Charging MG4 Trophy LR, how much do you get at home in 4 hrs?

We are on this tariff and het about 10% battery charge per hour (so 40% charge over the 4 hour, cheap period). This is fine for us as we rarely do over 40% in a day.

seems people make the answer more complicated than necessary, simple maths, the KW you are pumping in multiplied by the hours on charge = the total charge given. Therefore rounding off the figures for simplicity, a 7kw charger charging for 10hours will give 70KW, if you have a 70kw battery thats 100%, 5 hours gives 35 KW or 50%. A granny charger gives around 2.2kw, at 10 hours = 22KW , just under 30%.

Can anyone tell me and the OP what I get for the extra £250 please?
I got the Zappi installed in October and so far on IO Go it has been perfect. Get home add how much to add and by what time, plug in and it's ready.

Chose the Zappi as I wanted one that uses WiFi rather than mobile network as we have very poor mobile network coverage, so didn't want any issues regarding connectivity.

My electrician that installed it also said that the after sales support with Zappi is excellent, so for peace of mind that's what we went for.

We add just over 40 kWh's in our 6-hour Octopus cheap rate window, so around 27 kWh in 4 hours using our PodPoint Solo charger. MG app indicates a charge speed of around 6.7kW.

In terms of chargers, we have an EaseeOne charger which is restricted to 3.6kW and a Podpoint Solo which runs at maximum single-phase supply of 7.2kW. I would recommend both of these units.

MODS !! - This first post on this second page is a repeat of page 1 !!!!
Looks like a bug in the forum software. Note that the spurious first post at the top of the page is ABOVE the Prev 1 2 selection - normally this is at the top.

I haven't seen this on other multi-page threads.

I've only used sunshine to charge my Trophy LR since I got it a year ago, I'm retired so not huge journeys, a few 120 mile round trips over Christmas etc. Usual use about thirty miles per day. Today (6th January 2024) my solar panels and house battery charger the car up from 39 to 62%. If we get the same amount of sunshine 🌞tomorrow then another FOUR hours will get the car and house battery up to 100% each, car charged via Zappi2. My annual mileage is around five thousand miles per annum but a wonderful feeling when it's all been done on sunshine.

It is less than that due to losses - 7kW charger will deliver perhaps 6.4kW to the car. We get around 40% in 4 hours on our LR Trophy.
Also the MY22 LR are 7kW capable at single phase, MY23 LR are only 6.6 capable at single phase.

I charged last night using my Zappi 7kwh charger via intelligent octopus go tariff. Charge started at 11:30pm, ended at 6am (there was a pause for around 1hr) and managed to get 31.01kwh.

Yep I have Octopus Go and it was 39% for me Intelligent Octopus would be better if they ever plan to support the MG!?
Or weigh up the pros and cons of changing your evse to a supported one.

As that's what I'm looking at, changing my pod point solo to either an ohme wood or Wallbox Pulsar

Edit:

Should add in a qualified electrician and have done the installer courses for podpoint ohme and wallbox so for me it's literally just the cost of the unit opposed to having to pay someone swap them over

Last edited:
So I am also looking at which 7kW charger to go with at home. I have solar panels (PV) so would also like to benefit from charging from them when I need to. I am looking at the Octopus Intelligent Go which would suit my EV charging and household appliance needs.
I see above that Octopus Intelligent Go works well with a Zappi and PV. My googling also brings up
Wallbox Pulsar Max which is some £250 cheaper than the Zappi. Both of these appear to be compatible with Octopus Intelligent Go and PV.
If you go on to Octopus Intelligent Go you’re better off charging overnight at 7.5p per kWh and exporting surplus solar at 15p per kWh during the day.

So I am also looking at which 7kW charger to go with at home. I have solar panels (PV) so would also like to benefit from charging from them when I need to. I am looking at the Octopus Intelligent Go which would suit my EV charging and household appliance needs.
I see above that Octopus Intelligent Go works well with a Zappi and PV. My googling also brings up
Wallbox Pulsar Max which is some £250 cheaper than the Zappi. Both of these appear to be compatible with Octopus Intelligent Go and PV.
The wallbox pulsar you need to buy a separate MID meter and CT for solar usage where as in the Zappi it's built in and included already

I've gone with the Ohme on Octopus will get the Intelligent when it's installed. After the Grant it'll cost me £649 and that's with a non std install as we turned our car port into a room, so the Cable will have to go through that.

All of this was arranged through Octopus and they deal with the grant for you. Just one form to apply and it's done. Hopefully it'll be installed in about 8 weeks.

Until then it's 1.8 kW charge on our std outside socket.

Last edited by a moderator:

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 503 79.5%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel