kW is a rate, kWh is a capacity. Battery capacity is measured in kWh, therefore usage of that capacity is also measured in kWh. @Alb is right - and nothing you link to will change that. (And in fact your link simply confirms what we're saying). ;)

I keep hearing people say it’s 5C out. But using a thermometer mine is only 3C out. Exactly.
So I normally keep it at an indicated 21/22C in winter on short trips and 23/24C on longer trips.

After all I keep my house at 18/19C in winter and chances are in the car I’m wearing a jumper or even a coat (on very short trips only!)

The 5C number came from anecdotal observations of other brands ... their temperature controls (where numbers are shown) tend to only go up to 27C, but the MG4 (in the app at least) goes up to 32C, hence the 5C difference. :)

I keep mine at 24C/25C year round.

I did 105.1 miles in Xpower this morning. Mainly motorways, driving normally (ACC at 68 as in no rush) and driving setting Custom (ECO power, Sport steering). Arrived with 2.9 mls/kWh and average speed 54mph and had fan on 1 with w/screen & feet at 24c the whole way. No foggy windows. Great, simple & enjoyable drive. No-one tried to race me and no need to drive like a pr1ck, so decent efficiency achieved.

Last edited:
kW is a rate, kWh is a capacity. Battery capacity is measured in kWh, therefore usage of that capacity is also measured in kWh. @Alb is right - and nothing you link to will change that. (And in fact your link simply confirms what we're saying). ;)
I wasn't posting the link to try to "change" anything, nor was I intending to say that anyone was right or wrong.

The 5C number came from anecdotal observations of other brands ... their temperature controls (where numbers are shown) tend to only go up to 27C, but the MG4 (in the app at least) goes up to 32C, hence the 5C difference. :)

I keep mine at 24C/25C year round.

Bjorn Nyland has shown quite convincingly that what is actually going on is that the temperature shown on the screen is the temperature of the air coming out of the vents, not the actual cabin temperature. Knowing that, it's possible to use the heater more intelligently.

I must admit I'm a bit disappointed with the Winter consumption of my MG4. :(
I was getting over 4 m/kWh in the Summer (using AC when needed) and now I'm getting 2 m/kWh or less (heater set at 25C), that's basically a 50% drop.
With my old 2020 ZS I got around 4 m/kWh in Summer and 2.9 m/kWh in Winter, only a 25% drop.
This is the same journeys, all short and city driving.
The only difference in settings was that I only had to set the heater to 21C in the ZS, but the 25C setting in the 4 is about 5 degrees out so really it's set to 20C.
What is so scary about these figures is when you calculate the equivalent MPG if one is paying the extortionate 'fast charging rate' of 80p/ kwh. Between 2miles/kwh and 2.5miles/kwh your equivalent is between 15MPG and 20MPG. Why fast charging is nearly 3x the cost of the domestic tariff is beyond me, other than greed!

Why fast charging is nearly 3x the cost of the domestic tariff is beyond me, other than greed!
Bit of greed. Lots of having to recoup the costs of transformers, high voltage lines, the charging points and the ongoing maintenance and ground rent costs.

I must admit I'm a bit disappointed with the Winter consumption of my MG4. :(
I was getting over 4 m/kWh in the Summer (using AC when needed) and now I'm getting 2 m/kWh or less (heater set at 25C), that's basically a 50% drop.
With my old 2020 ZS I got around 4 m/kWh in Summer and 2.9 m/kWh in Winter, only a 25% drop.
This is the same journeys, all short and city driving.
The only difference in settings was that I only had to set the heater to 21C in the ZS, but the 25C setting in the 4 is about 5 degrees out so really it's set to 20C.
What does your energy consumption screen show for usage. If short journeys & city driving then you would normally use high regen/OPD and this always seems to improve the efficiency. As mentioned in my post today, I got 2.9 in an Xpower for a 105 mile mainly motorway journey with 1 fan speed heating on all the way, but with ECO as part of Custom.

1000009815.jpg

Just for giggles. Here is my estimated range at 46% battery in -17c in Norway. 89km, which would give a range of less than 200km from 100%. Or under half the wltp of 435km. 🤣 Got slightly worried since my range home was about 110km. In the end I arrived at home with 9% left, so it was a bit more pessimistic than reality. But overall my estimated winter range is about 270km at -10 or so from 100%. So MG 4 is among the worse cars for winter range, in the summer I get close to wltp range.

Here's my daily consumption rate for about a year, plotted against average daily temperature* in my locality, where I travel the most. The results are scattered due various factors but the trend of decreasing number of miles per kWh with temperature is clear.
efficiency.jpg

Here's a conversion between miles/kWh and kWh/100km - I still get confused!

miles:kWh conversion.png

* from Historical Weather Data & Weather Forecast Data | Visual Crossing

Well, I will leave others to decide whether I meant kwh or kw. The Differences Between kW vs. kWh Explained - EVESCO.
You mean per miles per kWh. How far you can travel when consuming a given amount of energy.

Miles per kW makes little dimensional sense.

Miles per hour per kW makes dimensional sense though. That's how fast you go at a given power output.

Maybe you meant Parsecs? There's a chap I know who boasts he can do the Kessel run in less than 12 Parsecs
That's because Solo had the balls to take a shorter but more dangerous/difficult route.

Here's my daily consumption rate for about a year
That's neat. How have you collated the data?

3.5 Miles per KWH is OK, that is what I got over 2500 miles (Nov and Dec 2023) with 3/4 of the journey being on Motorway with maximum speed of 65 miles, obviously as the temperature drops the range reduces, see the photo for tonight (without air-conditioning otherwise it would have been 190 miles, SE Long Range). I dont' drive the MG during cold weather anymore, I use a diesel car that at 70~75 miles returns around 55 miles to a gallon with heated seats etc!!!!

Attachments

• 20231231 temp = +3.jpg
    20231231 temp = +3.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 48
  • 20240113 temp=0.jpg
    20240113 temp=0.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 48
  • Average usage.jpg
    Average usage.jpg
    553.4 KB · Views: 47

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes