Charging speed poor

You really need to stop, re-read what people have replied to you.

You won't get 76kwh charging on a Mk1 vehicle unless the batteries are in the optimum temperature and conditioning. You're more likely to see 30-50kwh on DC charging in the UK on your type of vehicle.
Then why does the specification say that (76kw). Winter, summer, hot, cold, 10%, 20% etc max it had ever pulled is 36kw on chargers rated at 100kw+.
Have MG throttled the charge rate in one of the updates?

From what people have replied (I have read) it is clear that the MG does not deliver on its as sold specification.

Then why does the specification say that (76kw). Winter, summer, hot, cold, 10%, 20% etc max it had ever pulled is 36kw on chargers rated at 100kw+.

From what people have replied (I have read) it is clear that the MG does not deliver on its as sold specification.
And what does the UK have to do with it? The car doesn’t know where it is.

If you read all the relevant literature, they state its UP TO 76kwh. It's like broadband you pay for up to a certain speed, doesn't mean you're going to get that all the time.

And what does the UK have to do with it? The car doesn’t know where it is.

The speed of charging varies drastically from network provider to network provider. A lot of UK based charging providers do limit their chargers speeds according to their network wide usage/demand and availability from the national grid.

Next time you're at a charging point, take a look at all the cars on charge, and you'll probably find none of them charging at the advertised maximum rates, and if they are all magically at full speed it would indicate surplus available in the grid or that every single one of them is at the optimum battery state to accept a full charge.

If you read all the relevant literature, they state its UP TO 76kwh. It's like broadband you pay for up to a certain speed, doesn't mean you're going to get that all the time.

The speed of charging varies drastically from network provider to network provider. A lot of UK based charging providers do limit their chargers speeds according to their network wide usage/demand and availability from the national grid.

Next time you're at a charging point, take a look at all the cars on charge, and you'll probably find none of them charging at the advertised maximum rates, and if they are all magically at full speed it would indicate surplus available in the grid or that every single one of them is at the optimum battery state to accept a full charge.
Fastned charge curve is useful and it shows that at least their test car achieved 76kw.

Tell me more about grid capacity / surplus.

Fastned charge curve is useful and it shows that at least their test car achieved 76kw.

Charging networks buy their electricity in bulk from their relevant provider, so if their network is operating close to what they've bought in a certain window, they will throttle their charging network back to prevent excessive charges from their supplier. Well that was the technical explanation given by Geniepoint for their recent pricing decisions.

Bit like when you lease a car and are given that rather high pence per mile figure for what you use in excess of your agreed mileage

You aren’t going to get that most of the time. The Fastned site states it was done in optimum conditions which it has as 30C and even then that only occurs between 10-20% SoC.

I wouldn’t be surprised if subsequent software updates have also limited this further since that test was done.

The facelift charges faster, and if charging speed is top of your priority list, there are better cars out there.

FWIW, sometimes when I use a Rapid Charger, I set the Iphone stopwatch on how long it takes for a mile to be added to the range. (ZSEV Mk1) It's about 40 seconds when charging less than 80/85%. Sometimes that miles takes a bit longer, so no idea what that means in terms of the KW intake....

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom