Charging time? Have I got this right?

Crow

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
The charging time using a 7kW connection is declared as the same as a 22kW connection for the MG4.

At my local Tesco I have options of:

7kW - 28p/kWh, 22kW - 40p/kWh, 50kW - 50p/kWh

So, if I want a "fast" charge there is no point in plugging into 22kW and paying a premium for the same charging time?

What model do you have?

Se sr max = 7kw single phase
Se lr max 11kw 3 phase cable required
Trophy 11kw 3 phase cable required

So if you have a Se sr no point but other models you have a choice if you so desire but you need to upgrade type 2 cable to 32a 3 phase. To myself it is cost v time decision...no need/hurry stick with the cheaper option

P.s 50kw is DC rapid as far as I am aware so will charge much faster

Last edited:
The charging time using a 7kW connection is declared as the same as a 22kW connection for the MG4.

At my local Tesco I have options of:

7kW - 28p/kWh, 22kW - 40p/kWh, 50kW - 50p/kWh

So, if I want a "fast" charge there is no point in plugging into 22kW and paying a premium for the same charging time?
... yes thats about right - but the main thing is how long you spend on charge - as most supermarkets / charging places have 3 hrs max - so never ever go above this!!! - I received a CCJ for going beyond the 3 hrs - I'm in court in May (at my cost of £275), with Highview parking (Tesco) / DCB legal - I'm pretty sure I'll win (as they sent the letter way after the 14 days - POFA) - but even so they have made my life (financially) a disaster in recent months!

... yes thats about right - but the main thing is how long you spend on charge - as most supermarkets / charging places have 3 hrs max - so never ever go above this!!! - I received a CCJ for going beyond the 3 hrs - I'm in court in May (at my cost of £275), with Highview parking (Tesco) / DCB legal - I'm pretty sure I'll win (as they sent the letter way after the 14 days - POFA) - but even so they have made my life (financially) a disaster in recent months!
So you exceeded the parking time for the car park. Actual Charging was irrelevant here….

Have you been getting help over at MSE Forums?

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 545 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 92 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back