Collected today - bitter sweet experience

jamherber

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 XPOWER
So we collected our shiny new racing green x-power today for what should have been an exciting day.

Sadly, we we’ve been badly let down by the dealer. Before we ordered the car, we asked for confirmation of date of manufacture, conscious of the dreaded vibe issue. Sales guy confirmed by email the car had been manufactured in Jan 2024 - all good we thought. After driving off in the car, the hideous vibrations started at 65mph and stayed at 70mph - far worse than the demo car we drove. Got home and looked at the CoC to find a manufacture date of Sept 2023 so blatantly lied too by the dealer.

I also asked for the software upgrade to the latest version (R46 or R59) - the car still had R40, despite confirmation that it had been updated at PDI.

Dealer had closed at this point but an extremely strong worded email is in the sales guy inbox, suggesting rejecting the car after being lied too. Had the demo car had this level of vibration, we wouldn’t have ordered.

It’s a real shame as in all other aspects the car drove brilliantly and ticked every box.

So we collected our shiny new racing green x-power today for what should have been an exciting day.

Sadly, we we’ve been badly let down by the dealer. Before we ordered the car, we asked for confirmation of date of manufacture, conscious of the dreaded vibe issue. Sales guy confirmed by email the car had been manufactured in Jan 2024 - all good we thought. After driving off in the car, the hideous vibrations started at 65mph and stayed at 70mph - far worse than the demo car we drove. Got home and looked at the CoC to find a manufacture date of Sept 2023 so blatantly lied too by the dealer.

I also asked for the software upgrade to the latest version (R46 or R59) - the car still had R40, despite confirmation that it had been updated at PDI.

Dealer had closed at this point but an extremely strong worded email is in the sales guy inbox, suggesting rejecting the car after being lied too. Had the demo car had this level of vibration, we wouldn’t have ordered.

It’s a real shame as in all other aspects the car drove brilliantly and ticked every box.

Reject it m8.

If I was in your position, knowing everything I know now, and knowing that MG now also know that it IS a problem, I wouldn't hesitate.

A decent rocket up their ass of rejection might also speed up the elusive fix the rest of us are waiting for.

Really sorry you are in this position.

The bizarre thing about the bloody vibe issue is that my m8 has just picked up a 3 month old X Power with 3000k and swears it has no vibes!

I'm driving it tomorrow to see for myself.

Last edited:

Sorry to hear that. As much as you like the the car, think I would kick up a hell of a stink and reject it. Someone's gonna get there arse kicked over this, and rightly so. And make sure they get you an X Power that's been built from November 2023. Presuming you've got another car to use while waiting for the replacement. 🤬

The bizarre thing about the bloody vibe issue is that my m8 has just picked up a 3 month old X Power with 3000k and swears it has no vibes!

3 million miles ! Maybe that's how long it takes for the parts to wear in and the vibes vanish . Sorry, couldn't resist 🤡

3 million miles ! Maybe that's how long it takes for the parts to wear in and the vibes vanish . Sorry, couldn't resist 🤡

You need to go to specsavers pal!

This is Three Million 3,000,000

3000k is 3000 Miles in my speak.

(And it is 'my speak' mind you)

"K in Greek represents kilo or one thousand. It's often used to represent 1000 dollars in North America"

When I was a mechanic we always used K.

"Ere John, What's the mileage on that? 56k m8,
Cheers My Luvverrr
Bob On" 🤣

Last edited:
You need to go to specsavers pal!

This is Three Million 3,000,000

3000k is 3000 Miles in my speak.

(And it is 'my speak' mind you)

"K in Greek represents kilo or one thousand. It's often used to represent 1000 dollars in North America"

When I was a mechanic we always used K.

"Ere John, What's the mileage on that? 56k m8,
Cheers My Luvverrr
Bob On" 🤣

Here endeth the lesson..

Reject it m8.

If I was in your position, knowing everything I know now, and knowing that MG now also know that it IS a problem, I wouldn't hesitate.

A decent rocket up their ass of rejection might also speed up the elusive fix the rest of us are waiting for.

Really sorry you are in this position.

I can believe that - the demonstrator that we had for an hour was registered in Oct 23, had 6k on the clock and had barely perceptible vibration (certainly compared to ours!)

I can believe that - the demonstrator that we had for an hour was registered in Oct 23, had 6k on the clock and had barely perceptible vibration (certainly compared to ours!)
Don't forget though, it was registered on Oct 2023 not made on Oct 2023 could have been made 6 months earlier for example so should in theory have the vibe. So that proves it's literally pot luck how bad, if indeed any the vibration is. 🙂

So your car has no where near 6000 miles on the clock, so wait and the vibes might well disappear.

So your car has no where near 6000 miles on the clock, so wait and the vibes might well disappear.
It might, but it might not, then to late to reject it.
Although he's pissed off with the vibration, think it's more to do with blatantly lying to him over the build date and updating the software. 🙄🙂

Sorry to hear you have a bad case of the vibes 😒

If you have found the vibrations that bad compared to the demonstrator I would definitely reject it on two grounds

(i) one being lied to about the manufactured date, and
(ii) the vibration itself being worse than the demonstrator

As above, it's about time MG did something asap about this, and the more people that reject the car straight away the harder the message will get through to them and their dealers.

So to update, sales manger called me back today to apologise for the issues but stated that the CoC doesn’t have a manufacturing date on it? Will have to research this.

Anyway, next week they are booking the car in to compile a report for MG UK. He stated that if the issue can’t be fixed, we would have the option of another car or a refund. Have a courtesy car whilst they do their test and report.

Will give them the benefit of doubt whilst they look into it and report back.

So to update, sales manger called me back today to apologise for the issues but stated that the CoC doesn’t have a manufacturing date on it? Will have to research this.

Anyway, next week they are booking the car in to compile a report for MG UK. He stated that if the issue can’t be fixed, we would have the option of another car or a refund. Have a courtesy car whilst they do their test and report.

Will give them the benefit of doubt whilst they look into it and report back.
I've been going off the build date printed on the label that's attached to the side of the car near the driver's door. That's accurate right? ....right!?

So returned it back to the supplying dealers today to be 'fixed'. The master MG tech was on leave this week but took it out with one of the other techs to demonstrate the problem - he agreed it was very bad (commented that it was the worse one they've had), the 'shuddering' can be felt through the whole car from 65mph upwards on a smooth road, not just the steering.

They are going to do a full test and report to submit to MG UK on Tuesday. He was aware of the 'Australian damper mod' as he brought this up in conversation - he wasn't aware that that it hadn't worked though when I informed him.

So we'll see what next week brings and whether we'll have to reject the car or not. If they can miraculously somehow fix it then great as we love the car and everything else on the car amazingly works ok, but I'm not getting my hopes up. The good news is they have plenty more un-registered X-powers in stock so maybe one of them will be a 'goodun', as the problem seems to be very much pot luck.

In the meantime, we have an MG5 as a courtesy car. I won't say anymore as it may upset some owners on here but hmmmm. Uber anyone?

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom