Comfort Pack 2 Update MG ZS EV

He might have said £300...but never the less, a bit better than you can get on your savings in the bank...about 1% P/A ??

I agree with all that this particular update should be handled as a recall by MG, and therefore be free for the customer (with MG UK compensating the dealer for the labour). Subsequent updates could be charged for, as the MG marketing never promised free updates for the life of the car (a la Tesla) although I believe they will need to soon in order to stay competitive in the new world of Electric vehicles. This particular update fixes serious shortcomings with the vehicle which were not made clear in the sales collatteral nor were initially obvious in test drives. Therefore, I think if we all write to MG UK, this would help the case and shame them into an appropriate response. Does anyone have the correct contact details for the right department at MG UK?

I'm hopefully collecting my car at the weekend ? I've been advised that all updates have been applied free of charge (I think they said going forward it would be £60).

Really looking forward to getting the car and in particular experiencing it with the new software. In a way, the timing and delay around getting the car (I ordered in Feb) have worked out fine as I haven't had to live with the bongs etc... (which really annoyed me just from the test drive).

Fingers crossed the comfort update has actually been applied, first thing I'll be doing is looking for the temp reading on the main display lol.

I do feel like these updates should be free as part of servicing - payed for by MG. Modern cars like this should be getting updates on a regular basis as they are more software than hardware compared to early ICE cars and especially in this scenario when many of the changes are what I would call bug fixes (Honks when the passenger exits!). But, at £50-60 I feel it's a bit more reasonable. £90-100+ is ridiculous.

I think you do have the right to require the dealer to bring the vehicle to current software spec' before delivery, so you're fine :). We've put 5000 miles on our ZS EV now and we still love it, although we CAN'T WAIT for the software update, which is happening TOMORROW!! :). Up to now, when people ask me what I think about the car, I say "power train is excellent, software is shocking". Hopefully from tomorrow onwards I can say "power train is excellent, software is mediocre" :). My son-in-law drives a model 3 and I'm soon to take delivery of a 2020 e-Niro, so I know what good software should look like ;-).

Picked ours up on Friday, all software updates were done beforehand and it is much better than the car we test drove! Will keep an eye on what the GOM reports against real life commuting...

@DangerousDoug,
Welcome come to the MG EV community.
You contribution above is noted. I believe several members share your views but as a community we may have a bit of inertia when it comes to communicating back to MG. It has been suggested before but not many came forward to give us a mandate to act as a group. (Please see the thread ... Let's bring our ZS EV issues to the attention of MG)
At present I think individuals who wish to contact MG are doing so using the "contact us" section on the official MG UK website.

Last edited:
Range

@JMX,
Welcome to the community.
Please see above the official MG ratings for the ZS EV's range. This has not changed even with the Comfort 2 update.
As you can see depending on which WLTP cycle your driving falls into your GOM may show upto 163 or 231miles or less.
It is thus advisable not to publish your personal GOM readings as proof of anything. If you want to comment on range the best thing to do is a range test as close to a WLTP cycle as possible and then share all the details so we all can evaluate things properly.
Unfortunately some people are using their personal GOM reading to make claims about the ZS EV which are untrue and it is important that we stop such disinformation before it takes root.
I have explained how the GOM works earlier in this thread. Please read it may help give you a better understanding of the issue.
I have personally experienced the harm such disinformation can cause. I recently witnessed a very distressed ZS EV owner in a dealership who was complaining that everyone was claiming higher GOM numbers than his GOM was showing. Unfortunately the ill informed after sales team in this Dealership were also unhelpful resulting in further distress and unnecessary test/cost. We would not be helping eachother by spreading disinformation.
Forgive my rant but we have to deal firmly with such issues if not our community may become harmful.

I’ll be doing 100+ miles a day of mixed driving (motorway, city etc). I’ll keep a log for my own interest and maybe share in 3 months time when I have some data.

