carmelo

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Hi,
What is your MG4 consumption like (city driving / Highway)?
Mine started at an average of 15.5 kWh/100km local driving and 18.7 kWh/100km on highway averaging 120-130 km/h.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
i live on a warm Caribbean island with only city traffic. I am at 17.4 kWh/100 km, guess the air conditioning takes more energy.

Rain, heater and motorway driving have hammered my SR. Getting stuck in motorway traffic the other night made virtually no difference and still 2.8 miles/kWh.

In this (bad 7degree Celcius lot of rain and wind) weather I get 23kWh/100km highway speed (120 km/h) .
City driving (up to 90 km/h) between 14 and18 kWh/100km.

My Trophy/Luxury having a blast munching on the Kwh in the cold (-1°C to -6°C).
Stats December is 1227km/762mls driven.
Consumption (as stated by the car) is 25,2 kWh/100km or 2,4 mls/kWh.
Mixed driving conditions.

Now in -9C I see up to 29,8Kwh/100km, since the MG4 does not show consumption over this (298 Wh/km) I think it's safe to say it probably is a bit over 30 kWh/100km from time to time.

Noticed that from 100% the GOM predicted 405km/252mls, now at 50% it's predicting 150km/93mls after been driven 150km/93mls. Do think 300km/186mls will be a stretch because the driving is mostly short trips with heating up the car from -5 or more each time.

I see the monthly stats for now is about 25,5Kwh/100km 2,3ish mls/kWh.
Driving conditions until now have been dry roads and no snow/rain.

Disclaimer:
I do not in any way do economy driving, I keep my heater set at 28C (in reality 22ish C) and if possible let my car "idle" to keep it cosy warm.
So I do not complain, this is still way way cheaper than firing up my Toyota 2,0 Diesel as I have only paid 518,26nkr/39,53£ for the December electricity for the car.😄
My diesel would have used over 2000nkr/153£ for the same distance.

Consumption in December for my car was as reported from the car 309,2 kWh.
As reported from my charger was 337,18 kWh.
Losses from charging and driving aprox 8,3%.

How do you calculate the charge loss? I can only see percentages loaded in the battery. No kwhs. Of course you can recalculate using percentages. But these numbers are rounded off to whole numbers.

I must admit I'm a bit disappointed with the Winter consumption of my MG4. :(
I was getting over 4 m/kWh in the Summer (using AC when needed) and now I'm getting 2 m/kWh or less (heater set at 25C), that's basically a 50% drop.
With my old 2020 ZS I got around 4 m/kWh in Summer and 2.9 m/kWh in Winter, only a 25% drop.
This is the same journeys, all short and city driving.
The only difference in settings was that I only had to set the heater to 21C in the ZS, but the 25C setting in the 4 is about 5 degrees out so really it's set to 20C.

I do not know where this difference is coming from (firmware update on heat pump?) but my AC Is on manual and set at 21 degrees. Fan in postion 2 or 3. And the air coming out is definitely warm enough. Maybe my mg4 extended range has different hardware? It was delivered in december 28th.

How do you calculate the charge loss? I can only see percentages loaded in the battery. No kwhs. Of course you can recalculate using percentages. But these numbers are rounded off to whole numbers.
I can't, have to combine losses from charging and driving (total losses). It's very approximate as I use the cars reported numbers (close enough) and convert them with driven distance for the same time to Kwh used, again cars numbers and stil close enough. Then I do have exactly consumtion put in to the battery from my home charger (the powercompany surly has this nailed). What I can not do is single out drivetrain losses from charging losses, but to be honnest it's the total losses that converts to total running costs/mile and that is what I'm interested inn.

I must admit I'm a bit disappointed with the Winter consumption of my MG4. :(
I was getting over 4 m/kWh in the Summer (using AC when needed) and now I'm getting 2 m/kWh or less (heater set at 25C), that's basically a 50% drop.
With my old 2020 ZS I got around 4 m/kWh in Summer and 2.9 m/kWh in Winter, only a 25% drop.
This is the same journeys, all short and city driving.
The only difference in settings was that I only had to set the heater to 21C in the ZS, but the 25C setting in the 4 is about 5 degrees out so really it's set to 20C.
Has your journey mix changed? I'm getting 2.6m/kWh (3.7m/kWh in summer). But not on short local journeys, they are at 2m/kWh.

Yep, I've noticed short journeys really kill the consumption. Daily commute gets me about 2.6-2.8 miles/kWh.
Long journeys are much better, even in winter. Visiting relatives over Christmas I managed 3.4-3.6 miles/kWh depending on the route.

HVAC as a much greater impact on shorter journeys than it does on long ones, so efficiency with shorter journeys will be poorer.
True, but why the big % loss difference compared to the ZS ?
Is the MG4 heater less efficient, it's certainly not as good as the ZS ?

I may not be the standard MG driver (coat on) but with ac at 22 at first, later on 20 degrees I did 83 km with 70 km on a highway. Temp outside was -3, light snow.
Average speed was only 75kmh but converted into miles I still managed 3.3 mls/kwh

My wife's 145 mile round journey commute to Birmingham yesterday, largely on motorway standard roads consumed 41.87kw = 3.46kw per mile. Not at all bad given cold temperatures of max 4 deg celcius.

woops - I did of course mean 3.46 miles per kw!!

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 516 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 87 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back