IMMEDIATE ATTENTION - Replacement Brake Pads

The Aliexpress pads are the same as fitted to ZSEV, Delphi appear to also make a rear pad that will fit (Delphi LP3801)
Thanks (y).
Can I ask how you confirmed this info plz ?.
So, it would appear its the same part numbers for both ZS EV ( Gen1 & 2 ) as the pads installed on the MG HS then ???.
We already know that the ZS EV has the hubs / bearings fitted from the HS model.
It was thought that these where an upgrade from the smaller hubs on the ZS ICE due to the extra weight of the traction battery.
The price of £42.74 on the Delphi pads, are a lot more expensive than the Aliexpress pads.
At this price, surely these must be running fairly close to the OEM parts ??.
We somehow need to find a third party supplier for the disc's themselves !.

The HS pads are 10634449 GA 8135(7) ZS pads are 10347032 GA 8135(7) this is the same part just a different prefix. The OEM pads from MG £106. Far too expensive

The OEM pads from MG £106. Far too expensive
Wow ............ There are very spiteful on price !.
The Delphi units are not that bad after all then.
No wonder the dealers are jumping on these brake services as a means of good revenue then.
Disc's and pads on four corners at the dealers is an expensive job for the customer that's for sure.
I wonder if the part number has changed because it has been superseded to cover both models now ???.
Looking at the back of the pads, and piston wind back tool is likely to be required when replacing the pads.

Not sure about the part numbers change but a local MG Dealer has confirmed they are the same part. It would definitely appear that when the parking brake is realised a wind back tool will be required as there is not sufficient space for the new pads. Aliexpress want £15.82 postage on top of the price, not so good

Not sure about the part numbers change but a local MG Dealer has confirmed they are the same part. It would definitely appear that when the parking brake is realised a wind back tool will be required as there is not sufficient space for the new pads. Aliexpress want £15.82 postage on top of the price, not so good
You may find this of some interest.
The electric handbrake actuator motors are held in place ( to the rear brake calliper ) with two torque drive retaining set screws on each side.
If you remove the holding torque screw, you are then able to access the female threaded drive screw that the motor body locks into.
When the handbrake is activated, the electric motor turn the screw drive and winds the pad against the brake rotor.
With the motor removed, you are then able to enter a torque bit ( that is the same size as the motor drive spindle ) and release the brake pad pressure if the motor fails in the ON position.
But I am not sure if you would still require a wind back / push back tool as well though ?.

If I can locate a reasonable priced pair of disks I will replace, or otherwise clean them up until after market parts are more readily available

Brake pads ordered from Aliexpress, courtesy of alekc £16.66 postage £15.82 these pads are for a HS, Fitting required a combination of push Back and turn back on the piston, they were a tight fit (thinkness of the pad) but fitted. The disks really need to be changed but will do later

Attachments

• IMG-20231015-WA0022.jpg
    IMG-20231015-WA0022.jpg
    463.6 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG-20231015-WA0020.jpg
    IMG-20231015-WA0020.jpg
    358 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG-20231015-WA0018.jpg
    IMG-20231015-WA0018.jpg
    492.9 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG-20231015-WA0014.jpg
    IMG-20231015-WA0014.jpg
    431.4 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG-20231015-WA0016.jpg
    IMG-20231015-WA0016.jpg
    416 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG-20231015-WA0010.jpg
    IMG-20231015-WA0010.jpg
    600.8 KB · Views: 145
The discs don’t look that bad (although from pics it’s hard to see). Is this the same brake change that started this thread 12 months ago?

No this is my Daughters Gen1 ZS EV 3.5 years old. I have cleaned the surface of the discs with various grades of flap disks on a grinder, but not a great job

What some main dealers charge (or try to charge) for this work is just greedy.

Hey everyone,
Just an update on my car. I eventually changed all discs and pads myself. MG claimed that the wear I had was normal.......... it was worse than I thought. The quality of the discs on MG cars is dangerous and the lack of any kind of responsibility from MG means that this'll be the last MG I buy.

MG offered to replace the whole set for £850, than after some emails back and forth they came back and offered £450 which I didn't accept. Sorry but I shouldn't be paying that to fix a quality issue on their side.

Front discs: Vented Front 300mm 181561 Febi (£70 Parts in Motion)
Front pads: APEC Blue 8326181RMP (£20 Ebay)
Rear pads: Delphi LP3801 rear pads (£34 Autodoc)

The rear discs are an oddball size thats for sure. It looks like they've mixed a standard 10mm thick disc and a larger diameter. From all the research I did it seems like there is no alternative and I searched various brands, tried a couple and then had to go to MG to buy them, £120 a pair.

The best thing about it, when I bought them the guy behind the desk said as he went to get them "these things corrode like I've never seen before". Yep and MG wants nothing to do with it.

If you can find anything the dimensions are:
Rear disc details:
10mm thick
38mm height (I'm not 100% on this dimension)
112mm x 5 bolt PCD
280mm diameter
65mm bore

You need an M14 12 point spline (looks similar to a torx but finer and more points, Amazon about £5) to remove the rear caliper, and a 10mm allan key for the front. Nice consistency there MG.....

To remove the parking brake you can just put 12v onto the connectors, one way puts the parking brake on, the other takes it off. Make sure you cycle the manual parking button before you drive the car away and make sure it's OK. I forgot to on one wheel and it came up with faults, then wouldn't put the parking brake on and the car started rolling. WTF you're supposed to do in this scenario in normal conditions I don't really know but luckily I just went back into the garage and fixed it.

Once you have the parts its a fairly easy job, about 40mins per side. Hopefully the details help someone else.

Cheers

Attachments

• IMG20231028124307.jpg
    IMG20231028124307.jpg
    555.7 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG20231028124302.jpg
    IMG20231028124302.jpg
    800.9 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG20231028124254.jpg
    IMG20231028124254.jpg
    761.4 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG20231028124148.jpg
    IMG20231028124148.jpg
    478.4 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG20231028124142.jpg
    IMG20231028124142.jpg
    513 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG20231028124113.jpg
    IMG20231028124113.jpg
    253.4 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG20231028124036.jpg
    IMG20231028124036.jpg
    817.5 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG20231028124021.jpg
    IMG20231028124021.jpg
    925.5 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG20231028124153.jpg
    IMG20231028124153.jpg
    563.9 KB · Views: 85
Hey everyone,
Just an update on my car. I eventually changed all discs and pads myself. MG claimed that the wear I had was normal.......... it was worse than I thought. The quality of the discs on MG cars is dangerous and the lack of any kind of responsibility from MG means that this'll be the last MG I buy.

MG offered to replace the whole set for £850, than after some emails back and forth they came back and offered £450 which I didn't accept. Sorry but I shouldn't be paying that to fix a quality issue on their side.

The rear discs are an oddball size thats for sure. It looks like they've mixed a standard 10mm thick disc and a larger diameter. From all the research I did it seems like there is no alternative and I searched various brands, tried a couple and then had to go to MG to buy them, £120 a pair.

The best thing about it, when I bought them the guy behind the desk said as he went to get them "these things corrode like I've never seen before". Yep and MG wants nothing to do with it.

Rear disc details:
10mm thick
112mm x 5 bolt PCD
280mm diameter
65mm bore

You need an M14 12 point spline (looks similar to a torx but finer and more points, Amazon about £5) to remove the rear caliper, and a 10mm allan key for the front. Nice consistency there MG.....

To remove the parking brake you can just put 12v onto the connectors, one way puts the parking brake on, the other takes it off. Make sure you cycle the manual parking button before you drive the car away and make sure it's OK. I forgot to on one wheel and it came up with faults, then wouldn't put the parking brake on and the car started rolling. WTF you're supposed to do in this scenario in normal conditions I don't really know but luckily I just went back into the garage and fixed it.

Once you have the parts its a fairly easy job, about 40mins per side. Hopefully the details help someone else.

Cheers
Holly crap !.
Those brake discs are in a terrible state, I don’t think I have ever seen the discs material deteriorate to that level, that quickly ever before.
Of course the fiction pads are going to get absolutely destroyed, when coming into contact with that badly eroded brake disc surface.
Question - How easy was it to retract the calliper pistons, in the front and the rear ?.
Can you just push them back with a pry bar or do they need to screwed back with a special tool ?.
It’s a really odd set up on the ZS EV.
The ICE version has its own standard fit wheel hubs, but the ZS EV has the upgraded heavy duty hubs from the older HS models
The wheel bolt / stud pattern is therefore different from the pitch on the ICE car of course.
Is this why the rear disc’s are such a strange size ?.
Third party items of these rear discs / rotors are unavailable as best as I can tell right now.
I know you can buy third party front brake disc’s for the HS PHEV from Borg & Beck.
How old is your car and how many miles has it covered please ?.

Once you put 12v across the terminals the piston will wind right back and then you just use a pry bar, screwdriver. It's really easy to do actually. MG said you need a laptop to do it but that's not true. One of the rubber piston boots split when the piston went back, replacing that was a pain in the ass! It's worth just lifting the seal a little so if the piston rotates it doesn't keep hold of the seal and tear it.

Yes the rear discs are MG only from what I could see which is a shame as they are terrible quality, confirmed by the MG mechanic. He said he was changing loads of them. I'm sure another company will start producing them at some point.

3 years old 36k on the car, although the discs looked terrible by around 30k, maybe less when the rust ring started to appear.

Hey everyone,

Rear disc details:
10mm thick
112mm x 5 bolt PCD
280mm diameter
65mm bore

Cheers
That is terrible. I think I'd be pursuing a legal remedy.

Great Article, very disappointing attitude from MG. Some very useful information about aftermarket parts, hopefully rear disks will be available soon from others.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom