Charging speed poor

andymgzs

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Fast charge charging rate - on 10 occasions I have specifically tested fast charge rates on Grid Serve, IONITY, BP and Shell charging stations. This follow complaints from my daughter that fast charging takes for ever. The maximum charge rate has never been above 37kw. The car is rated at 76kw peak charge rate. Charging was made from 15% to 20% SOC to 80%.
MG do not have the ability to test this and say there is no fault.
Car is useless for road trip due to poor charging speeds.
Poor service and poor product that does not meet specification.

Is your car SR, LR or 1st gen (before facelift)?

They do have the ability to test it...when my car was delivered without any ability to DC rapid charge, they did the updates and then took it to the local rapid charger to test it - it ain't difficult!

Nope - not difficult. But they will not address the fault because there is no error code from a dumb VCom system.

I - as probably others on here - regularly get the advertised rates, hitting 86/87 kW on fast chargers. You should push the dealers/escalate however possible as that is totally unacceptable.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but a lot of the issues with public Fast chargers are they tend to be limited by the provider to balance their grid.

I've used BP Pulse and have never managed to go over 50kw/h, no matter what my location is and all their chargers I've used have been advertised as 150kW/h.

Yet I can use Instavolt & MFG and get 75kw/h+ on a regular basis that I've had to use them.

I don't tend to use ultra-fast chargers often as the 280 mile range gets me to destination chargers more often that not.

If you've got a MK1, they had issues fast charging and balancing properly, however the most I ever saw on my MK1 was 35kw/h. Would really help the community to confirm what version you've got.

2020 car with 45kw battery.

Interesting that you had the same charging issue and MG say there is no problem. They simply don’t understand the problem or the tech.

Looks like you are using Rapid DC CCS chargers not fast EVSE units.
Try Instavolt or Osprey Rapid chargers they are pretty good.

Nope - tried them all. It’s the car that is limiting charge speed.
Despite having the data from 10 charge sessions MG say there is not a problem and refuse to look into it.
It really is shoddy.

Nope - tried them all. It’s the car that is limiting charge speed.
Despite having the data from 10 charge sessions MG say there is not a problem and refuse to look into it.
It really is shoddy.
You've stated you've got the 45kw battery, so you've got a Gen 1 model with the lift up grill on the front.

The fastest rated charging on that model on paper was 76kw/h. I never in 8 months of owning it did I ever see it go over 30kw/h. A battery management system upgrade unlocked it from the 17kw/h to 30, but I never got the 76kw/h.

My Gen 2 has always been charging on the paper listed speeds on DC chargers when I've had to use them, however the long range version suits my needs and I don't need to use DC very often now.

If you want a MG dealer that knows what is what and has great customer services, call and speak to the service team at Chorley MG. They are probably the best customer services I've experienced.

Thanks bryer. Good information. For some reason MG do not want to acknowledge this problem.

To me it’s a big problem and the reason I selected the zs over other similar priced cars. On a road trip charging speed is the key differentiator.

Did you also measure the energy into the battery from 0 to 100%. Mine takes between 28kwh and 32kwh. Far less than the rates size of the battery.

Thanks bryer. Good information. For some reason MG do not want to acknowledge this problem.

To me it’s a big problem and the reason I selected the zs over other similar priced cars. On a road trip charging speed is the key differentiator.

Did you also measure the energy into the battery from 0 to 100%. Mine takes between 28kwh and 32kwh. Far less than the rates size of the battery.
No because I wasn't in a rush when charging with the MK1. It charged when it charged. I read forums and reviews on charging speeds before my purchase, so knew what to expect. The MK1 has never charged faster than 50kw even with press review versions.

Personally I'm finding your posts hard to believe if I'm honest. You've got to be the single most unfortunate MG owner on these forums going by your posts.

Last edited:
Yep - pretty poor experience.
Buying an MG is like shopping at Aldi/Lidl. Might look like a good deal, but in fairness you're getting what you pay for. A lower quality EV than the competition.

You selected the MG ZS EV from your leasing company, by the sounds of it you were expecting BMW levels of service and Porsche levels of quality and are shocked that you've not received that and are paying 3 times less than you would for what you want.

Word of advice, before actually agreeing to lease something, research the product. A simple Google search would have given you all the answers you needed as to whether the ZS was for you, which it clearly isn't.

Unless you're actually going to start to build a case to take to your local dealer with your issues, and concerns by doing what some of the very well informed members of this forum have done, you're not going to get the sympathy you're looking for.

For 90% of the users here, we are satisfied with our MG's as we all made the decision to buy a product we knew about and what it can and cannot do.

Have a great day and enjoy your Tesla. 👍🏻

Good customer service costs nothing!
Agreed, however you've been given customer service to the level of your problem, without any evidence that you've got an issue.

MG have tested everything and aren't going to drop everything to deal with just your issue without evidence that their equipment at the dealership is faulty. They've tested everything and it's reporting fine on their equipment. What more do you want them to do? You need to go away and evidence the issue so they can dive deeper in to the issue.

I doubt he even has an MG. This has all the hallmarks of a walley winding us up. I bet he wears round rimmed glasses and a red and white striped top.

Agreed, however you've been given customer service to the level of your problem, without any evidence that you've got an issue.

MG have tested everything and aren't going to drop everything to deal with just your issue without evidence that their equipment at the dealership is faulty. They've tested everything and it's reporting fine on their equipment. What more do you want them to do? You need to go away and evidence the issue so they can dive deeper in to the issue.
MG use their diagnostics. We know the SOH is hard coded to linear degradation. We also know the diagnostics don’t record peak charging speed (76kw).
That’s why we need forums to share experiences. There are lots of similar faults tracing back through all of the BMS updates.

MG use their diagnostics. We know the SOH is hard coded to linear degradation. We also know the diagnostics don’t record peak charging speed (76kw).
That’s why we need forums to share experiences. There are lots of similar faults tracing back through all of the BMS updates.
You really need to stop, re-read what people have replied to you.

You won't get 76kwh charging on a Mk1 vehicle unless the batteries are in the optimum temperature and conditioning. You're more likely to see 30-50kwh on DC charging in the UK on your type of vehicle.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom