IMMEDIATE ATTENTION - Replacement Brake Pads

Does anybody know how the Hill Descent Control works with brakes on the MK2 ZS? I dont think this is using regen as its very heavy (but Im open to correction) Is it using friction brakes for both front and rear or just front? I've only used this feature once in a multi story car park as a test to see if it works but might be useful to clean the disc's once a month!

Well AK OK, I don’t happen to agree with what was written before! I have never seen disks lose their hardened surface like those. Could it be that the brakes were half on making them extremely hot for a long time? Now that there is the ability for the car itself to energise the brakes, it opens up a real can of worms. It would be useful to see the other disks. In any event they should be changed under warranty asap and the old ones sent to MG for assessment.

Can you drive with your left foot on the brake while applying power with your right foot for short periods and in doing so ‘burnish’ the brake discs?
For example on my Kia Soul I can do this from time to time and it keeps the discs nice and fresh. Tesla actually have a brake burnish service setting that removes any regen and adds a programme that you follow with on screen graphics to clean up the discs.

Hey everyone, I've tried contacting MG customer service as I agree, the flaking disks are something I've never seen before. The car has 30k on it, not 300. MG basically said the parts are over 12 months old so............. Nothing we can do. You see cars on the road ten years old and the disks still look fine. I'm guessing this is a material/manufacturing issue but they don't seem to want to know.

I took it into the dealers for its second service and asked them to look at them. Apparently they've never seen disks go like that either, but they're brakes so basically no warranty on them. They were nice enough to quote £850 for a new set, front and rear.

I spoke to the helpline and they said the dealer was won't to say they wouldn't warranty as it's MG UK who decide that. But then I'm an email from MG a few weeks later they claimed the opposite that's it's up to the dealers.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has similar issues.

I agree that disks are normally regarded as a consumable item, the same as brake pads. However, I would suggest that those disks had a manufacturing fault. I think you could try to enlist a professional body such as the AA or RAC to back you up.

As I said before, it is possible that there is a technical fault that causes the brakes to be half on for long periods. However this would probably be noticeable with smell and reduced miles/kw.

My car has half the mileage at about 18,000 but all 4 disks are in excellent condition.

Mine has about 30k on it now and the rear brakes are fooked. Larger chunks coming off the discs, left and right side. The fronts have around 10mm on the circumference which isn't clearing up with hard braking. They should all be changed really.

Sourcing parts is a pain, I did find an MG dealer doing the rear discs for £120/pair. Rear pads can be found at a reasonable price £20/pair. Front discs aren't a bad price off eBay at~£80/pair. Front pads are hard to get but eBay has a few versions for around £35.
Hello
My daughter has gen 1 2020 and the only listed rear pads are not the type fitted to her car. The ref number on the pads is SIAC TRW GA8135, any idea where these and disks could be obtained, apart from MG

Hello
My daughter has gen 1 2020 and the only listed rear pads are not the type fitted to her car. The ref number on the pads is SIAC TRW GA8135, any idea where these and disks could be obtained, apart from MG
As far as I am aware, there is no third party suppliers selling discs and pads for the ZS EV model.
The MG HS PHEV - Borg & Beck are able to provide the fronts for them.
I wonder if they are able to procure them for the rears ????.

Last edited:
As far as I am aware, there is no third party suppliers selling discs and pads for the ZS EV model.
The MG HS PHEV - Borg & Beck are able to provide them.
I wonder if they are able to procure them ????.
Thank you

Attachments

• 20230803_175418.jpg
    20230803_175418.jpg
    298.7 KB · Views: 62
Hello
They look identical to the 2020 zs ev pads, thanks for this information maybe order a set to try.
They do look very similar I have to admit !.
It's a shame that some of the part numbers on the old pads are obscured.
Before you order them, ring your local MG parts department and ask them if the part numbers for the rear pads for the HS is the same as the ZS EV ?.
If they confirm, you are 100% sure of the fitment !.
We know for sure that Borg & Beck make the front pads and disc's for the HS.
If they can supply the rears for the HS and the part number match, then that maybe a quicker fix IF you are in a hurry ???.
At £16.66 they are going to be hard to beat on price thats for sure !.
Please let me know how you get with you conversation with the parts department (y).

I'd read this chain before taking my MG ZS with 50k miles on the odometer for it's MOT this morning. I was a bit nervous about the discs, so asked them to let me know what state they were in. Came back with a clean bill of health, no advisories, no worrying rust underneath and the discs were reported as "perfect"

I'd read this chain before taking my MG ZS with 50k miles on the odometer for it's MOT this morning.
I think the main reason for this is your higher usage pattern.
The rust / pitting has little time to build up on the disc's, as they are receiving more contact from the pads as the foot brakes are being used more, than a low milage user vehicle.
More foot brake use is better than less in this case.

The rust / pitting has little time to build up on the disc's, as they are receiving more contact from the pads as the foot brakes are being used more, than a low milage user vehicle.
Quite possibly true - however I always have it on the highest regen level so I had assumed it might be worse than it turned out to be. I dont think 17k miles a year is massively high, and it has dipped since we added a new MG EV to the family.

I’m relying on my usage pattern (which, given 10p/kWh leccy, does involve some “enthusiastic” driving as well.

Cost isn’t a concern as my lease includes maintenance, however I am fussed about how long I’d have to wait for parts should anything be needed.

2nd service is due next month… 🤞🏻

Quite possibly true - however I always have it on the highest regen level so I had assumed it might be worse than it turned out to be. I dont think 17k miles a year is massively high, and it has dipped since we added a new MG EV to the family.
Oh, and that's 50k without home charging - so public charging is feasible

They do look very similar I have to admit !.
It's a shame that some of the part numbers on the old pads are obscured.
Before you order them, ring your local MG parts department and ask them if the part numbers for the rear pads for the HS is the same as the ZS EV ?.
If they confirm, you are 100% sure of the fitment !.
We know for sure that Borg & Beck make the front pads and disc's for the HS.
If they can supply the rears for the HS and the part number match, then that maybe a quicker fix IF you are in a hurry ???.
At £16.66 they are going to be hard to beat on price thats for sure !.
Please let me know how you get with you conversation with the parts department (y).
Good advice, only 21000 miles on her car and pads and disks should all be replaced. I have bought the new long range Trophy connect so very interested to see how it all works out.

Good advice, only 21000 miles on her car and pads and disks should all be replaced. I have bought the new long range Trophy connect so very interested to see how it all works out.
The regen 3 level on the Gen 2 ZS EV is not as effective as the rengen strength on the Gen 1 ZS EV in the max default mode of level 3.
Although this can be seen as a disadvantage in some respects, with regards to recouping some of the energy, it will necessitate the use of a bit more extra use of the foot brake.
Therefore keeping the pads more mobile and help keeping the disc's free of rust & pitting etc.
A loss / win situation then I guess ?.
With this in mind, do we then think that EV with "One Pedal" driving must therefore be more vulnerable to requiring a full brake services on a more regular basis ?.
The rears receive a lot less use then the fronts in any car.
Add in the fact, that with an EV you have regen braking and the rears are now are in semi retirement most of the time :ROFLMAO: .

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom