Disappointing day today

Thank you for all you comments above , it will be interesting to see if they phone me before I phone them, thinking about what happened yesterday for a safety recall you would think they would have access to more than one computer to do these at least, as I said disappointing day over all.
One plus point they have got a nice coffee machine and free.
Les.

I reported that my car had an oil leak to my dealer and initially I told them I would reject the car. We then came to a financial agreement to reduce the price of the car, nothing major, but a goodwill gesture that I appreciated. I was then going to book it in to be fixed at a local dealership.

I then got locked in my car, and if it wasn't for this forum and knowing about the emergency escape, I would still be there! I laughed it off, made light of it, until that is I came to my senses. I didn't buy a car so that I can get locked in, nor did I buy a car that leaks oil, or has a tray that is ill fitting and deformed. Climbing out of a brand new car was not acceptable, not even once. Enough!

The car is being collected on Monday at the dealers expense as I am 250 miles away (dealer has been very fair).

On the plus side, the car drives well, apart from a vibration through the steering at 70mph ..not that I have even reported this, but it is there, very slight, but it doesn't bode well for the future.

Each to their own, but I don't go to work so that I can pay for rubbish like this. For me, rejecting the car was the only option.

I reported that my car had an oil leak to my dealer and initially I told them I would reject the car. We then came to a financial agreement to reduce the price of the car, nothing major, but a goodwill gesture that I appreciated. I was then going to book it in to be fixed at a local dealership.

I then got locked in my car, and if it wasn't for this forum and knowing about the emergency escape, I would still be there! I laughed it off, made light of it, until that is I came to my senses. I didn't buy a car so that I can get locked in, nor did I buy a car that leaks oil, or has a tray that is ill fitting and deformed. Climbing out of a brand new car was not acceptable, not even once. Enough!

The car is being collected on Monday at the dealers expense as I am 250 miles away (dealer has been very fair).

On the plus side, the car drives well, apart from a vibration through the steering at 70mph ..not that I have even reported this, but it is there, very slight, but it doesn't bode well for the future.

Each to their own, but I don't go to work so that I can pay for rubbish like this. For me, rejecting the car was the only option.
I'd recommend getting something that has been out for 2 years on the market and thoroughly debugged, whichever manufacturer you go for. That's the way to avoid issues.

I’m pleased that you got a good result in the end. I have to say that having been fortunate to have had many new cars, I have never had one without faults that needed to be rectified - high-end models included.
The introduction of EV’s makes the likelihood of faults (particularly software related) more likely.

Each person must make up their mind on where to draw the line of course. For me it is how many issues that I encounter, and how I am treated getting the issues rectified. I can accept that they happen. I can’t accept consistently poor service and a high number of recurring issues.

I’m pleased that you got a good result in the end. I have to say that having been fortunate to have had many new cars, I have never had one without faults that needed to be rectified - high-end models included.
The introduction of EV’s makes the likelihood of faults (particularly software related) more likely.

Each person must make up their mind on where to draw the line of course. For me it is how many issues that I encounter, and how I am treated getting the issues rectified. I can accept that they happen. I can’t accept consistently poor service and a high number of recurring issues.
I agree and I also think it is highly dealer-dependent. Some MG dealers seem very good, others awful.

What would be really useful would be to know in advance: some kind of independent rating of the dealers so everyone can choose a good one and put pressure on the others to change. Is there anything out there for this?

I forgot to mention that the car charges when it likes, or sometimes not at all, despite me scheduling it in. I stayed up once to ensure it started on time and it did do that. It charges to 100% every time though, even though I set it to 80%.

There’s a dealer thread on this forum that Stuart has set up, where you can provide feedback by dealer.

I forgot to mention that the car charges when it likes, or sometimes not at all, despite me scheduling it in. I stayed up once to ensure it started on time and it did do that. It charges to 100% every time though, even though I set it to 80%.
My experience is that most EV‘s will at some stage have this type of issue. It’s not great but it’s a case of working through it. Very few will have had a new computer and not experienced issues with it - I’m afraid that’s to a degree what you are buying with an EV.

It depends what you are talking about.

In terms of producing a desirable car at a great price: MG are leaders.
In terms of communication and general organisation: MG are worse than many.
In terms of response time and trying to do something about issues: MG are pretty darn fast.
In terms of debugging the car before it is released: MG are below average (but not compared to manufacturers like VW).
In terms of cost-cutting: MG are at the forefront, but that brings its own problems.

One of the big problems is the franchised dealer model, which is not specific to MG. Once upon a time when your local garage could take the car apart and reassemble, it made sense. But in highly software-driven environment with sealed components it can just be a barrier and a miscommunication creator. Tesla have it right with the direct sales and service model I think.
That is a pretty sweeping statement.
Having bought a number of Ford cars from the same dealership including a number of new cars, I had an unacceptable experience with their service department. It involved the replacement under warranty of a pretty simple part and I had to go back repeatedly to get it resolved. And the attitude and support I got from them was awful.
As a result I will never go back to them.

Regarding MG dealerships, most are quite new, as are their IT systems. Not that it is any sort of excuse.

From what I am reading on this forum, everyone is being far too lenient and understanding.

I have no interest in the new car 'niggles' argument personally. The law states that the car should be fit for purpose and of good quality. A car that you have to climb out of, that leaks oil, that has an under-tray that deforms is neither fit for purpose, nor of good quality.

From Google
Under the Consumer Rights Act 2015, you have a short term right to reject your car if it is of unsatisfactory quality, unfit for purpose or not as described. You can get a full refund. However, you should remember that this right is short-term and is only limited to 30 days from the date you brought your car.

Last edited by a moderator:
From what I am reading on this forum, everyone is being far too lenient and understanding.

I have no interest in the new car 'niggles' argument personally. The law states that the car should be fit for purpose and of good quality. A car that you have to climb out of, that leaks oil, that has an under-tray that deforms is neither fit for purpose, nor of good quality.
Sure - you are entitled to your view, as are those that are more tolerant.
In an ideal world cars would be perfect in every way and accepted as so by everyone. That will never happen.
Will you not accept any faults on any new car that you buy, before you reject it? Is there not some sense in the argument that it‘s how you are treated and how quickly you get the issues sorted?

I'd recommend getting something that has been out for 2 years on the market and thoroughly debugged, whichever manufacturer you go for. That's the way to avoid issues.
Not sure this fellow would agree with you! He's talking about his VW id3 which he's had for over 2 years and seems to be getting new bugs.

Sure - you are entitled to your view, as are those that are more tolerant.

In an ideal world cars would be perfect in every way and accepted as so by everyone. That will never happen.

Will you not accept any faults on any new car that you buy, before you reject it? Is there not some sense in the argument that it‘s how you are treated and how quickly you get the issues sorted?
I will accept some faults for sure, but they have to be minor and they must not cost me time or money to correct.

Climbing out of the back of a car because all of the locks, windows have been disabled, no certainly not. It might be a very, very small chance, but someone could die because of this fault.

Is it really that I don't like the car, is that what is firing up my intolerance? Maybe, maybe I have realised that the car is ultimately of poor quality and I can do better.

I will accept some faults for sure, but they have to be minor and they must not cost me time or money to correct.

Climbing out of the back of a car because all of the locks, windows have been disabled, no certainly not. It might be a very, very small chance, but someone could die because of this fault.

Is it really that I don't like the car, is that what is firing up my intolerance? Maybe, maybe I have realised that the car is ultimately of poor quality and I can do better.
That’s fair enough. I know how you feel - once confidence has gone it’s time to move on.

Reported to the dealer 3 weeks ago when I got the car and got zero communication from them. Had to go to the area manager. Kept reporting it and it might just get parked in front of the front door if nothing is done. Reported to finance company and MG customer service. Never know such bad customer service. It wont go away so deal with it.
Yes. Park it directly in front of the entrance and take someone from the local newspaper with you. ;-)

From Google
Under the Consumer Rights Act 2015, you have a short term right to reject your car if it is of unsatisfactory quality, unfit for purpose or not as described. You can get a full refund. However, you should remember that this right is short-term and is only limited to 30 days from the date you brought your car.
Yes you can reject a car and get a refund.

But then you have no car and waiting times for new ones are typically months.

You could buy second hand, as some have done on these forums after rejecting.

But if you are too strict in your no issues criteria, you might be spending and awful lot of time buying and rejecting. Don't forget people are balancing: "if I reject it, what if my next car is just as bad in different ways?".

Leasing or renting might be the best option for the easy life.

I’m definitely feeling a dip in ownership satisfaction based solely on this forum. Will it make any difference to sales and the progress of MG in the Uk? Time will tell. Personally, I doubt it.

I’m definitely feeling a dip in ownership satisfaction based solely on this forum. Will it make any difference to sales and the progress of MG in the Uk? Time will tell. Personally, I doubt it.
I think forum satisfaction may change.

Those who got the earliest cars had no information on what problems to expect, so each one was a nasty surprise.

Those, like me, receiving the car a few months in know what to expect and so we'll be more tolerant of those same issues.

That's not to say there aren't nasty issues still waiting to be discovered! I expect there are.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 493 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back