Grahamjack52

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Am planning a longish journey south from Scotland. I notice at Abington sevices they have 150kW and 100kW chargers. Can these be used with my MG zs ?. Not sure if 50kW is maximum permitted.
Regards
Graham

Last edited by a moderator:
Highest I’ve seen on my Mk2 topped out at 82kW. As others have said, whether the charger is rated to 50/100/350/420kW doesn’t matter, the car decides what it’ll take (and that number can and does vary over the charging time).

What you actually get depends on a number of factors I’m afraid.

Switching battery heating on around 20 minutes before rapid charging will improve the charging speed.
Never seen more than 86kW on my MK2.

I have tried Tesla super charger and also shell with 100kw but my car charged only on 28kw… not sure why?

Hmmmm on the fast charger right now only charging 34 kw .... so slow turend on the traction heat it makes no diffrence... only 8 degrees. Hate it

Pulling 34 kw you are on a so called rapid unit 🤣.
Preheating the pack BEFORE you reach the charger is intended to increase the charging speed.
Are you sharing the unit with another EV that is charging ?.
If so, what speed is the other EV getting.
Sharing could explain the lower charging rate.
A few of the early rapids have low charging speeds unfortunately, it’s usually a grid thing rather than the unit itself.

The unit was upto 350 kw 🤣i was the only one. I will check again tomorrow... 🤔😚

Ok the battery was 20 procent, i had a ride of 1 hr with preheating.... now it started at 35 kw the top is 37 kw my god. The charer max is 175 i om the only one here... dont know what is wrong

Just thought I'd check if anyone else is suffering from slow charging on a rapid. I've use two rapids this morning, an Instavolt and. Gridserve. Both topped out at 36KW. I turned on traction battery conditioning well before arriving at the Gridserve.

There's definitely a problem somewhere. I have seen better speeds before now.

Hmmmm on the fast charger right now only charging 34 kw .... so slow turend on the traction heat it makes no diffrence... only 8 degrees. Hate it

Pulling 34 kw you are on a so called rapid unit 🤣.
Preheating the pack BEFORE you reach the charger is intended to increase the charging speed.
Are you sharing the unit with another EV that is charging ?.
If so, what speed is the other EV getting.
Sharing could explain the lower charging rate.
A few of the early rapids have low charging speeds unfortunately, it’s usually a grid thing rather than the unit itself.

The unit was upto 350 kw 🤣i was the only one. I will check again tomorrow... 🤔😚

Ok the battery was 20 procent, i had a ride of 1 hr with preheating.... now it started at 35 kw the top is 37 kw my god. The charer max is 175 i om the only one here... dont know what is wrong

Just thought I'd check if anyone else is suffering from slow charging on a rapid. I've use two rapids this morning, an Instavolt and. Gridserve. Both topped out at 36KW. I turned on traction battery conditioning well before arriving at the Gridserve.

There's definitely a problem somewhere. I have seen better speeds before now.
Numerous threads on this but covered fairly extensively here Max rapid charge rate

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom