Charging questions and Zappi wall charger questions

As you are getting the LR you can set 80% in the car, or app. If it was the SR you cannot set either (and there is nothing to really be gained as the SR is an LPF battery that has no problem being charged to 100% every time). .
Not strictly true... LFP Battery will still degrade faster if you charger to 100% all the time (the manual afterall makes no distinction between the two chemistries in its advice), it just stands up to full charges better than cobalt based batteries. The reason for the 100% is due to the fact the SoC more difficult to reliably calculate on the LFP battery so 100% is encouraged to get consistent SoC readings.

Thank you, it is a long range trophy I am getting. There is a a few say they have had problems with scheduling charges in the car so was going to use the Zappi app for charging. I just couldn’t see where you could set the limit to 80% in the Zappi app.

When I had the installation of the Zappi the installer gave me what was in the box which didn’t really have any user manual it was really just the installation instructions.

He gave me a very quick demo but I didn’t have the car and he didn’t really go into any depth and certainly nothing on the Zappi app.

I have a bit to learn but once I have done a couple of charges using solar settings and a couple of scheduled charges I hopefully will be into it.

I have managed to find some useful manuals and information from the web but couldn’t see anything on explaining how you set the charging limits within the Zappi app. I was aware you could set the limits on the infotainment screen in the car but wanted to know that would transfer to the Zappi when charging.
That’s strange…I had my Zappi 2 installed by Octopus - a long story - but it was delivered in advance, directly from myenergy.
It had quite a comprehensive booklet style manual with all the info on firmware updating, locking the unit with a pin, what the various settings did etc,.
is there not one online?

Thank you, it is a long range trophy I am getting. There is a a few say they have had problems with scheduling charges in the car so was going to use the Zappi app for charging. I just couldn’t see where you could set the limit to 80% in the Zappi app.
You cant set a charging limit within Zappi (or any other AC charger for that matter), you can set the rate of charge and the timer to schedule it.

When I had the installation of the Zappi the installer gave me what was in the box which didn’t really have any user manual it was really just the installation instructions.
On line manuals from MyEnergi
https://www.myenergi.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/06/Zappi-2-Full-Manual-V1_6_2-2.pdf

He gave me a very quick demo but I didn’t have the car and he didn’t really go into any depth and certainly nothing on the Zappi app.
Zappi App is very intuitive and has built in help covering most things eg charging mode Fast, Eco, Eco+ etc.

I have a bit to learn but once I have done a couple of charges using solar settings and a couple of scheduled charges I hopefully will be into it.
Eco+ mode to work with your solar PV, I set my green level to 100%, by doing this it will only initiate charging when there is 1.4 kW or more of surplus energy (i.e. energy being exported). The scheduled timers always overide any of the green setting if you set 00:30 to 04:30 for GO as an example, the car will always charge at those times.

I have managed to find some useful manuals and information from the web but couldn’t see anything on explaining how you set the charging limits within the Zappi app. I was aware you could set the limits on the infotainment screen in the car but wanted to know that would transfer to the Zappi when charging.
You wont be able to set charge limits in any AC charger, the communications between vehicle and wallbox doesn't have that information. You really need to set the charge limit in the car if it has that parameter available.

You cant set a charging limit within Zappi (or any other AC charger for that matter), you can set the rate of charge and the timer to schedule it.

On line manuals from MyEnergi
https://www.myenergi.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/06/Zappi-2-Full-Manual-V1_6_2-2.pdf

Zappi App is very intuitive and has built in help covering most things eg charging mode Fast, Eco, Eco+ etc.

Eco+ mode to work with your solar PV, I set my green level to 100%, by doing this it will only initiate charging when there is 1.4 kW or more of surplus energy (i.e. energy being exported). The scheduled timers always overide any of the green setting if you set 00:30 to 04:30 for GO as an example, the car will always charge at those times.

You wont be able to set charge limits in any AC charger, the communications between vehicle and wallbox doesn't have that information. You really need to set the charge limit in the car if it has that parameter available.
Yes I understand all that, even before I started messing with the Zappi I had the car set up to charge to 80%. I had picked that up off Burl Solomons on YouTube. Setting it in the car to 100% if intending doing a long journey and balance charging.

How often would you suggest that you do these balance charges is it once a month?

How often would you suggest that you do these balance charges is it once a month?
All that happens when you balance the cells is they're all brought to the exact same level of charge. When the cells are out of balance, a single cell that has a higher voltage than the rest can stop the charge before the other cells are full. Conversely, a cell with a lower voltage can halt the discharge before the other cells are discharged. The effect is your battery capacity is reduced. Charging to 100% will make the BMS do it's balancing process, discharging the cells with the highest voltage into the cells with the lowest voltage. It's really not important to stick to a rigid schedule, if you occasionally do a long trip, charge it to 100% before that. Certainly once per month is fine.

All that happens when you balance the cells is they're all brought to the exact same level of charge. When the cells are out of balance, a single cell that has a higher voltage than the rest can stop the charge before the other cells are full. Conversely, a cell with a lower voltage can halt the discharge before the other cells are discharged. The effect is your battery capacity is reduced. Charging to 100% will make the BMS do its balancing process, discharging the cells with the highest voltage into the cells with the lowest voltage. It's really not important to stick to a rigid schedule, if you occasionally do a long trip, charge it to 100% before that. Certainly once per month is fine.
Thank you 👍

Unfortunately unless you have the charging unit on a specific timer it will generally charge to 100%; you can’t set it to 80% and shut off.
I have a zs trophy connect gen 2.
And I can sent the charge rate from the phone app. I normally charge to 90%. but If I'm planning to do a long drive I charge to 100%.
Once a month I set my charge to 100% and leave it to charge to equalise the battery.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom