• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Check List for picking up new car

Alb

Solutions
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
I'm still awaiting delivery so was mulling over what to look out for when I pick the car up.
It's so easy to miss something significant because you're caught up in the moment and that's where a pre-prepared check list can be useful.
I've done a brain dump of that which comes to mind based on my own experiences but I'd welcome any observations or additions :)

Check List (not in any particular order)

• Two keys and check they both work
  • Printed owner's manual (check for roof rail update showing 35kg limit)
  • MG Assistance card/details
  • Registration Document?
  • 13A Charger
  • Tyre pump and bottle of gunge
  • Towing eye
  • Warning triangle
  • Wheel bolt cap removal tool
  • Check tyre pressures for over inflation
  • State of battery charge (HV and 12V)
  • Type 2 cable if ordered
  • Mats if ordered
  • Body panel condition and fit
  • Paint condition (inspect when dry and in good light)
  • Underside condition (ramp or kerb damage)
  • Wheel condition (kerbing)
  • Interior check for damage to seats and/or fittings
  • Registration Plate fit/level (especially rear)
  • Door mirror gasket fit
  • Functional checks on anything?/everything?
  • State of software update
  • Advertising stickers and labels removed
  • Free gifts promised as part of the deal
  • Check all "Removed for Transit" fuses are installed e.g. A/C fuse. (fuses may be in glove box)
  • Tyre Valve Dust Caps fitted

Last edited:
Check the manual has the update sticker saying the roof bars can take the 35kg. If you want it.

Good thought....
I'll update the list as suggestions come in.

I'd seen something about a free teddy with a service but not with a new car.
I know some other dealers sometimes leave flowers/chocolates/ some other small gift.

I must admit I was taking it for granted that the battery would be charged to 80%+ for handover.
Has anyone had their new car delivered with a low state of charge?

Mine was showing 46% in the pictures, they said they would charge it before handover...picked it up with 50%...

Check your insurance is covered and that the car is taxed.

Looking at collecting a new MG5 in about 2/3 weeks. Good point with the checklist; never considered taking that much notice but, looking through some of these, makes a whole lot of sense.

Warning Triangle - tucked in at the rearmost point of the 'spare wheel space', right under the tailgate - also, wee gadget for removing plastic covers from wheel nuts before using a wheel-brace. This should be situated in the 'tray' beside the tyre pump, gunge and towing eye

Both my batteries were fully charged and all tyres inflated correctly at 32psi. Faultless preparation by the MG Agent

10mm spanner 🙈😂
Just incase you need to disconnect the 12v battery

check the front tow hitch cover, mine has dropped out and will cost £55 to replace (if I get round to it)

check the front tow hitch cover, mine has dropped out and will cost £55 to replace (if I get round to it)
I'd consider that to be part of the body panel check but thanks for the tip (y) .
I've replaced one of these on a previous car and they tend to be inordinately expensive for what they are.

Very helpful, ours will be delivered in 10 days. Considering if we should take out the Supagard, never done that on new cars before, but living in devon means narrow roads. Last car we had, got keyed at 2 weeks old, would it have been better to have had this cover?
Thanks all

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom