Charging Using Intelligent Octopus Via Ohme Home Pro

securespark

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
I have searched for information here, but not found anything, so advice would be gratefully received.

Alternatively, if there is info here, please could you direct me to it?

I am struggling to understand how to charge the car with the above setup.

I have been advised to to set a price cap. I went to the Octopus app as advised on their website, but was redirected to the Ohme app. There, I had to set up a schedule to charge, but rather than finding a "from.....to" setup, the schedule just had a "ready by" time.

All I want to do is plug in the car at (say) 10pm and be sure it will charge at the cheap rate between 11:30 and 5:30.

Can anybody advise?

There is a Facebook group dedicated to this specific topic:

We use the ohme app - and select "Charging Restrictions - limit charging over a certain amount", it normally takes a few tries to get it working, but once up and running it just works every night, only charging during your selected cheap period irrespective as to what time you plug it in, and depending on your supplier watch out if they use GMT x 365days or GMT/BST on the time of day tariff - if you need a boost during peak times, just select it on the wall box - not sure about the octopus intelligent system where they have extra daytime charge sectors to charge.

Last edited:
This is my set up . My trophy is set to 80% so will stop when it gets to that percentage

The best bit about intelligent is that when you plug the car in, octopus will start charging your car at cheap rate, if they have spare electricity… here’s a good example, plugged it in around 8pm and the car started to charge… see bill below

Last Monday I plugged it in at midday and car started to charge, so I knew everything was going to be at 7.5p, so j mowed the lawn and did some hedge trimming all on cheap rate… I love octopus energy

Attachments

• IMG_2316.png
    IMG_2316.png
    212.3 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_2315.png
    IMG_2315.png
    212.9 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_2317.jpeg
    IMG_2317.jpeg
    311.7 KB · Views: 88
In OHME app I have

1) in "my charger -> charge Schedules"add 100% by 9am for all days
2) set Price cap to 8p (or slightly more than the night rate...in case it changes from 7.5p)

That is it.

In MG app I used to have in "scheduled Charging" set to start at 22:00 and end at 6:00, " saved" and scheduled charging turned on as well. But looking at it now it is switch off but it also always works !!!!. Such Buggy software is in fact very hard to produce :)

I used to have charging schedule switched on in the car (23:30. - 05:30), but switched it off… not sure if it makes any difference as it seem the ohme takes control, the only thing the car does is decide the charge limit .. 80% etc… I probably should set the ohme to 100% by 9am also, but I very rarely let it get below 30%,so adding 50% always works

I have

Car set to stop at 80% normally or to 100% once a month or when doing a big trip (LR battery)
No other settings in the car

Ohme has no price cap set, and this is probably overkill but I have multiple schedules set 10% 20% 30% -> 90% charge to add before 7am

I select the "one above what I need to get to 80%" then plug the car in.
This gives the freedom of the IO plan to work with the cheap power times, without taking the piss... asking it to do 100% charge when you only need 40% is counter productive for what the scheme is trying to promote, as it will overcompensate and try to squeeze earlier charges in, when overnight will be more than enough.

It did once decide to charge from 4pm->10pm on a Friday earlier this month, but both Ohme and Octopus said if it was set to intelligent charge, and that is what happened, then let it... it was both sunny and windy, so could be correct.
I await this month's bill :)
I am not sure if setting "do not charge over 7.5p" would have stopped this from being possible, due to the 7.5p being 2330 onwards according to the tariff rates, so that is why the setting is disabled.

In OHME app I have

1) in "my charger -> charge Schedules"add 100% by 9am for all days
2) set Price cap to 8p (or slightly more than the night rate...in case it changes from 7.5p)

That is it.

In MG app I used to have in "scheduled Charging" set to start at 22:00 and end at 6:00, " saved" and scheduled charging turned on as well. But looking at it now it is switch off but it also always works !!!!. Such Buggy software is in fact very hard to produce :)
With the "price cap" set, have you ever noticed it charge outside of the 2330-0530 window?

Thank you everyone. I'll have a good read of all your advice tomorrow.

I have heard from another kind soul here about the Facebook group, but I don't do that kind of thing.

BTW....isn't there a thanks button on here?

I'm on another forum built on the same platform and there's a like and a thanks button.

Thank you everyone. I'll have a good read of all your advice tomorrow.

I have heard from another kind soul here about the Facebook group, but I don't do that kind of thing.

BTW....isn't there a thanks button on here?

I'm on another forum built on the same platform and there's a like and a thanks button.
Press and hold the Like and it will give options
1696027695808.png

I am not sure if setting "do not charge over 7.5p" would have stopped this from being possible, due to the 7.5p being 2330 onwards according to the tariff rates, so that is why the setting is disabled.

With the "price cap" set, have you ever noticed it charge outside of the 2330-0530 window?
Pretty sure it will stop the "extra" charging - Octopus say you should not enable that option.

I used to have charging schedule switched on in the car (23:30. - 05:30), but switched it off… not sure if it makes any difference as it seem the ohme takes control, the only thing the car does is decide the charge limit .. 80% etc… I probably should set the ohme to 100% by 9am also, but I very rarely let it get below 30%,so adding 50% always works
Please do not set to 100% - it defeats the purpose of IO and what Octopus are trying to achieve. They will try and schedule far more charging than you need.

Personally, I just leave a "add 30% by 9:30" profile set, then when I plug the car in you can override the current session and just adjust the silder to 5% more than I need to get to 80% or 100% - very occasionally I adjust the time (I'm retired!)

Having a price cap set is not how IO should be used.
If Octopus are unable to give extra slots to balance the grid then they may move people to another tariff.

Please do not set to 100% - it defeats the purpose of IO and what Octopus are trying to achieve. They will try and schedule far more charging than you need.
I have some sympathy for this, but I leave mine on "add 80%". I don't have the patience to check the SOC, subtract it from 80, and tell the Ohme, every time I plug in. I want to plug in and forget about it until morning.

Call it an incentive for Ohme to sort out integration with the MG API -- something they say is on their roadmap.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 520 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 48 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back