• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Charging

Barold

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all , just bought a mg5 but seen some posts saying you need a card or app to charge at charging stations also how do you pay any help appreciated

Barry

With the apps you register your details and top up credit that can be used to pay for your charge or you can register for RIFD cards and pay a monthly subscription, and usage is charged directly to your account.
Have you downloaded the app Zap-Map as this is a good source of information for charging points.

Thanks Mark , yes I have the zap map , so as far as the card goes is it just as easy to pay by contact less card or do you need the other card.

Barry

Hi Barold, I have downloaded pod point app and find it useful to charge at my Sainsbury store without cost. I know they also have free to charge point at some Tesco stores. Keep an eye to local parking restrictions for the free parking time, you don't to end up paying £80 parking charge for overstay. I have also downloaded bp pulse app where you can get free 3 months subscription.

It really depends on what chargers are in your area and on the routes you plan to use. I've now got Podpoint, Pulse (formerly Polar), Ecotricity and Instavolt apps, all of which allow you to register a credit or debit card.

Pulse and Podpoint require 'topping up' your balance, the others just debit the card. Instavolt and some others take contactless payment without any app. Pulse offers lower prices if you pay a monthly subscription, otherwise there's a minimum spend, even on their 'free' chargers.

Rapid charging requires using the CCS DC connector. While the 'rapid' AC type 2 connectors will fit, the MG EVs can only utilise 7kW of the 43kW available.

It really depends on what chargers are in your area and on the routes you plan to use. I've now got Podpoint, Pulse (formerly Polar), Ecotricity and Instavolt apps, all of which allow you to register a credit or debit card.

Pulse and Podpoint require 'topping up' your balance, the others just debit the card. Instavolt and some others take contactless payment without any app. Pulse offers lower prices if you pay a monthly subscription, otherwise there's a minimum spend, even on their 'free' chargers.

Rapid charging requires using the CCS DC connector. While the 'rapid' AC type 2 connectors will fit, the MG EVs can only utilise 7kW of the 43kW available.
Thanks for your help I'm new to this but learning slowly

Thanks for your help I'm new to this but learning slowly
Don’t worry you’ll get there to be honest it’s just a little bit of planning if your going further afield look at Zap-Map for charging along the route and the info will give you more details about payment and price per KWh too.
Locally if you can like Mas said look at Pod-Point for their free chargers at Tesco and Sainsbury’s, but also note the parking restrictions too.

Don’t worry you’ll get there to be honest it’s just a little bit of planning if your going further afield look at Zap-Map for charging along the route and the info will give you more details about payment and price per KWh too.
Locally if you can like Mas said look at Pod-Point for their free chargers at Tesco and Sainsbury’s, but also note the parking restrictions too.
Thanks Mark sure I will get there at the moment just work and that's local but hopefully come the summer we will be going to the coast as we have a caravan there with any luck we will get there and back on a full charge.

Barry

Hi Petriix, just a question about Pulse, I have signed up to their monthly subscription, with first 3 months free, I was charged £1.20 minimum fee,however my understanding was it is free for members where the charge cost is nil (at ASDA). What is your understanding and experience?

Thanks Mark sure I will get there at the moment just work and that's local but hopefully come the summer we will be going to the coast as we have a caravan there with any luck we will get there and back on a full charge.

Barry
Hi Barold that's good advice from Mark. For what it's worth in addition I have subscribed to Polar (now Pulse) for 4 years and monitor my costs each month which average 14p/kWh and includes a mix of Rapid, Free and the monthly £7.85 subscription. I find the convenience of having the RFID to access FREE points in my area worth paying the monthly subscription. Like Mark says use Zap Map to plan your longer journeys and decide what's best for you. Now there are far more Rapid points with contactless available I'm not sure whether I would subscribe. However I like having all my charging activity (including my 7kW home point use) available to me in one bill each month. Good luck and happy charging.

Thanks a lot Jake having a home charger fitted soon , been to work and back today we have about six inches of snow and it was a dream no problems in snow at all
Thanks again
Barry

Thanks a lot Jake having a home charger fitted soon , been to work and back today we have about six inches of snow and it was a dream no problems in snow at all
Thanks again
Barry
That’s good to know that the car is good in the snow....

Hi Petriix, just a question about Pulse, I have signed up to their monthly subscription, with first 3 months free, I was charged £1.20 minimum fee,however my understanding was it is free for members where the charge cost is nil (at ASDA). What is your understanding and experience?
You got to use the rfid card they supplied to get free charges. If you use the app, you get charged £1.20. Hopefully they will change this requirement soon.

You got to use the rfid card they supplied to get free charges. If you use the app, you get charged £1.20. Hopefully they will change this requirement soon.
Thanks for your reply. I will request for RFID card, only downloaded app.

Yes Tesco/Sainsbury has Pod Point 7KWH chargers, that has no charge and need app only. I have tried at ASDA that has Polar 7KWH and no charging cost with membership. I am planning to use 3 months free membership and decide, if is worth keeping it.

By the way, I got my car booked in Glyn Hopkin MG service at East London branch for end of month to check battery voltage issue, as I am only max 450 with full battery charge.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom