Clunking Noise (play in front brake pads)

7asseko

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG HS PHEV
Hi All,

I noticed since I bought the vehicle (which I absolutely love) some clunking noise (2 knocks to be specific) coming from the front of the vehicle. The noise only happens once when I apply the brakes right after gear change from Drive to Reverse or vise versa. It is pretty much repeatable.

After that initial knocking noise, applying the brakes again does not reproduce it until I change the gear again.

Last edited:
Sounds to me like the front disc pads have play in them. When you brake going forwards, the pads move forward and clonk into place against the caliper and vice versa when you brake first time in reverse.

Probably not dangerous, but annoying anyway and definitely something for the dealer to check/correct.

Ok, got the car checked by the dealer and they confirmed that front brake pads are slightly smaller than the cavity they go in and therefore they move slightly forwards/backwards depending on the car direction producing this clunking noise. The dealer decided to grease them up which only worked for a couple of days as the noise is back (not as loud as before but I suspect it will only get louder).

The dealer did offer to replace the brake pads if noise come back which what I will do.

I am concerned that it might not be the brake pads that are smaller but the cavity/caliber is larger than spec. But will play the dealer game and see if that fixes the problem.

I am surprised that no one else is experiencing this problem as both front brakes are making this clucking noise adn the dealer was trying to convince me that this is normal.

I'm not sure if the MG has them, but many cars have spring clips that locate the disc pads. Surely the dealer would have noticed if these were missing on your car.....

I don't think it's normal at all. Mine have never made any clunking noise.

I wonder, in both my leaf and zoe I got a clunk when the regen disengaged just before stopping when applying the brakes. i doubt the manufacturer could have fitted the wrong brake pads, and dealerships are full of b******t

Ok, got the car checked by the dealer and they confirmed that front brake pads are slightly smaller than the cavity they go in and therefore they move slightly forwards/backwards depending on the car direction producing this clunking noise. The dealer decided to grease them up which only worked for a couple of days as the noise is back (not as loud as before but I suspect it will only get louder).

The dealer did offer to replace the brake pads if noise come back which what I will do.

I am concerned that it might not be the brake pads that are smaller but the cavity/caliber is larger than spec. But will play the dealer game and see if that fixes the problem.

I am surprised that no one else is experiencing this problem as both front brakes are making this clucking noise adn the dealer was trying to convince me that this is normal.
A bit late to the party but I have the same noise in my zs ev gen 2. Especially when I back out of my garage and put my foot on the brake after the cars been sitting. It goes clunk. And then again when driving forward and braking for the first time. Everyday..

A bit annoying. Did your dealer change the pads?

A bit late to the party but I have the same noise in my zs ev gen 2. Especially when I back out of my garage and put my foot on the brake after the cars been sitting. It goes clunk. And then again when driving forward and braking for the first time. Everyday..

A bit annoying. Did your dealer change the pads?
Yes, dealer changed front brake pads after lots of faff. Got them replaced 2 weeks ago, noise went away but it is now back (reduced levels). When they changed the pads they applied some grease which helps but as the grease washes out you start hearing the clunking noise. I am starting to believe it is not the pads and most likely the housing/caliber which is out of spec. I am waiting for the noise to be louder and more consistent to go back to the dealer. Really annoying issue.

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom