GM87

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE LR
Hi All, a weird one I have encountered this week. My MG4 charges at the standard 7kW on my domestic charger and until recently was charging at the standard 7kW at the chargers at work. For some reason the car is only charging at 3kW now at work but still 7kW at home. I am the only EV this is affecting. I have swapped charging leads but the speed has stayed at 3kW. Other cars are charging at between 3-7kW. When I try other chargers at supermarkets & in garages I am not encountering any issues. Just at the work charger! Has anyone ever encountered something like this before?

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the group.

Is another car using the same charging point?
If so then the supply will be shared between you.

PS. You might be better posting this question in the general MG4 forum and not the Upgrades and Accessories sub-forum 😁

Welcome to the group.

Is another car using the same charging point?
If so then the supply will be shared between you.

PS. You might be better posting this question in the general MG4 forum and not the Upgrades and Accessories sub-forum 😁
Hi Ian,

Thaks for that. I will post to the main group.

No, I am the only one using the charge point. A real mystery!

Hi All, a weird one I have encountered this week. My MG4 charges at the standard 7kW on my domestic charger and until recently was charging at the standard 7kW at the chargers at work. For some reason the car is only charging at 3kW now at work but still 7kW at home. I am the only EV this is affecting. I have swapped charging leads but the speed has stayed at 3kW. Other cars are charging at between 3-7kW. When I try other chargers at supermarkets & in garages I am not encountering any issues. Just at the work charger! Has anyone ever encountered something like this before?
We have encountered the same problem this week. Any leads to this problem please?

We have encountered the same problem this week. Any leads to this problem please?
Perhaps your work's supply is only 7kW shared between two or more chargers and when they are in use the supply is divided between them.
If only one car is charging it will get the full 7kW but if two of you are charging you will get 3 kW each.

Hi All, I’ve left the car overnight at work to see if sharing the charger was the issue and it wasn’t, it still only drew 3kw. Interestingly another owner of a MG4 is experiencing the same issue today. Both MG4s are charging at 3.2kw and used to charge at over 6kw. Does anyone know if there was a potential software update that may be causing the issue? Both cars are set for max charge on the dashboard and were both plugged in with batteries less than 30% charged. All other EVs are charging normally at over 6kw.

Is it a 3 phase supply? if so might be a 11ish KW supply and just taking drawing 1 phase as most MG4 are single phase

Hi All, I’ve left the car overnight at work to see if sharing the charger was the issue and it wasn’t, it still only drew 3kw. Interestingly another owner of a MG4 is experiencing the same issue today. Both MG4s are charging at 3.2kw and used to charge at over 6kw. Does anyone know if there was a potential software update that may be causing the issue? Both cars are set for max charge on the dashboard and were both plugged in with batteries less than 30% charged. All other EVs are charging normally at over 6kw.
Mine is refusing to charge for more than 10 minutes on AC. Going to have to get it booked in no doubt……

Mine is refusing to charge for more than 10 minutes on AC. Going to have to get it booked in no doubt……
My MG4 has just started having this problem in the last couple of months. Charging with DC (expensive) public chargers is fine, but using my home (7kW) charger or the granny lead, both stop charging a few minutes after being connected. They connect fine and start charging, but then switch off again in a few minutes. There is nothing wrong with either home charger as my wife's Zoe charges normally on both, so the problem must be connected to the car. It is going into the Dealer's workshop tomorrow morning for an issue regarding the reporting of 12v battery problems (warning light keeps coming on), and is going to be checked for the charging issue at the same time.

I need this fixed as soo as possible, as I have two Tesla home batteries here which are mainly charged from solar (the rest from off peak energy), which we then use to charge the cars at minimal or no cost, while charging costs at public chargers is astronomical. ☹️

This all sounds like more examples of the problem in this thread. I'm reluctant to merge the threads if we're not sure, but have a read.

Replacement CCUs all round I suspect.

This all sounds like more examples of the problem in this thread. I'm reluctant to merge the threads if we're not sure, but have a read.
@Rolfe you may be correct, but I am not sure at this time. Hopefully I will know better after the car has been in the workshop tomorrow. I have read most of the "Zappi" thread and there certainly seems to be similarities which may come down to the CCU. However, as that thread mentions Zappi's I would not necessarily automatically have headed towards that to inform me on my issue, but because this particular thread is headed a nice and simple "Charging Issues", it did grab my interest straight off!

@Rolfe as @Ejaydee says - it might be worth changing the title of the other thread to something like 'Early Long Range Model AC charging issues' so it's clear as to what it is about (might even be worth a sticky?)

@Rolfe as @Ejaydee says - it might be worth changing the title of the other thread to something like 'Early Long Range Model AC charging issues' so it's clear as to what it is about (might even be worth a sticky?)
I have updated the thread title and edited my first post in that thread, so it’s easier for other members to find if they encounter the same issue. 👍

I've just had a new consumer unit (fuse box) installed complete with surge protection as now advised by the latest regulations.
I'm wondering if there was a spike in the power grid that's caused the CCUs to become faulty especially as it seems a random occurrence.

@Rolfe you may be correct, but I am not sure at this time. Hopefully I will know better after the car has been in the workshop tomorrow. I have read most of the "Zappi" thread and there certainly seems to be similarities which may come down to the CCU. However, as that thread mentions Zappi's I would not necessarily automatically have headed towards that to inform me on my issue, but because this particular thread is headed a nice and simple "Charging Issues", it did grab my interest straight off!

Update on this, and yes it is going to have to be a new CCU. The dealership does not yet know when the job can be done, but at least for the now, the car charges ok on the local Shell 175kW chargers (even though it is very expensive :cry:)

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 493 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back