@KasEV
I do take your point about folks on forums mis-interpreting GOM data from other members. However I do find this data useful in comparing my own driving style and efficiency with other ZS EV owners. So as you point out, I think education on the proper interpretation and use of posted GOM data is preferable to discouraging the actual posting of such data. I've been a member of this forum since late January, when our car was delivered, and it's been really interesting for me to see how ours and other cars have seen their range vary as the weather has changed (remember the shocking winter we had, with all that rain and wind!!). It's also encouraged me to find more efficient driving styles, to get closer to the "running on air" figures that some (Sussex resident ;-)) forum members were getting! - maybe the electricity is denser back east ;-).

It's always been a habit of mine to perform constant mental arithmatic while driving along in any car I've owned, to calculate my instantaneous consumption and range by reading the odometer compared with GOM range indicator, fuel guage etc. (with my old ICE cars obviously) and I've taken that habit forward to the MG (our first electric car). One thing I've noticed straight away when comparing the MG with my previous few cars (Volvo V70, 2 x Lexus LS430, Audi A8) was how accurate the MG GOM is, especially when approaching zero. ALL my other cars (which as you can see were high end models - although I bought them used!! :)) were quite inaccurate and would collapse over the last 40 miles or so, dropping from around 30 miles to 10 or zero in just a few miles. For that reason I never let them run below "30 miles to empty", at the very least (who says range anxiety is a new EV problem!!??). However the two times I've taken the MG down to almost zero, it was completely linear, showing a 1 mile travelled to 1 mile GOM decrement right down to 6 miles (the lowest I've been on the GOM) as I pulled into my driveway.

I would be very interested to hear other folks' experiences of their GOM linearity at exreme range, as well as any changes to their perceived range after this latest update. There clearly has been a tweak to the battery management, as Bjorn seems to be seeing faster (rapid DC) charging after the update to his Norwegan vehicle. Unfortunately, this is a risky thing to test, as you can't just stick a plasic fuel can in the back, like you can with an ICE car - I can't pursuade my wife to drive behind me with a hired portable generator! :)

Cheers

@Chrispydoc, @DangerousDoug,
You are both absolutely right.
If anyone paste GOM and states because of their driving style they are getting the best out of the ZS EV then there is no issue. In fact that was what several of us were doing by giving emphasis to driving style/eco/regen etc in other words WLTP cycle. In the last few weeks however there has been a significant change in the tone of our "range seekers" Some of the recent claims are not related to WLTP cycle at all and have been extremely misleading including those that claim the C2 update has increased range by 40 to 50%. This kind of claims are dangerous misinformation and that is what we should all ensure this forum is not used to spread.

I,ll have one last go.

Some of the points raised in the past about the relationship of us, the customers, and MG them selves have rankled me.

I would be absolutally amazed if MG didn't have someone monitoring this group and feeding back our views to MG Head office.

I think the notion that we can only get their attention, by each of us of us, individually writing letters or logging onto their website and complaining is frankly daft.

I also think that telling MG (via this group) that we cant be bothered to do this, dosen't help our case.

We are all MG enthusiast and owners, we like the product a lot, but some us think that MG is sometimes poor with its customer after sales service.

I honestly don't think a 'wannabe owner' is going to put off by what he /she reads on this forum, quite the reverse.
The range is an interesting subject....its what most folk want to know about. Obviously it depends on numerous factors. Our GOM on the MG seems to more accurate than some other EV's.

I personally cant see anything wrong it talking about our own experiences. Thats what forums like this are all about.

I've never been in favour of "Book Burning" or censorship and I not going to change that view now.

JUST MY OPINION>>>>>>>

Last edited:
@Mark Holmes,
Please do not get offended. Do continue to contribute.
I am sure if someone came saying the earth was flat you will politely say well one is entitled to that opinion but the cumulative knowledge of the world as a whole is that the world is a globe. It will be a dis-service to everyone else if no one stands up to challenge misleading opinions and unfounded information. That is what really freedom of speech is about. The use of sound argument to disproof and dispell fables and tales. It is never about allowing such feebles and tales to stand unchallenged.
Everyone can write what they want but everyone else has a right, even a duty to challenge what is written with sound arguments if what if what is written happens to be untrue.

@Chrispydoc,
Just one comment. I have some experience about how lobbying companies work. No matter what is being said on forums and the media at large as soon as companies get into any difficulty the first thing they do is go to their customer service data and show that whatever the issue was the actual majority of their customers have never complained about the issue at stake and the issue is media driven rather than customer driven. The way to get companies reacting on issues is to make sure whatever is in the forums / media and the rate of complaints to the company customers services on any issues are one and the same and the company has no place to hide. In fact individuals customers complaining about the same issue to a company customer services carries one of the strongest momentum for change.
Ask any lobbyist.. Customers writing individually to companies about the same issue is not daft rather a very effective action.
I think there is vast experience and knowledge amongst members and the suggestions people give in general are very sound. We just should watch carefully for the bogus suggestions and opinions and root them out.

Last edited:
Hi Folks,
I see some members are upset about the issue of challenging information, opinions and suggestions in this forum which happen to be untrue and discouraging members about posting unfounded data and claims.
I personally think it is very important to do this and if one finds themselves to be deemed as wrong then one may agree to disagree on the issue or acknowledge one was wrong or misinformed.
Anyway that is my opinion. If members feel such challange to disinformation is not appropriate and not welcome then please make it known.
Thanks

Hi Folks,
I see some members are upset about the issue of challenging information, opinions and suggestions in this forum which happen to be untrue and discouraging members about posting unfounded data and claims.
I personally think it is very important to do this and if one finds themselves to be deemed as wrong then one may agree to disagree on the issue or acknowledge one was wrong or misinformed.
Anyway that is my opinion. If members feel such challange to disinformation is not appropriate and not welcome then please make it known.
Thanks
It looks to me that you confuse disinformation with just sharing information. I believe it was more or less a question if somebody else also noticed an increase of GOM. Unfortunately I am still waiting on my delivery so cannot share my experiences. By the way, I value experiences more than WLTP figures. As DangerousDoug I also always calculate my average milage: Fill it up and at next fill up calculate the miles travelled and divide the miles by liters. Same can be applied here and we have the real figures.
Don't make it a personal crusade.

Shout out to Wilcox Garage in Wickwar, Gloucestershire as they installed the Comfort 2 update without charging me. They said it was because I was a good chap, but I suspect because I bought the car from them!? Nevertheless good service and love the lack of bongs!

@WilliamEV,
Thanks. Your point is noted. I beg to differ and be rest assured nothing personal here. There is no confusion on this issue. Disinformation is sharing information that is not true so it is not the sharing that is the issue. It is whether what is shared is true or false.
You are right about WLTP it is done to a laboratory standard which is difficult to reproduce in real life.
Unfortunately for us it is the method of defining range at present so most reviewers and commentators try to come close to the WLTP cycle as much as is possible in real life conditions and always find the range in real life to be lower than in the manufacturers' lab conditions.
Never heard of range being higher when WLTP cycle is run in real life conditions or a customer comfort software update that increases the real life range by 50% without change in battery size. One may be tempted to believe such a thing may be possible if the software update was for the power train etc but not customer comfort stuff.
Anyway enough said.
So @WilliamEV may I ask if you believe comfort 2 update does not increase real life range by 50%?
Please note the manufacturer is not claiming such magic. A list of changes to expect was given by the manufacturer and nowhere on that list is range mentioned. Surely if true real life range was going to increase by 50% just with a software update that will be no. 1 on the expected changes list.
In my opinion if someone claims to have experienced such magic then the one has a supernatural 44.5 kWh car that instantly turns into a car delivering the equivalent of 62 kWh battery by just updating it's customer comfort software without a battery change. ZS EV is not supernatural.
I do not believe there is any truth to such claims but I respect all those who choose to believe that is what has happened to their ZS EVs following the C2 update and wish them all the best.
Let's please move on amicably.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom