My Q4 2023 numbers as posted elsewhere:

screen-shot-2024-01-14-at-4-52-49-am-png.22899

17.3 kWh/100km (3.59 miles/kWh or 5.78 km/kWh)

Mostly 100-110 km/h roads and highways. Northern NSW, Australia.

I find this quite fascinating that since going to an EV, we are all looking at AC, temperature changes, weather, heating city/urban/slow driving, night driving/ tyre pressures etc etc, All those things existed with our outdated combustion engines. I got the MG4 SR and do mixed driving and always get more than 3m/kw, I try to charge as advised up to 80%, keep the battery between 20-80% etc. All I know for sure is that it costs me 9p a Kilowatt charging at night so I’m getting between 180- 200 miles on 50 kw costs me £4.50, My electricity bills have gone up because I’m driving between 800-1000 miles a month total increase approximately between £22-£26. P/m. So it doesn’t take a genius to work out that charging from home is saving me about £150 a month. So yes I’m charging more often than filling a tank, I take more interest in all that stuff listed above, but bottom line, the combustion engine is in decline and I’m not going back if I can help it! Happy Driving everyone, it’s green, its efficient, it’s smoother, it’s getting more popular and it’s the future despite the naysayers who can’t actually stop progression. My advice just enjoy it, losing 30% - 50% in the winter, you are still doing the right thing by driving an EV.

As above plus there is also the benefit of paying no road tax here in the UK for now.

However I suspect in the future we (EV users) will start to get hit more and more with charges of some sort including road tax, so now is a good time to buy / lease your EV IMHO.

3 miles/kWh on the SE SR means a range of 150 miles. 180 miles would mean just under 3.6 miles/kWh ... I'd be amazed if you're getting that with mixed driving (town/motorway) at temperatures below 5C.

And it is recommended to charge the SE SR to 100% (on an AC charge point) ... that's why there's no limit available in the app for the SE SR. :)

As above plus there is also the benefit of paying no road tax here in the UK for now.

However I suspect in the future we (EV users) will start to get hit more and more with charges of some sort including road tax, so now is a good time to buy / lease your EV IMHO.

A flat £165 pa for road tax for EVs from 2025 I saw somewhere the other day. Presumably small ICE cars will also have to pay something too? Mother in law has a Peugeot 107 currently £0 so it would be unfair for EVs to pay and not all vehicles.

Drove around 50km this morning in -15C weather, AC on 24C and eco mode for AC. Driving mode was Normal.

70% of the driving was on highway at 100km/h speed and rest around 40-60km/h speeds.

When I got home the consumption was 22.1kWh/100km. Not bad.

Drove around 50km this morning in -15C weather, AC on 24C and eco mode for AC. Driving mode was Normal.

70% of the driving was on highway at 100km/h speed and rest around 40-60km/h speeds.

Cabin and/or battery preheated?

Pretty good. 2.81 mls/kWh converted. I'm happy to drive in ECO if it helps efficiency and don't see much difference in performance, unless I'm desperate to shoot past someone in the Sport.

Pretty good. 2.81 mls/kWh converted. I'm happy to drive in ECO if it helps efficiency and don't see much difference in performance, unless I'm desperate to shoot past someone in the Sport.
Yeah, had I used eco driving mode it would have more than likely been even lower indeed!

Rain, heater and motorway driving have hammered my SR. Getting stuck in motorway traffic the other night made virtually no difference and still 2.8 miles/kWh.
2.8 is what I am getting with my Trophy with heat, radio, and lights on, on the motorway.

I was lucky to be getting 2.8 with my SR when belting down the M74/M6 just before Christmas. More like 2.3 to 2.5. When I charged in Penrith (up to 85%) at first I wondered if I should have gone a bit higher, or if I should maybe stop at Kirkby Lonsdale and put a bit more range in, but as soon as I got off the motorway and on to the A65 my consumption got a lot better and I still had 20% battery by the time I got to my destination in Halifax. When I charged there on a type 2 and balanced, the GOM was showing 167 miles range, presumably based on the last 60 miles or so of my previous drive, not the bit before that!

Hi,
What is your MG4 consumption like (city driving / Highway)?
Mine started at an average of 15.5 kWh/100km local driving and 18.7 kWh/100km on highway averaging 120-130 km/h.

Thanks
Hi Carmelo, In the Trophy and also in Malta, I got mine early September, I was averaging 13.8 KWH/100km (Using AC, Eco mode & 1 pedal driving, but now that the weather is colder I am averaging 15.8 driving the same way.

I suspect preheating digs you into a bit of a consumption hole that takes a 10 mile or so journey to start to outweigh. So shorter journeys might end up skewed.

Oh, I'm going through charge like nothing on earth right now. Every evening. Pre-heat car. Drive three miles. Stay there (music activities in the village hall in a neighbouring hamlet) for a couple of hours. Pre-heat car again. Drive three miles home. Yesterday that took 9% of the battery. Same routine scheduled for tonight and tomorrow night and Friday night.

I don't care, I love it.

Oh, I'm going through charge like nothing on earth right now. Every evening. Pre-heat car. Drive three miles. Stay there (music activities in the village hall in a neighbouring hamlet) for a couple of hours. Pre-heat car again. Drive three miles home. Yesterday that took 9% of the battery. Same routine scheduled for tonight and tomorrow night and Friday night.

I don't care, I love it.
I genuinely don't get this pre-heat the car. Especially as your journey is just 3 miles. But who am I to criticise what you do with your own car.
It is just an observation.

I don't care, I love it.
Excellent, I’m looking forward to chauffeuring my trumpet playing Granddaughter around to school and her marching band venues etc. The only problem is she’s in San Diego and I can’t take the MG with me. My Son, her Dad has a roof full of solar panels and has ordered a Rivian electric truck but has no delivery date yet. Her Mum has a Jaguar F type which I’d love to play with but by all accounts drinks gas as if it was going out of fashion- how appropriate 🤩😍

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 516 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.7%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back