Charging questions and Zappi wall charger questions

That’s strange as it does it on mine, car is powered off, doors locked from the inside, push the brake pedal down and the red brake light come up on the dash and so does the charging status on the middle screen.
Can someone else try this and see if their car does it or doesn’t?.
Would you be able to share a photo of what the dash looks like when you do the brake pedal thing?

That’s strange as it does it on mine, car is powered off, doors locked from the inside, push the brake pedal down and the red brake light come up on the dash and so does the charging status on the middle screen.
Can someone else try this and see if their car does it or doesn’t?.
I didn't have the doors locked, maybe that's it, I will check next time.

It shows that when rapid charging. It gives a time if on a fast or granny charger.
I will try and notice next time, I haven't sat in the car when charging on fast. So many things for a newbie to learn. :)

A simple solution for those not looking to install something like zappi will be a Smart Plug like the one in link below :

Setup this smart plug which has 'timer' functionality and it also shows how much energy was pulled through it and there is a smart phone app (uses home wi-fi) which you can use to control timer/On/Off and see energy consumption etc. Just connect your Granny charger plug to this Smart Plug.

Smart Plug WiFi Socket Aoycocr Mini Outlet Work with Alexa, Google Home, APP Romote Control, Schedule Timer & Energy Monitor Smart Socket Alexa Plug, No Hub Required, 13A, 2.4Gzh Only, 1 Pack: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

drawback : It won't give you the 7kWh that zappi might !!

I don't think it is possible to do the following with that screen:

1. Set the charging start time.
2. Set the required State of Charge.
3. Set the required charging power / current.

This functionality should be provided in all EVs, in my view.
Hi John The functions you mention can be set on most smart home chargers nowadays.

If your sitting in the car while it’s charging you can just push the brake pedal and the charging screen will come on for a brief moment too.
I tried that whilst rapid charging today and nothing came up on the charging screen although I didn't have the doors locked. Will try locking the doors next time and see. I did manage to get a 35kW rate consistently from 3 different units today at 12 degrees outside temperature. The first unit was an Ultra and I was down to the first warning at one bar and 33 miles remaining (25%) hoping to start at > than 50kW rate according to the Fastned graph I have seen but spot on 35kW right from the start. Will try again from nearer to empty but how low do I need to go?

I tried that whilst rapid charging today and nothing came up on the charging screen although I didn't have the doors locked. Will try locking the doors next time and see. I did manage to get a 35kW rate consistently from 3 different units today at 12 degrees outside temperature. The first unit was an Ultra and I was down to the first warning at one bar and 33 miles remaining (25%) hoping to start at > than 50kW rate according to the Fastned graph I have seen but spot on 35kW right from the start. Will try again from nearer to empty but how low do I need to go?
As low as you dare! The lower the better.

Not difficult to work out approximate state of charge from remaining range and set the charge accordingly, either timed (at 7kW) or kWh added. As mentioned above, keeping between 20% and 80% is recommended together with an occasional full charge, maybe to coincide with a long run, to re-balance cells although this is less of an issue unless you frequently use rapid chargers. Remember to allow plenty of time for cell balancing as this can take a few hours at around 300W input. Zappi eco mode at 1.3kW (rather than eco+) is good for this and can be combined with an overnight boost at 7kW if you get cheap off-peak rates and/or need more of a charge.

Hi All
I've had my ZS EV for 12 months. I have 12 solar panels. I had a Rolex charger for my Outlander. 8 changed to the Excellent Zappi charger and Mienergy hub which is all I need or wish for. I use Octopus in the UK , with cheap rate between 20:30 and 01:30 and comfortably charges the car to 170 miles (about 32kW hrs) at approx £1.50 per charge.
The Zappi allows timed charging and can vary the rate fro m as little as 1.4 to 7.4 kW hrs depending on sun etc. The dealers tweaked the software' a week after I had the car to stop the car "going to sleep and not responding to the start charge signal".
I thoughly recommend the Zappi.
Redpiratepete.

If the advice that seems to be to charge the trophy to 80% unless balancing the cells or going on a long journey. How do you set the car to 80%.

I can’t see anything specific on the Zappi. I was intending charging using excess solar along with some scheduled charging at cheaper rates once I get swapped over to Octopus Go.

So do you set the limit in the car and then does the Zappi talk to the car and the car then says to the Zappi that yes charge me but stop at 80%.

