I genuinely don't get this pre-heat the car. Especially as your journey is just 3 miles. But who am I to criticise what you do with your own car.
It is just an observation.

I love it. With my Golf I turned everything on including the heated seats but I'd driven ten miles before the car was warm enough for me to stop shivering. Getting straight into a warm car is absolute luxury.

Also, I had a passenger last night, so I was showing off.

I love it. With my Golf I turned everything on including the heated seats but I'd driven ten miles before the car was warm enough for me to stop shivering. Getting straight into a warm car is absolute luxury.

Also, I had a passenger last night, so I was showing off.
I love the preheat function. No more scraping ice off windscreens. Just wish you could schedule it. Have to set a reminder on my phone to do it, so I don't forget.

I love the preheat function. No more scraping ice off windscreens. Just wish you could schedule it. Have to set a reminder on my phone to do it, so I don't forget.

I just do it when I'm getting ready to go out. By the time I've put my shoes on and got my bits and pieces together it's warm enough.

I genuinely don't get this pre-heat the car. Especially as your journey is just 3 miles. But who am I to criticise what you do with your own car.
It is just an observation.
I think Rolfe means she is pre-heating the cabin not the battery.

Oh, I'm going through charge like nothing on earth right now. Every evening. Pre-heat car. Drive three miles. Stay there (music activities in the village hall in a neighbouring hamlet) for a couple of hours. Pre-heat car again. Drive three miles home. Yesterday that took 9% of the battery. Same routine scheduled for tonight and tomorrow night and Friday night.

I don't care, I love it.
It does seem as if what REALLY kills m/kWh is very short journeys in the cold. A few trips like that and your range estimate plummets. But then when you make a longer journey, things recover. As you drive, the battery warms up, and starts performing again.

It does seem as if what REALLY kills m/kWh is very short journeys in the cold. A few trips like that and your range estimate plummets. But then when you make a longer journey, things recover. As you drive, the battery warms up, and starts performing again.
What puzzles me though is why the 4 is so much worse than the ZS at this.
My old 2020 ZS used to do 110-120 miles on a charge in Winter short journeys 160 in Summer, a loss of 25%
Same journey in the 4 and I'm lucky to get 140 miles usually it's nearer 120, that's a loss of nearer 50%.

I think Rolfe means she is pre-heating the cabin not the battery.

Uh, yes. I've never pre-heated the battery. The car was in the garage so not iced-up, but if it had been I'd certainly not have wanted to drive off unable to see through the windscreen for frost! Not even for three miles.

It totally does, although the worst 100% range estimate I've seen on the app has been 145 miles. But if you're only doing short journeys it doesn't matter, because you just plug in when you get home.

The six-mile round trip at sub-zero temperatures with two goes at heating the car seems to be using 9% of battery. I got back on 82% last night, third go tonight.

Consumption's stuck to a little over 30kWh/100km for some time now, thanks to cold weather. Can't really say because the value is capped to 29.8kWh/100km, maybe some wise dude at MG thought it would seem more efficient that way, lol.

I wouldn't even think about not preheating the battery and not using intelligent battery heater when it's below -30 degrees celsius outside for the sake of its health. Anyway, never had problems starting the car and there have been zero issues in extreme cold, despite range dropping over 50%.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 516 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.7%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back