Charging Socket Lights

AlfC

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE LR
The lights in our MG4 charging socket are red. I have a recollection they used to be blue. Am I dreaming or are our lights an odd colour? If they did change colour I think it may have coincided with getting the tow ball fitted which would have involved fiddling with the electrics.

Attachments

• IMG_0556.jpeg
    IMG_0556.jpeg
    323.7 KB · Views: 63
They are normally blue, or green. Green when charging. Then two shades of blue depending on whether cable is locked to port or not.

I'm impressed with red, you've clearly upset it ;)

The lights probably need a reboot, mine stopped working altogether, although that did not affect charging. There's a thread here with instructions on what you can do to get them working normally again.

The lights probably need a reboot, mine stopped working altogether, although that did not affect charging. There's a thread here with instructions on what you can do to get them working normally again.
Yes, I had the same problem without any lights but charging was still good, (my lights actually stopped working after the first time I charged my car, but I didn’t realise until months later that the lights weren’t working, lol) some members told me it was probably a fuse.
I just left it until its first service and told the dealer about the charge port light, and it turned out to be a faulty charge port, they’ve to ordered an new one, think I waited a month for the part.

The lights are lit clockwise indicating the level of charge, 25% per segment. You have the 2 bottom ones only lit which is not right.

What happens when you are charging the car?
I think they flash green then go off but the charging works normally - no problem with that at all.

Red lights on a charging port, usually denotes a charging fault.
Have you tried charging the car ???.
Yes charging is fine. It seems to be just the lights that are abnormal.

yes I had the same problem without any lights but charging was still good,( my lights actually stopped working after the first time I charge my car, but I didn’t realised until months later that the lights weren’t working, lol) some members told me it was probably a fuse.
I just left it until it’s first service and told the dealer about the charge port light, and it tuned out to be a faulty charge port, they’ve to ordered an new one, think I waited a month for the part.
Looks like mine might be the same then. I might go back to the dealer sooner rather than later (service not due til March). I don't want to find the charge port stops working altogether.

Thanks for replies everyone. Looks like I definitely have a fault somewhere. I will ask the dealer to look into it in January

Worth trying, have you tried disconnecting the negative terminal (10 mm spanner required) on the 12 volt battery, leave disconnected for 15 minutes, then reconnect and retighten.
This will reset the whole 12 volt system.

Read this thread before you do anything:
Thanks. I have read through this thread and it seems to be worth a try (although my lights have changed colour and not gone out completely so could be a different issue). The consensus seems to be to try disconnecting the negative terminal on the battery first, as recommended by Lovemyev above, and leave for a short while before reconnecting. That's pretty easy but what about the 're-calibration of steering and windows' referred to as necessary afterwards? Perhaps that is mentioned in the manual.

Read this thread before you do anything:
Thanks. I have read through this thread and it seems to be worth a try (although my lights have changed colour and not gone out completely so could be a different issue). The consensus seems to be to try disconnecting the negative terminal on the battery first, as recommended by Lovemyev above, and leave for a short while before reconnecting. That's pretty easy but what about the 're-calibration of steering and windows' referred to as necessary afterwards? Perhaps that is mentioned in the manual.
I believe the procedure is:
  • Turn the car on (ready mode).
  • Turn the wheel to the extreme left until it hits the stop, then to the extreme right, then recentre.
  • With each window in turn, drop it to the bottom then raise to the top.
Then lock and unlock the car and it should all reset - but others may be able to add anything I have missed.

MG4 could be different to the ZS EV ( Gen2 ).
But with the ZS EV ( Gen2 ) the only "self relearn" required after the 12 volt reset, is to restore the TPMS values.
This re-learn process is automatically carried out by the car, on your next trip out.
I did a master reset on my ZS EV only two days ago, when I ran the App it reported no data for all four tyres.
After the next short journey, the data was restored.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 511 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back