I have the Zappi installed but I don’t get the car till Friday so I am trying to get my head around the charging in advance.

If it's a long range Trophy, you can set the charging level in the car or on the app. If it's a standard range, you can't, it's 100% or nothing.

If it's a long range Trophy, you can set the charging level in the car or on the app. If it's a standard range, you can't, it's 100% or nothing.
Thank you, it is a long range trophy I am getting. There is a a few say they have had problems with scheduling charges in the car so was going to use the Zappi app for charging. I just couldn’t see where you could set the limit to 80% in the Zappi app.

When I had the installation of the Zappi the installer gave me what was in the box which didn’t really have any user manual it was really just the installation instructions.

He gave me a very quick demo but I didn’t have the car and he didn’t really go into any depth and certainly nothing on the Zappi app.

I have a bit to learn but once I have done a couple of charges using solar settings and a couple of scheduled charges I hopefully will be into it.

I have managed to find some useful manuals and information from the web but couldn’t see anything on explaining how you set the charging limits within the Zappi app. I was aware you could set the limits on the infotainment screen in the car but wanted to know that would transfer to the Zappi when charging.

Thank you, it is a long range trophy I am getting. There is a a few say they have had problems with scheduling charges in the car so was going to use the Zappi app for charging. I just couldn’t see where you could set the limit to 80% in the Zappi app.

When I had the installation of the Zappi the installer gave me what was in the box which didn’t really have any user manual it was really just the installation instructions.

He gave me a very quick demo but I didn’t have the car and he didn’t really go into any depth and certainly nothing on the Zappi app.

I have a bit to learn but once I have done a couple of charges using solar settings and a couple of scheduled charges I hopefully will be into it.

I have managed to find some useful manuals and information from the web but couldn’t see anything on explaining how you set the charging limits within the Zappi app. I was aware you could set the limits on the infotainment screen in the car but wanted to know that would transfer to the Zappi when charging.
As you are getting the LR you can set 80% in the car, or app. If it was the SR you cannot set either (and there is nothing to really be gained as the SR is an LPF battery that has no problem being charged to 100% every time). You cannot set the 80% limit in the Zappi, only in the car or app. You can set the timer in the Zappi if required, or set it to use the electricity from solar panels, or a mixture of solar panel backed up by the grid if the solar input drops below that required by the car or zappi settings.
If you search the site using "zappi" (search function is top right) you will get all the info you need...and more.

As you are getting the LR you can set 80% in the car, or app. If it was the SR you cannot set either (and there is nothing to really be gained as the SR is an LPF battery that has no problem being charged to 100% every time). You cannot set the 80% limit in the Zappi, only in the car or app. You can set the timer in the Zappi if required, or set it to use the electricity from solar panels, or a mixture of solar panel backed up by the grid if the solar input drops below that required by the car or zappi settings.
If you search the site using "zappi" (search function is top right) you will get all the info you need...and more.
Thank you, you have been very helpful. Hopefully it will be a Sunny day on Friday when I pick the car up and then I can have a go with the Zappi when I get back home.

Thank you, you have been very helpful. Hopefully it will be a Sunny day on Friday when I pick the car up and then I can have a go with the Zappi when I get back home.
I would say that I have had my LR for nearly a year and it has turned out to be the perfect car for me, still surprises at how good it is. I have also had a Zappi before. You will quickly get to grips with things and charging just becomes a background thing. The pleasure of driving it will outlast :). This site will be a mine of info for you, perhaps check up on"Battery Balancing" will also help

Enjoy your car, I find it great value for the money and thouroughly enjoy driving it. Is it your first EV?

Enjoy your car, I find it great value for the money and thouroughly enjoy driving it. Is it your first EV?
Yes it is and my first automatic. I went for a test drive Monday just gone. I didn’t know what to do with my left foot lol.

I would have picked it up Friday 2 days ago had I not picked up a flying stone that cracked my windscreen on the M62 on the way over to do a test drive.

My car is going in as part exchange and they have said that I will need to get the screen replaced before I can exchange. I contacted the insurance and couldn’t get a date till this coming Wednesday. So I will be then going over this Friday to do the exchange and the drive back.

Apologies to you it’s a MG4 long range trophy I am getting. I have drifted here through a google search for information on the Zappi. I am a member on the MG4 forum but still the information you have shared won’t be any different to the MG4 Trophy I am sure.

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom