We found the Ionity and Fastned motorway network to be very reliable (but expensive). You can download apps for both and input payment details in advance.

We used Chargemap to find chargers. I found the app to b frustrating to use (no easy way I could find to link the Chargemap charger location to Google Maps for navigation, so we went the wrong way a couple of times). However, their payment card was invaluable a couple of times because no other (contactless) payment card was accepted at these two chargers (unknown brand ones, located in a small town and a village). Also, Chargemap have an annoying habit of showing charge locations that are still being built! We thought we'd stop earlier than scheduled for a loo break, and do a top up at the same time but the one we went to (after a quick glace at Chargemap) had chargers installed but wasn't in service yet. Thankfully we were no desperate for a charge. Delving deeper into the charge location details did say it wasn't operational yet.

A friend is using ABRP for their trip and is finding it useful. I've not used it myself yet so can't comment further.

I strongly recommend going to charge locations that have more than one charger, even if they cost a little more. We went to two single chargepoint locations only to find they were out of service.

Many places also just accepted regular contactless payments.

The motorway signs show if there is EV charging at the service stations, but they use a generic sign for all chargers. We stopped after seeing a sign (before schedule again for a loo break (we had two small children in the car too!)) and found they were Tesla only machines. Again, thankfully we were not in dire need of a charge.

Remember that once you're on the motorway network your range is suddenly limited to just 60/70% charge (80->20/10%, and back up again).

I've no experience of using hook up cables at camp sites to charge, hope it goes smoothly for you.

Edit: Oops, just realised this is the hybrid forum! Didn't pay attention to where I was posting. I'm guessing the above info isn't of use for hybrid charging so apologies...

Last edited:
What is the maximum output I can attach my HS Phev to? There seem to be a lot of 22kw chargers in France. Will that damage my car? Sorry - I know I'm a bit thick!!!

What is the maximum output I can attach my HS Phev to? There seem to be a lot of 22kw chargers in France. Will that damage my car? Sorry - I know I'm a bit thick!!!
You can attach them to any Type 2 charger (with a Type 2 to Type 2 lead), but the on-board kit is limited to 3.6Kw, so that's the maximum. It takes about 4 hrs from flat compared to 6-ish with the supplied lead, which is 2.3Kw.

You can attach them to any Type 2 charger (with a Type 2 to Type 2 lead), but the on-board kit is limited to 3.6Kw, so that's the maximum. It takes about 4 hrs from flat compared to 6-ish with the supplied lead, which is 2.3Kw.
Okay that makes sense - thank you. So I can plug into a 22kw charger without damaging the car but it will only charge at 3.6? I've attached to a 7kw at Tesco without any probs.
Thanks again/ just got to sort out where I can charge in France now. Thank you all for all your input.

Okay that makes sense - thank you. So I can plug into a 22kw charger without damaging the car but it will only charge at 3.6? I've attached to a 7kw at Tesco without any probs.
Thanks again/ just got to sort out where I can charge in France now. Thank you all for all your input.
That is my understanding, and I think some of the high power charges are DC to DC, whereas the HS is AC to DC, which I think is inherent in 'Type 2'. The chargers you should avoid have different plugs.

I tend to use Electric Juice by Octopus 🐙 It works well on the continent. Other maps I have used are EVway, Plugshare and Chargemaps.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom