Charging in rain with granny charger. Any problems?

Scifly

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG HS PHEV
Is it ok to charge in the rain? Does rain gettting in around the car plug end or onto the charging unit cause any problems? I am using IP66 external wall socket with built in RCD so no problems there. Mostly concerned with rainwater splashing in and around the car plug end.

MG HS PHEV Trophy 2 weeks old

Just make sure that the plug and socket are kept dry the charge is water proof, I have charged for over two year with no problems but did buy a cover for the car charging opening to keep rain snow and frost off.

Just make sure that the plug and socket are kept dry the charge is water proof, I have charged for over two year with no problems but did buy a cover for the car charging opening to keep rain snow and frost off.
Where did you get the protective cover from please?

Is it ok to charge in the rain? Does rain gettting in around the car plug end or onto the charging unit cause any problems? I am using IP66 external wall socket with built in RCD so no problems there. Mostly concerned with rainwater splashing in and around the car plug end.

It is designed to be charged in the rain.
Torrential rain.

Just don't jet wash the socket whilst charging (or discharging)

No covers required.
Only if it makes you feel better.

I've been charging from the granny charger for a full year and never had any problems. I have an industrial extension cable from my utility building/garage at the back of the house all the way (30m) to the hedge at the front of the house. There's a double garden/waterproof socket on the end that I plug into.

There's been a few stress fractures around the plastic socket but I'll just replace it in the same housing this summer.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240323-121353.png
    Screenshot_20240323-121353.png
    773.6 KB · Views: 37
  • PXL_20230531_175213380~2.jpg
    PXL_20230531_175213380~2.jpg
    975.8 KB · Views: 35
I've been charging from the granny charger for a full year and never had any problems. I have an industrial extension cable from my utility building/garage at the back of the house all the way (30m) to the hedge at the front of the house. There's a double garden/waterproof socket on the end that I plug into.

There's been a few stress fractures around the plastic socket but I'll just replace it in the same housing this summer.
Thanks for the image, i had the same idea to add a crosswalk protection but too bad this is strictly forbidden in the Netherlands. And the housing association don't allow charging EVs from your home as well.

Same no issues

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom