Charging the battery whilst doing a journey

SteveV

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG HS PHEV
New to a PHEV so please excuse my ignorance but if I have ran the EV battery down if I am still motoring on the motorway and have changed the settings for the ICE to recharge the EV battery will it use more fuel than if just on auto no recharge.

Yep, no such thing as free energy I'm afraid. I've played about with the charging rate a bit - the default is best I think. Bought a Type 2 to Type 2 lead for the rare away from home charges.

As far as I can remember there is no option for not charging the car on ICE. its only low, medium or high. Yes you will use slightly more fuel when charging the car using ICE so I only ever have it on low. I normally save the EV for when only city driving as I find EV is most efficient at lower speeds.

At 30-40mph I switch to ICE and let the car decide what is best. If you let the battery run down completely and you still have a long way to go, the fuel economy drops considerably as you are at that point using a hybrid as just a petrol car but with the additional weight of a battery.

Save the EV for when the miles left is similar to your destination so you can charge when you get back. I have done a comprehensive review on the PHEV and EV in general you may want to check it out

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom