Consumption Graph Not Working

JeffMcC75

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Often I bring up the battery consumption screen whilst driving, but the graph which is meant to chart the efficiency as the journey progresses never moves, it only displays the current efficiency at the far left of the screen without drawing a chart, no matter how long I drive for. Has anyone else experienced this? Is there something I am doing wrong?

20240113_214226.jpg

What Infotainment version do you have? (I recall that one/some version(s) had an issue with populating this graph).

It works fine on my SE SR.

I have the same issue on mine, version R033.
Next week the car will be updated at the dealer and I hope having this issue fixed.

This was definitely an issue with earlier version software on the Trophy but was fixed with later versions. Mine started working after the software updates at my first service.

I know Trophy software runs on different versions than the SE, I'll just request the latest software update when I bring it to its first service in March

The graph on my Trophy works fine, however the pie chart on the left no longer shows the percentage used for ancillary functions such as heating etc. Stopped working a few months ago. This is despite winter driving using cabin heating, seat and steering wheel heating. It is always 100% blue.

My Trophy is on V33 and does show proper consumption. I haven't done a long journey since the last charge so have not got full lefthand details but I have seen ancillary use and regen details previously.

I note that my graph y-axis max is 30miles/kWh whereas JeffMcC75's is 10. Could be part of the problem but where the setting is, who knows.

Attachments

• Graph.jpg
    Graph.jpg
    227.9 KB · Views: 99
A thing to notise, the graph does not behave the same showing km or mls.
It seem to work as intended in km but something is not right in mls.

Whatch my photos from today of my LHD Luxury/Trophy R46.

Attachments

• 20240120_154116.jpg
    20240120_154116.jpg
    234.7 KB · Views: 61
  • 20240120_153954.jpg
    20240120_153954.jpg
    236.9 KB · Views: 60
Why on earth do they use a different unit in metric? (kWh/100km).

Same here, useless.
Because it's the logical way to do it as the metric system is scalable, we use L/100km in metric and the equivalent to that is Kw/100km.

Your miles to the gallon works backwards because that's the only way the imperial system could make sense.

Given that people are interested in range, then distance per capacity (miles/kWh ... km/kWh) would seem the correct method surely? ;)

The calculation is easier when knowing the usable capacity of your battery. :) (Mile or km per kWh x Capacity = range. Doing it the Metric way is a more-convoluted calculation)

Given that people are interested in range, then distance per capacity (miles/kWh ... km/kWh) would seem the correct method surely? ;)

The calculation is easier when knowing the usable capacity of your battery. :) (Mile or km per kWh x Capacity = range. Doing it the Metric way is a more-convoluted calculation)
Actually miles per percent would be much easier for most people and correlate easily with the battery readout.

And? Is that a problem?
Lets say my car in todays road and weather conditions uses 190w/km (19Kw/100km).
Lets say I need to drive 213km/132ish mls.
That is 190x213=40470w or 40,47Kw. Or roughly 60% of my cars battery capacity.
To be honnest in this case a qiuck one would be 200x200=40000Kw or 40Kw if you wish.

The thing is I can read the 190w (watt/km) out of the spedo screen as 19Kw/100km in metric it's dead easy to scale down to 190w/km, then it's a matter of multiply by the distance I intend to drive, in this case 213km.

I set my the useful capacity of my car to 61Kwh or rather 60Kwh for quick calculations, so about 75% should give me enough range to do the trip if the roads are reasonable flat and my consumtion does not go much up because of head wind.

When taking about the non linear % of most EVs, I calculate % in the MG4 with 64Kwh battery like this (rule of thumb):
1/3 of battery capacity is 40% ish (20Kwh).
2/3 of battery capacity is 75% ish (40Kwh).
3/3 is offcourse 100% (not ish). 😉

Of course, this is very roughly calculated, but this is much closer to the truth than 33.3% 66.6% etc. In any case this is more than good enough for daily use and as I get to know my car better, I can adjust those ishes closer to reality if needed.

Last edited:

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 500 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel