Charging Problem

I have a black one broken down on chargers twice. If they give me some sh*tty excuse do you want it? LR trophy with 300 miles
What do you mean broken down on chargers? There is a charging issue and MG are delaying repairs/are giving you excuses?

What do you mean broken down on chargers? There is a charging issue and MG are delaying repairs/are giving you excuses?
So we had it 12 miles drove to a rapid charger and it bricked the car.

They couldn’t find an issue or tell me what happened. Swapped 12v battery and it worked

Drove it for a week

Used a rapid charger same make and company was fine. Used another at another location and bricked the car again

They been told to sort it and before we accept it that it’s going back to the same charger it bricked it and testing it.

I’m not spending days of my life getting stuck at a charger and waiting for recovery to lift it and delivery it the next day when they can’t stick to their times

If it’s the car I want a new one. If it’s the ZS in general I want a refund and buying a Tesla.

I have a black one broken down on chargers twice. If they give me some sh*tty excuse do you want it? LR trophy with 300 miles
I'm intrigued why at only 300 miles you've rapid charged 3 times?

Are you trying to rapid charge at high state of charge? That has been know to cause issues in the past across lots of EV brands including Tesla.

Is that the charging issue MG dealers are warning us about ? My dealer told me I can use a super charger but do not turn on the car while charging or the car will brick. I can do it on a regular charger but not a supercharger. This issue has been adressed to MG apparently but there is no update for the moment.

You have to turn the car own to release the charge cable using the button on charging screen?
On both of the superchargers i tried on my car, i was able to stop the charge, directly on the charger (Or app/website)

I would imagine that it is mainly if you fire up the car, while it is still charging this is a problem, so if you stop the charging before you turn on the car, the problem with the release is probably not that big of an issue.

That being said, this is offcourse something they need to adress, it is not acceptable that i am unable to start a charge and then turn on the car to listen to the radio for example.

Just hoping, this is one of the things they will be able to do OTA... I bet they do to, as it will be a LOT cheaper if they can just push an update instead of having to recall all sold cars to their garage and pay technitians to do the upgrade.

I wouldn't bother using a rapid above 80% even just to try it out the charge rate will very low.
When I got my MG5 I tried a few rapids but from under 50% just to see how high a charge rate is possible.

Thanks for the info. Have only tried 7kw Podpoint charger at Tesco and had to turn the car on to disconnect as could not see an option to stop the charge on the app. Staying clear of rapid chargers until the update.

Yeah the free tesco ones justed need to be confirm on the app then stop it by unlocking the car or lock then unlock it a couple of times to release the cable from the car

Thanks for the info. Have only tried 7kw Podpoint charger at Tesco and had to turn the car on to disconnect as could not see an option to stop the charge on the app. Staying clear of rapid chargers until the update.
If you press the battery on the app it puts you into a new screen with an option to start/stop Charge

Attachments

• 40BC1666-A082-4CBB-A1B4-31458409565A.png
    40BC1666-A082-4CBB-A1B4-31458409565A.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 132
  • 061EB03B-925C-414F-A81E-DAE66A3A7ED9.png
    061EB03B-925C-414F-A81E-DAE66A3A7ED9.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 134
My dealer told me I can use a super charger but do not turn on the car while charging or the car will brick.
Can I just clarify something please.
When they say do not boot up the car while rapid charging.
Are we talking "Fully Booting" up the car into the "READY" drive condition ( pressure placed on the foot brake ).
Or, are we talking put the the car into the "STANDBY" mode ( NO pressure applied to the foot brake ).
There is a big difference between these two modes.
The standby mode will give you access to the 12 volt system to power the radio etc, but the fully booted "READY" mode will active the contactors of the HV battery.
Now I COULD see this being a problem, if you tried to fully boot into READY mode while still receiving a charge from a rapid.
Stopping the car from receiving a charge from the rapid, then booting into READY mode has to be the best option ???.
I have not used a rapid charger myself yet !.

Can't speak for the ZS but I thought it may be worth mentioning that on the MG5 it is recommended to put the vehicle into ready mode whilst rapid charging, if you want to use the heater or air conditioning etc.

Even though in ready mode, the vehicle won't let you drive it as the charger is connected so no issues there.

Now I'd have thought that MG would have still allows this on the ZS to be honest, so am interested to see if that's the case 🙂

Can't speak for the ZS but I thought it may be worth mentioning that on the MG5 it is recommended to put the vehicle into ready mode whilst rapid charging, if you want to use the heater or air conditioning etc.

Even though in ready mode, the vehicle won't let you drive it as the charger is connected so no issues there.

Now I'd have thought that MG would have still allows this on the ZS to be honest, so am interested to see if that's the case 🙂

It says as much in the ZS manual. I had mine in Ready mode on a rapid for an hour the other day with no ill effects. Could be an issue going into that mode while the car is initiating the charge though. I don't fancy trying that.

In fact judging by a few other posts not being in ready mode but using the 12v system could be more of an issue as a low 12v battery has been known to cause the same error.

Can I just clarify something please.
When they say do not boot up the car while rapid charging.
Are we talking "Fully Booting" up the car into the "READY" drive condition ( pressure placed on the foot brake ).
Or, are we talking put the the car into the "STANDBY" mode ( NO pressure applied to the foot brake ).
There is a big difference between these two modes.
The standby mode will give you access to the 12 volt system to power the radio etc, but the fully booted "READY" mode will active the contactors of the HV battery.
Now I COULD see this being a problem, if you tried to fully boot into READY mode while still receiving a charge from a rapid.
Stopping the car from receiving a charge from the rapid, then booting into READY mode has to be the best option ???.
I have not used a rapid charger myself yet !.
I really wish I know. I never use rapid charger (700km) but when i will, i'll turn off the car, plug it and go back in 1 hour or so.

It says as much in the ZS manual. I had mine in Ready mode on a rapid for an hour the other day with no ill effects. Could be an issue going into that mode while the car is initiating the charge though. I don't fancy trying that.

In fact judging by a few other posts not being in ready mode but using the 12v system could be more of an issue as a low 12v battery has been known to cause the same error.
How much charge did your get in being on a rapid for an hour?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom