Collected today - bitter sweet experience

The only other place I can find a date is on a sticker underneath the rear parcel shelf which is within a few days of the date on the C of C. It's probably the date it was inspected when delivered to the assembly line.

A year old then. Ish?

28 04 2023

20240403_124724.jpg

Last edited:
So dealer have just called back with some unsurprising information - MG UK are aware of the vibration issue but don't know when a fix will be but it is apparently being worked on in China.

So now got to decide whether to try and reject the car. No idea how long this process would take and thus how long we will be without a vehicle for. I guess the alternative is to accept it back pending the 'fix' but without a promise of timescales, this could be a leap of faith.

After further discussions with the dealer, we have decided to reject the car due to the vibrations.

They have another unregistered green X-Power in stock that was built in December 23 so we have agreed in principle to take that instead. Keeping everything crossed that it's going to be one of the better ones. The are even letting us keep the MG5 courtesy car until this all formally agreed (circa 2 weeks). Hoping for all you other owners that that the more cars that get rejected due to this issue, the more pressure will be on MG to get a fix sorted.

Have to say, after an initial rocky start, the dealers (Hendy Poole) are seemingly redeeming themselves very well.

After further discussions with the dealer, we have decided to reject the car due to the vibrations.

They have another unregistered green X-Power in stock that was built in December 23 so we have agreed in principle to take that instead. Keeping everything crossed that it's going to be one of the better ones. The are even letting us keep the MG5 courtesy car until this all formally agreed (circa 2 weeks). Hoping for all you other owners that that the more cars that get rejected due to this issue, the more pressure will be on MG to get a fix sorted.

Have to say, after an initial rocky start, the dealers (Hendy Poole) are seemingly redeeming themselves very well.
Have you asked to test drive the replacement car? I know I would, just in case.

Have you asked to test drive the replacement car? I know I would, just in case.
Sort of. Asked the master tech who is well aware of the vibration issue to test drive the replacement car at 65mph+ as part of PDI and report back. I've driven 2 other X-Powers at the vibration speed and neither were anywhere near as bad as the car we're rejecting, so thinking (read as hoping) we just got a particularly bad one.

Mine is an late August build and wasnt too bad originally. However a full wheel balance did improve it to almost nothing. Fingers crossed for you and it all goes to plan this time.
Thanks. Hope so as we love the car and if the vibrations had been minimal, we would have persevered with it.

First hurdle is waiting for MG UK to approve the rejection which should be a formality but based on what I've read on here, they don't seem the most reasonable company so definitely keeping fingers crossed. Will be pretty stressful until we get confirmation.

MG UK (legally) have nothing to do with this ... this is between you and your seller. (MG UK sell the car to the dealer, who then sells it to you).

The dealer will be trying to get MG UK to approve it so that they can get their money back from MG, but that legally has nothing to do with your rejection vs the dealer.

MG UK (legally) have nothing to do with this ... this is between you and your seller. (MG UK sell the car to the dealer, who then sells it to you).

The dealer will be trying to get MG UK to approve it so that they can get their money back from MG, but that legally has nothing to do with your rejection vs the dealer.
Totally agree, your contract of sale is with the dealer, not MG UK. Having rejected a couple of cars in the past, I speak from experience.

Thanks for the clarification. Haven't had the pleasure of having to reject a car before so it's all new to me.

I guess if the dealer can't get the approval from MG UK then the fun legal stuff will start between me and the dealer.

Thanks for the clarification. Haven't had the pleasure of having to reject a car before so it's all new to me.

I guess if the dealer can't get the approval from MG UK then the fun legal stuff will start between me and the dealer.
Luckily one rejection went smoothly, but the other not so. However a call to the local trading standards office soon got a reaction from the dealer! Check GOVUK website and your local authority websites for information, Im aware that legislation has been updated since.
However as they have already agreed to the rejection, may not be an issue.

I'm hoping that on the basis that the dealer already has stock to fulfil my replacement order and that we're clocking up the miles in his courtesy car, he'll want it to go relatively smoothly but I guess time will tell!

Last edited:

Don't worry pal.

Plain sailing at the early stage you are at.

They have had their 1 chance to fix it.

Not fixed.

You reject.

They dont have a leg to stand on if the CCA is anything to go by.

Looking forward to seeing your new car soon. 👍

Last edited:
Just to clarify ... it is the CRA that matters here ... the Consumer Rights Act 2015. :)

The CCA (Consumer Credit Act 1974) would only apply if you were seeking to invoke Section 75 protection (which makes the credit provider jointly and severally liable with the seller for the performance of the contract). However there's a £30k limit on the value of the goods (not the amount of credit) so S75 may not be applicable here.

Still chasing the dealer about the rejection (not too desperate as we have their MG5 loaner).

Latest response is that they are still waiting to hear back from MG UK. On another thread, someone posted that MG are saying that vibration isn’t grounds for rejection so feel this could be a drawn out process.

Appreciate our contract is with dealer so know it will get sorted eventually but guess if dealer gets claim rejected by MG UK, they are going to be somewhat less than helpful to us as will face a considerable loss.

Really can’t believe MG UK are saying this issue is acceptable!

Keep the faith m8 and be strong.
Easy for me to say I know, but it is a worldwide issue with lots of evidence to back you up.
The Consumer Law is also on your side.
Take it all the way if need be.

There isn't a Judge in the land who would be happy if it was their car, and it had unacceptable vibes from the get go.

Don't laugh, I can see a Judge in an X Power! 🤣

I don't know what lengths they are going to go to on your car, but if after they have rebalanced all of the wheels, and double checked the tyre pressures, the vibes are still unacceptable, that leaves only one option.
Rejection.
Surely.

They can't be suggesting you put up with it?

What MG seem to be failing to see, is that a lot of future custom hangs in the balance, and that's just with the X Power owners.

Everyone else will be keeping a keen eye on how it's dealt with, I'm sure.

Last edited:
So after an initial strong, helpful response from the dealer over this rejection & replacement, things have taken a bit of a nose dive, with limited information and updates.

Got an email from the sales manager yesterday saying that MG UK were rolling out their usual line that it's a characteristic of the car but they were 'vigorously advocating on my behalf'!

Needless to say I have replied to him in a polite but very strongly worded e-mail stating that my contract of sale is with them, not MG UK and suggested the issue of whether or not MG UK will reimburse the dealer for this rejection is very much an internal issue between them and MG UK. They are a big dealer so I'm sure they would have some leverage with MG UK.

I have given them a deadline of next Wednesday to provide in writing an agreed course of action with a timescale to avoid escalation, but at this point in time, it seems increasingly likely we'll have to resort to legal action.

Such a disappointing start to ownership of what is a great car, failed by this fundamental QA / design issue and lack of acknowledgement of the problem.

So after an initial strong, helpful response from the dealer over this rejection & replacement, things have taken a bit of a nose dive, with limited information and updates.

Got an email from the sales manager yesterday saying that MG UK were rolling out their usual line that it's a characteristic of the car but they were 'vigorously advocating on my behalf'!

Needless to say I have replied to him in a polite but very strongly worded e-mail stating that my contract of sale is with them, not MG UK and suggested the issue of whether or not MG UK will reimburse the dealer for this rejection is very much an internal issue between them and MG UK. They are a big dealer so I'm sure they would have some leverage with MG UK.

I have given them a deadline of next Wednesday to provide in writing an agreed course of action with a timescale to avoid escalation, but at this point in time, it seems increasingly likely we'll have to resort to legal action.

Such a disappointing start to ownership of what is a great car, failed by this fundamental QA / design issue and lack of acknowledgement of the problem.

I don't think it will get that far m8.

They will realise they are not dealing with your average numbty, but a fully informed and determined member of the motoring illuminati.

Might be worth getting the Motor Ombudsman involved at this stage before you get anywhere near the legal side of things.

Keep The Faith! ✊

"ILLUMINATI BRUV" Paul Chowdry 👍🤣

Another course of action could be to get a neutral third party "car expert" to drive you car and exprerience the vibes themselves and then write you a short report to support your claim that the car is unacceptable for motorway cruising. This should hold up in any court and trump any wittering from MG that it is a "characteristic of the car".

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom